Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:19 AM

17,553 posts, read 39,191,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Thanks. I'll check it out. I researched henna years ago...I thought it would not lighten, is reddish (which I don't want), and doesn't cover gray?

I would love reddish, or outright red. I love red hair. But I'm sorry to say that red looks horrible with my light-med olive complexion. I did an auburn shade years ago. Didn't look good. I tried on a red wig once. Horrible. Wish it looked good, because I just love red hair. But I guess we can't all be Julianne Moore.
Your coloring is like mine and take it from me when I tell you that henna will color your hair a flaming color that will make your skin look like jaundice! You must be fair skinned with no olive or golden tones. My skin is golden and I usually have a light tan (I live in Florida). I looked best with my (younger days) natural brown, and these days my natural multi-colored silver/gold/brown hair. And keep in mind that even ONE application of henna is permanent and cannot be bleached out. If you are still curious, get some of the good quality stuff recommended here and do a small strand test underneath the back of your head. That will give you an idea what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,603,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Your coloring is like mine and take it from me when I tell you that henna will color your hair a flaming color that will make your skin look like jaundice! You must be fair skinned with no olive or golden tones. My skin is golden and I usually have a light tan (I live in Florida). I looked best with my (younger days) natural brown, and these days my natural multi-colored silver/gold/brown hair. And keep in mind that even ONE application of henna is permanent and cannot be bleached out. If you are still curious, get some of the good quality stuff recommended here and do a small strand test underneath the back of your head. That will give you an idea what to expect.
Thanks. My memory is correct, then. I thought I'd read that. Yes, I'm going to some strand tests based on the responses here. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:42 PM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions & advice.

I'm going to do strand tests with several of these recommendations and see what looks best. Thanks very much! Some recommendations even gave me the colors you guys used that worked and which ones to avoid. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2018, 03:30 PM

388 posts, read 475,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Which colors do you use? And do you have gray?
I use two thirds 7RB Dark Brown Red Blonde and one third 7CC Dark Blonde Copper Copper.

Yes, I have lots of grey under the hair colouring. Eyebrows have gone white. The matrix doesn't work on them, even just using the darker dye. So I get them dyed at a facial salon.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:17 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,067,590 times
Do not use box colors! This crap will just build up on your hair cuticle, eventually turning a shade of green/blue or an orange shade. If/when you go to a salon for professional color you are looking at spending big money to get this mess fixed.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:58 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,985,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Do not use box colors! This crap will just build up on your hair cuticle, eventually turning a shade of green/blue or an orange shade. If/when you go to a salon for professional color you are looking at spending big money to get this mess fixed.

I've used Clairol boxed colors for 20 years. It doesn't do what you describe above. It looks natural, gives highlights that look natural, makes my hair shiny, and the conditioner makes it silky soft and bouncy.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:12 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I've used Clairol boxed colors for 20 years. It doesn't do what you describe above. It looks natural, gives highlights that look natural, makes my hair shiny, and the conditioner makes it silky soft and bouncy.
Good for you that you're satisfied. Keep on keeping on, I say.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:22 AM

215 posts, read 259,335 times
Default I use this too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I've used Revlon's Colorsilk (original, not the expensive Buttercream) for years, just as a root touch up. It's less than $3 per box and, occasionally, Walmart has a "twofer" special.

What I especially like is that there's no smell because there's no ammonia. I toss the conditioner packet--that does smell "perfumey," and leaves the hair slick.

I hope they don't discontinue it in favor of their newer, expensive version.
I’ve been using Revlon’s Colorsilk for root touch up and all over color refresh every 3 months or so. Love the rich color and get many compliments. I just went to a salon for a professional color and honestly can’t go back again.

I thought I would splurge on myself but can’t do it. It doesn’t look any better than my at home color! I do have to use two boxes when I refresh as I have mid length thick hair with some gray. The gray covers well but actually adds highlights to my hair. Even the hairdresser said your own color looks terrific!

Old 10-27-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I've been using box colors for decades. It looked really good and natural. I rec'd some unsolicited compliments on it over the years, even from strangers.

But what I was using has been discontinued, which is my dilemma.

I've seen so many acquaintances ruin their hair by professional dying at a salon that I decided years ago not to do that. I believe the salon mixes are stronger, and that is the problem. The box colors are weaker, so that idiots like ME can use them. I don't know that for sure. It's just a guess.

I stick close to my natural color, but a bit lighter. Then I do ONLY the roots every few weeks, and try to blend it down the length of the hair in the last few minutes...and streak it in so that it looks like highlights. Seems to work. Or at least it did until my color was discontinued.

I'm trying Nice n'Easy, now. It's okay. But my hair is not as shiny. I may try something else.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsource View Post
I’ve been using Revlon’s Colorsilk for root touch up and all over color refresh every 3 months or so. Love the rich color and get many compliments. I just went to a salon for a professional color and honestly can’t go back again.

I thought I would splurge on myself but can’t do it. It doesn’t look any better than my at home color! I do have to use two boxes when I refresh as I have mid length thick hair with some gray. The gray covers well but actually adds highlights to my hair. Even the hairdresser said your own color looks terrific!
Is it giving any shine to your hair? I'm trying Nice N'Easy, and while the color is fine, my hair is not as shiny or healthy looking. It's not damaged. Just not shiny, which my fine hair naturally is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care