Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times

Advertisements

I want to get some for my daughter and I used some brand years ago that was a spray in and worked great. Any recommendations to get that beach like hair? Thanks for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Do you mean "sun in"? You spray it on at the beach and then it lightens your hair?

I think it's still available in the hair color section.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:16 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times
Default No, not sun in

The product that gives your hair the piece-y, beach look--it's usually a spray type thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you mean "sun in"? You spray it on at the beach and then it lightens your hair?

I think it's still available in the hair color section.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
It was basically salt water and sulfate solution. It is incredibly drying long term but short term changes the linkages in your hair.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It was basically salt water and sulfate solution. It is incredibly drying long term but short term changes the linkages in your hair.
Yes, it is easy to make, lots of tutorials on the web. Basically a little sea salt and distilled or spring water, with maybe a couple other things added. Just google home made sea salt spray or surf spray. I made some, but it made my hair way too crunchy and dry.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Okay. So I've misunderstood.

I'm amused that anyone would ever want to recreate "beach hair". I grew up on the coast of Texas, and love beaches, but have spent a LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT trying to avoid beach hair. Sticky, ugly, unmanageable, uncombable, and smelly. Beaches are GREAT, "beach hair" is something you wash out the moment you return to your hotel/home/beach shower at a park.

Ok. So I'm trying to be funny here, but also honest:

Next, will there be tutorials on how to give your white t-shirts under arm stains, and how to make your legs look like they have black hair stubble? ;D

Old 07-07-2017, 09:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:

I'm amused that anyone would ever want to recreate "beach hair". I grew up on the coast of Texas, and love beaches, but have spent a LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT trying to avoid beach hair. Sticky, ugly, unmanageable, uncombable, and smelly.

Next I'm going to read that someone wants to purchase spray on sweat stink. Or squirt their clothing with stains. ;D
Beach hair around here refers to the effect of salt water, which just changes the chemistry slightly so it makes more hydrogen bonds with itself, resulting in increased waviness or curls. Some people with stick straight hair get a piecy look, due to the forming of locks of hair instead of flyaways.

I also grew and continue to live at the beach and I don't mind the beach look, it is just dryin, which I manage with a little conditioner before I go in. As a life long surfer and oceanographer I am curious as to what in the water in Texas makes your hair smelly and sticky.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:06 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Beach hair around here refers to the effect of salt water, which just changes the chemistry slightly so it makes more hydrogen bonds with itself, resulting in increased waviness or curls. Some people with stick straight hair get a piecy look, due to the forming of locks of hair instead of flyaways.

I also grew and continue to live at the beach and I don't mind the beach look, it is just dryin, which I manage with a little conditioner before I go in. As a life long surfer and oceanographer I am curious as to what in the water in Texas makes your hair smelly and sticky.
Yeah, I wonder that too - I live on the Gulf coast of Florida, and never had that problem. As mentioned the only issue is the stiff/crunchy/dry texture hair gets from all the salt. Never any smell or stickyness.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
When I spent a lot of time at the beach I used a good sunscreen lotion, just work it in and enjoy the day. While laying on the sand though, front or back, cover your head with a small pretty scarf tied in the back or a nice hat with a brim.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:

I'm amused that anyone would ever want to recreate "beach hair". I grew up on the coast of Texas, and love beaches, but have spent a LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT trying to avoid beach hair. Sticky, ugly, unmanageable, uncombable, and smelly. Beaches are GREAT, "beach hair" is something you wash out the moment you return to your hotel/home/beach shower at a park.

Ok. So I'm trying to be funny here, but also honest:

Next, will there be tutorials on how to give your white t-shirts under arm stains, and how to make your legs look like they have black hair stubble? ;D

Clara, you are too funny ! that is exactly what I was thinking, all sorts of 'looks'. I suggested a cute scarf ... LOL! because I was thinking 'what the heck is beach hair" ? I lifeguarded at the beach(es) in my youth, and we wore those white sailor hats with the brim down. Now there is 'a look'.

But 'beachy hair' really thru me a curve. I'm still voting for suntan lotion ... Coppertone always smelled fantastic ... it is beach perfume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care