Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:53 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

I just watched video on how to style a short, curly bob. Yikes! She messed with 3 different products, first dry naturally, then use a diffuser, then a huge curling iron. It was rediculous how much she worked her hair. It looked great but I don't want to subject my hair to that much trauma.

If you have curly hair, how long do you wear it?
How many products do you use including hairspray?
How many implements?
How long does it take you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 07:38 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
I wash my hair in the evening. Put some mouse in it. Let it mostly dry. I then put it in a loose bun/knot on top of my head to go to sleep. In the morning, I let my hair down. I put a tiny, pea sized amount of Suave styling gel in my hand, run my other hand under water to get it wet, then mix the water into the gel and squeeze my curls.

No hairspray, no nothing but the mouse at night and gel with water in the morning to wake the curls up. I wear my hair down. It's just passed shoulder length. I did the same when it was about ear level. Nothing else to really do with curly hair except put it in the Chi and straighten it!

Old 11-19-2017, 10:15 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I find washing more than twice a week is too much for my thick curly waves. I use a curl conditioner, then a curl gel while it's wet, then air dry. Refresh curls daily with something like Deva's Mister Right and use leave-in conditioners as needed.

Never ever touch with a brush unless I'm going to switch to straight styling before the next washing (i.e. heavy creamy products like Tigi After Party or Redken Straight). Just finger scrunch to style.

I wear it around shoulder length with long face-framing layers.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM

106 posts, read 116,842 times
Every 2 to 3 nights I wash my hair, then put a small amount of Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity gel in...by morning it’s mostly dry, but I do use a diffuser to complete the job.

I wear my hair just past my shoulders, in layers, parted to the side. I perk it up from the front with Spritz and overall with light hairspray, to hold.

Since I sleep on my stomach and use satin pillowcases the style tends to hold fairly well; touch ups in the morning with a curl reviver from Bedhead.

I used to straighten my hair, but it caused too much damage. Then I did the opposite, and permed my hair to achieve consistent curl overall and to make it curlier. From wavy Type 2 to Curly 3, but that was a lot of work and it was at one time, also damaged.

And sadly 2 of the products shown, I have to order from Amazon now since it’s they’re no longer in stores. Spritz and hairspray...Ouidad can be found at Ulta.
Attached Thumbnails
Styling curly/wavy hair-20171120_142410_resized.jpg  

Last edited by nmg63; 11-20-2017 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 02:24 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
My hair is a bit longer than my shoulders. I use no product other than shampoo and conditioner. After it dries naturally if I don’t like how it waved in spots or want a soft curl instead, I use a big curling iron and do my whole head. The soft straighter curls last for a few days. With maybe touch up curl here and there. Easy

Old 11-21-2017, 02:46 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
My hair is currently pixie cut short. I co-wash and deep condition with a hot cap once a week. I use Aveda styling products for curly hair. Hair oil and leave-in creams and gels for the hold. I leave it to air dry. I followed the same routine when it was longer.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:08 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
My hair is almost bra-strap length; if I cut it then it will spring up into a YUUUUGE fuzzball

I wash it 3X a week (extra dry) with Nutrisse Whole Blends Olive. I condition every time that I wash with Garnier Triple Nutrition. After rinsing it out, I squeeze dry my hair and put a dollop of it in and leave it in.

I towel dry my hair lightly then let the rest of it air dry. I put in leave in conditioner which is a homemade blend of Aussie leave in, vitamin E oil, shea butter, and Nutrisse Whole Blends Honey conditioner.

I use a wide-toothed comb to smooth it out and then use my hands to crunch it into waves.

I generally take about 5-10 minutes to "do" my hair

I give it an extra conditioning treatment of argan oil when I color it to cover the grey every 2 weeks.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:59 PM

Thank you all for sharing.
Mine is just wavy, not curly. In the winter it can look shapeless.
I like my style to be neat and groomed. too messy does not look good on me.
So I experiment a lot.
Currently I oil it with a small amount of coconut oil, rinse and condition my hair every day. Shampoo less frequently. I will apply a leave in conditioner, comb it through, and then a styling cream for wavy hair. I take a short deep part to the side, style it, and let air dry. Later I will fluff it a bit and may apply apply hair spray. I like this for now. My hair is shiny and the deep parting seems to make it look neat. My hair is at just below ear level. I might let it grow a bit to chin level to make it more wavy.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:11 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
I'm just growing mine out from really short which I've had for years - and it seems like it's not as wavy as it used to be. The crown is pretty straight, some waving at the ends, which are about ear level now, and I'm unsure what to do with it. Have cut bangs and am bringing lots of top hair into the bangs but not sure how the sides are going to do.

May have to start using some gel to keep the sides a bit more perky. The bangs don't want to stay put so not sure what to do about that.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I'm just growing mine out from really short which I've had for years - and it seems like it's not as wavy as it used to be. The crown is pretty straight, some waving at the ends, which are about ear level now, and I'm unsure what to do with it. Have cut bangs and am bringing lots of top hair into the bangs but not sure how the sides are going to do.

May have to start using some gel to keep the sides a bit more perky. The bangs don't want to stay put so not sure what to do about that.
I understand bangs and curly hair don't go well together. I think side swept bangs with longer length might work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care