Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 10:05 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times

Advertisements

I started going gray gradually at about age 55 and still look like a brunette from a distance but more and more grays are creeping in (age 61 now).

I have been wondering how it would look if I used a temporary color that was a few shades lighter than my normal hair, to just color the grays and give a highlighted effect.

I have never colored my hair in my life so I don't even know if this is possible, or what product I would use. Every time I go by the hair color section in the store, all I see are permanent and semi-permanent colors. I want something that would wash out over time. And would be available in ordinary stores as I don't live near a big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 05:50 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Get semi-permanent rather than demi-permanent for permanent

Clairol makes a line called Clairol Beautiful Collection. Within that collection is a sub-line that covers grays and stays on a bit longer than the other version. This one is called Advanced Gray Solutions
https://www.clairolpro.com/products/...ns/information

These don't come with developer (aka peroxide) and they wash out completely.

Most hair colors run a shade darker than then the bottle shows and even a bit darker than the swatch example. So get a dark blonde or light brown because med brown will be darker than expected. But as it washes out it gets lighter.

https://www.clairolpro.com/products/...on/information

You can get them online or at Sally Beauty Supply stores which are in many locations.

Ion also has a line of semi-permanent and a few other brands too.

Review the amazon reviews for any color you are considering . People give great tips online about the product. The reviews explain how much darker that product line runs (2x darker, for example)

Old 11-08-2017, 06:10 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I'm through doing my own color. I'm doing some Ash/silver highlights in my dark brown so the gray blends as it grows out. Not happy with the first attempt, the silver looks more like blonde.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:19 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I think that Cover Gray sticks might be good for you as they wash out every time you shampoo.

https://www.amazon.com/Cover-Your-Gr...3D4VQZR9GJ9MH8

Old 11-18-2017, 07:17 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Because results can be all over the place with hair coloring (I used to color mine 30 years ago, now just stripped with gray), I would just leave it natural. The products will be harsh on your hair, and not the best for your health, and although people want to believe it looks "natural" it doesn't. Depending on what additives are in your water, the coloring can react in strange and unusual ways, imagine those highlights in "rust", not red, "rust".

I have thought about trying hair mascara myself, something in silver or gold. It would wash out every time like the Cover Your Gray product mentioned above. I could not get Amazon to give me a link on a product though, but know they have that.

Oh, and I sometimes use a very strong dark coffee as a rinse, you might try that. The coffee also clarifies the hair taking out excess products that may be cleaning. While not covering the gray, it gives it a darker cast.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:46 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Keep in mind that even the demi or semi permanent colors may NOT ever wash completely out, no matter what they say. That happened to me, I could not even bleach it out. I would just leave it natural and just use products to enhance shine. I let mine all grow out and could not be happier. My natural color is so much more flattering than the dye. And I agree with the poster who said it will not look "natural", dyed hair always looks like dyed hair - I can spot it a mile away. Mine looked awful dyed and my husband told me so. It wasn't so bad at first, when I just was covering a little gray but as the gray increase and the years of coloring increased, it just looked worse and worse.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-18-2017, 05:38 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Since you are new to hair coloring try this kit. You might have to order it online from Amazon.

https://www.lorealparisusa.com/produ...r-experte.aspx

Old 11-18-2017, 06:37 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
I think I will just leave it natural. My older sister uses a men's type gray covering product and I think it does not look good . I think she would look great gray but can't convince her of that.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:22 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
New to hair dye myself. I just went to an Aveda Salon for the first time yesterday and the results were so much better than the box dye I was doing myself. There is a science to this, more than you would think.

You need to figure out your skin tone and undertone WARM or Cool. I happen to be have characteristics of both. I went from a dark brown (box) to a Dark *Ash. The gray makes me look washed out. My eyebrows are still naturally super dark so why not dye ?

I still have questions though. The treatment yesterday lasted on 5 minutes. It was called grey blending. I thought developer takes 15 minutes to work then the color process happens. I wonder if salons products are that much superior than box dyes to cause this effect ?

Some people look great in grey hair while others don't. That's a fact.

The coffee idea sounds interesting

Old 11-25-2017, 06:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
New to hair dye myself. I just went to an Aveda Salon for the first time yesterday ..
I still have questions though. The treatment yesterday lasted on 5 minutes. It was called grey blending. I thought developer takes 15 minutes to work then the color process happens.
Maybe this is what you got at Aveda. Looks like you can purchase the products online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlA-xpAevP8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care