Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

Don't go there any more. EVER. Forget about the money, IMO.

You can use a SEMI PERMAMENT color that has ASH or COOL in the color name. SEMI isn't damaging but washed out in a week or two. But it will cut the brass and won't damage.

DEMI Permanent will do the same thing as SEMI but will last much longer. It's isn't as damaging as permanent color but it will be a tad stronger (slightly damaging) than SEMI Permanent.

Sally Beauty Supply has a brand of Semi Permanent brand called Clairol Beautiful Collection. They also have a brand called ION that is Semi Permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Do NOT go back to the salon. Send them a certified letter with pictures and ask for a refund of ALL money paid. You might not get it, but still try. Find the name of the salon owner and address directly to her/him.

Certainly try to dispute charge with credit card company.

Post a yelp review with pictures of your hair.

Contact state licensing board.

As for your hair: I can't quite picture what it looks like, but dyed hair/highlighted hair takes color very differently. I would do one of three things: 1) call around to find someone who does corrective color and then ask the original salon for reimbursement or

2) go to a salon and get a haircut/trim and just ask for advice. I'd be really honest and just tell them that I spent a ton of money on a bad salon color and I need to do something at home to fix it. I've done this before and my stylist was very helpful.

3) Choose a demi in a shade that is between your lightest color and your darkest color currently on your head. So if you have warm blond shades and dark brown shades, I'd choose a light brown shade. I would choose a neutral. That should blend everything together without any weird/unnatural shades. It might end up warmer than you'd hoped for, but ash can be tricky to work with, especially if you're also dealing with gray.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 AM

797 posts, read 1,750,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Don't go there any more. EVER. Forget about the money, IMO.

You can use a SEMI PERMAMENT color that has ASH or COOL in the color name. SEMI isn't damaging but washed out in a week or two. But it will cut the brass and won't damage.

DEMI Permanent will do the same thing as SEMI but will last much longer. It's isn't as damaging as permanent color but it will be a tad stronger (slightly damaging) than SEMI Permanent.

Sally Beauty Supply has a brand of Semi Permanent brand called Clairol Beautiful Collection. They also have a brand called ION that is Semi Permanent.
Would you dispute the whole ordeal with the credit card company? I'm crying today looking at my frayed ends. The way the 1st stylist cut them (against my wishes) with thinning shears (on dry hair ) makes the ends so frizzy. I sent pics to friends and they're like wtf did that girl do to your hair!?

I'm afraid the manager (who is supposedly going to contact me tomorrow) is going to argue that she "fixed" the problem for free the thing is I wasted 2 days at the salon with an end result I didn't want. My hair looks almost the same as before I went to the salon- but with brassy color over it (even with what the 2nd stylist did! Still very auburn.. Not what I wanted- but it is a HUGE improvement from the orange/copper/pink so I can live with it). I also have thinned out hair (some pieces the 1st stylist thinned out up near my EARS!!! And the ends look like crap because she dry cut them (which I told her makes my hair frizz/fray!). So now I have to deal with that too. Even though they made the problem hair to an acceptable level it still isn't what I wanted and overall the experience sucked. Plus my head has a bruise behind my ear from all the yanking the 1st stylist did on my head while I was in the sink

Do you think it is grounds for my credit card company to rule in my favor if I dispute it?

Old 11-08-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Do NOT go back to the salon. Send them a certified letter with pictures and ask for a refund of ALL money paid. You might not get it, but still try. Find the name of the salon owner and address directly to her/him.

Certainly try to dispute charge with credit card company.

Post a yelp review with pictures of your hair.

Contact state licensing board.

As for your hair: I can't quite picture what it looks like, but dyed hair/highlighted hair takes color very differently. I would do one of three things: 1) call around to find someone who does corrective color and then ask the original salon for reimbursement or

2) go to a salon and get a haircut/trim and just ask for advice. I'd be really honest and just tell them that I spent a ton of money on a bad salon color and I need to do something at home to fix it. I've done this before and my stylist was very helpful.

3) Choose a demi in a shade that is between your lightest color and your darkest color currently on your head. So if you have warm blond shades and dark brown shades, I'd choose a light brown shade. I would choose a neutral. That should blend everything together without any weird/unnatural shades. It might end up warmer than you'd hoped for, but ash can be tricky to work with, especially if you're also dealing with gray.
Send me a message with your email address and I will email you pics of my hair. I am sitting here crying. Also, see the other message I just posted (above.. Idk how to "tag" you in it).... I'm so distraught. I know it's "just hair" but I deal with so many medical problems that this was the one thing I was looking forward to. Just some "me" time to escape the issues in life and help make me feel better by freshening up my look and making my hair look nice. And instead this ordeal has been nothing but horrific, expensive, and time consuming... And I'm the end not what I want.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:52 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove0000 View Post

If I buy a box of very very dark brown (or even jet black) and dye over everything would that help cover all the color and bring it back to one tone? I cannot be seen with hair this bad!!
Don't do it - it will only get worse.

Insist on a refund from the place that messed up your hair, then use it to find a real professional to fix it. It sounds like they did a horrible job on your hair, and I've never heard of anything like what they did to yours. Sounds like they had no idea what they were doing - perhaps the other stylists knew she was screwing up, but didn't want to say anything in front of you. I've seen that happen before. She might have screwed up in the beginning and then was just trying to fix it.

I think you can get your money back - or at least get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it for free. You can always threaten to put a picture of your hair on Yelp.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:07 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
You can certainly dispute the charges on your credit card. I'm not sure what the criteria are for refunding a charge. Its a you said/she said situation.
You need to save the photos of the results in case you need them in the future. Have other people seen your hair? What do they think?
Maybe you are just wrong? Its kind of hard to believe that two separate stylists would not be able to make your hair look nice, unless your expectations were unrealistic.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You can certainly dispute the charges on your credit card. I'm not sure what the criteria are for refunding a charge. Its a you said/she said situation.
You need to save the photos of the results in case you need them in the future. Have other people seen your hair? What do they think?
Maybe you are just wrong? Its kind of hard to believe that two separate stylists would not be able to make your hair look nice, unless your expectations were unrealistic.
Everyone who saw my hair agreed with me. I actually called my neighbor when I got home from the salon the first time. I asked her opinion and she was the one who said "oh my f**king god what did that girl do to your hair?!" And I emailed the pics to my fam/friends who agreed it was a huge eff up. I also don't think I was being unrealistic. I showed pictures. Asked the girl if she could do it. She assured me she could. I wouldn't have proceeded if she told me my hair would come out brassy. In fact I started the consult by saying I hate brassy or yellow hair once highlighted. She told me my hair would NOT be like that.

I am happy to email pictures if you message me your email address. Like I said I even took a picture of the bath tub water with the color in it, from when I got home yesterday (after the 2nd stylist fixed my hair). I do have thick hair but never in my life has color been left in my hair like that. I can forgive the 2nd stylist because she was in a rush to squeeze me in but considering this happened the first time too raises a red flag

Old 11-09-2015, 10:19 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Don't go back to the salon. I wouldn't even talk to manager.

I would send a certified letter to the salon requesting a refund for both services + whatever I paid another professional to fix it. I would send pictures. I would say I'm filing a complaint with state licensing and the better business bureau (do a cc at the bottom of the letter to both agencies).

For now, go for a free consult and see what they say.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:38 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
I understand your being upset but I dont understand why you feel the need to email people here photos of your hair. You've already emailed pictures to family members and friends for confirmation of how terrible your hair looks. Why do you need even more confirmation?

Please take the good advice that has been given here. Contact your credit card company to dispute the charges. With some companies you can even do it online.

Last edited by TFW46; 11-13-2015 at 10:54 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 05:29 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove0000 View Post
The second stylist was professional. She was kind enough to rearrange her schedule so for that I am grateful. However idk if she was stressed, or it was just an awkward environment for her (the original stylist was across from her), but she barely spoke and even when I initially sat down she tried to play it off as though she was just continuing the color correction process to which I told her, NO. We aren't continuing anything. We are fixing what was ruined! And I told her to do an all over dye. I asked for dark Ashe brown. She insisted on half Ashe half golden. Said it would look better. She didn't have time to blow dry my hair but that's ok.

Overall I left the salon better than I did the day before and didn't have to pay anything. but it still doesn't look like what I wanted and I wasted nearly 11 hours of my life sitting in uncomfortable chair all to get hair that looked almost exactly the same color, but with a botched hair cut and thinned out too much.

I noticed today before I left that they all share combs and brushes and whatnot. How is that sterile?! Does that violate any laws? I feel like reporting them if it is illegal. After all they put me through idc if the salon gets shut down

Well,

I'm not a professional, but:

Hair dye does sometimes leave residue
* Some dyes don't rinse out fully and retain color consistency, like reds or blues for instance. It's normal to rinse a little dye out depending on the type of dye and ingredients. It doesn't sound like the hair stylist even tried this time, though, and it's certainly not acceptable to rinse that much dye out of your hair.

That was unprofessional
*You first stylist should have been fired. I have no idea why they let her get away with such discourteous service, and tips are NEVER mandatory. You should have demanded that she stop what she was doing and complained to the service desk right then and there. I'm thinking that next time you should go to a salon where no one knows you personally. Friends sometimes try to take license over one another in professional settings, and it can get messier than it needs to be, because they will expect you to take up for them even when they are wrong.

High-end salons are not worth the money
*Frankly, a beauty college could have done a much better job, from what you describe. They are accountable to their instructors, and the job they do on your hair may determine whether or not they get their cosmetology licenses, so most of them will at least try to do a good job on you. Plus, low-end salons and beauty colleges will provide a great service at half the price.

Re-using un-sterilized combs and brushes sounds like a health risk
* They should not be allowed to re-use combs and brushes; what if one of their clients had head lice?! All equipment should be sterilized / washed / boiled before use on the next client, except the items that produce their own heat and therefore kill bacteria, viruses, bugs, etc. I don't know if salons do this, though. I doubt they do. I've seen plenty of hair stylists and students borrowing brushes from other people's counters. They're professionals, though, and they're trained on spotting situations where they can't work on a client's hair. I guess it's somewhat safe to trust this. I will say, though, just because I've seen them borrow things from each other's counters doesn't mean I've seen them borrow things that were actually being used on other people's hair. I think there is a sterilization procedure required before reusing items. If this was being violated, that might be a case for the health department.

Try a place that doesn't have a luxury name
* Next time, don't go to a high-end salon to get your hair done. Just go to a regular beauty parlor that knows how to do hair. I get mine done at the beauty college and have almost no complaint whatsoever. Also, ask what a procedure involves before getting it done. If you don't trust your stylist, ask for only what you want. I'm leery of chemical anything being put on my hair, and if I want it dyed, I usually do it myself. That way, if I mess anything up, it's all on me. Usually, I just get washes, trims, oil treatments, and other minor procedures done to my hair when I go to the beauty parlor.

Dying hair does not take ten hours
* She took WAY too much time. I have extremely curly thick coarse hair, and it would probably only take them two hours for them to dye, dry, and style my hair. There is almost no excuse for a simple procedure, like hair dying, to take more than three hours; she did not know what she was doing, plain and simple.

Thank you for your story. I think I'm going to stick to beauty colleges and the salons their instructors run when I want to get my hair done from now on.

Last edited by krmb; 11-14-2015 at 05:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care