Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Just wanted some insight from women who at some point in their life decided to cut their hair short.

What were your motives?

Do you feel different?

Did you feel you were treated any different?

I am going to define short around chin or shorter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 09:36 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
I cut my almost waist-length hair off in 2006 which was colored black and had it cut into a modified pixie cut with long bangs and a spiky back. I also dyed it to it's natural light auburn color.

I had done it because I was interested in a change and bored with the look I had. I had my previous look for about 10 years so it was time to change I also could not get the black out of my hair and did not want to pay to get it professionally done so figured whacking it all off and doing it on much shorter hair would be easier and cheaper. It was.

At first it felt strange because I was so used to having the hair! It felt wonderful the first time I washed it since I did not need a handful of conditioner and it didn't take all night to dry. My mistake was chopping it all off in an Upstate NY winter--you would be amazed at how much hair contributes in keeping your ears and neck warm :: The first time I went outside with the short hair my ears and neck were freezing cold--something new to me.

Everyone complimented me on the look for the most part, saying that I looked much better with it short because it made my eyes "pop" and that the long hair had overpowered my small frame. I wasn't treated any differently that I noticed. DH loved the haircut.

It grew back pretty quickly; it was brushing my shoulders after about 7 months and bra-strap length after about a year. The longest I grew it is bra-strap length.

You can do a bit of a preview by clipping it up and seeing how it looks and always remember that it does grow back

Old 07-03-2018, 09:05 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I cut my hair ever shorter the older I got. Coping with long hair became an onerous task. But I’ve had my hair shorter for many years now. My last growout was just a few years ago, and it did not go well. Too much trouble. I did like pulling it back into a ponytail, but I decided it was not a good look for me at my age.

If I were just 10 years younger, I think I would have felt pressure to maintain my long hair. Women keep long hair now, as a badge of youth and glamour, well into their middle age.

If you cut your hair, just know that it does grow back.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:23 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Short hair is an onerous task to me. Tried it a few times as I got older, but it just doesn't work for me.

My longer hair is no sign of hanging on to youth, just what's easiest and most comfortable for me.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I started cutting my hair short when I was 12, back in 1962. All of my friends had long hair, and my Mom practically begged me to grow mine long like them. Over the years I periodically tried to grow it longer so that I could fulfill the "woman's crowning glory" ideal, but I simply couldn't stand hair growing on my neck and I also didn't think long hair suited my face. So I'll stick with my short hair from here on out. It works for me.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Short hair is an onerous task to me. Tried it a few times as I got older, but it just doesn't work for me.

My longer hair is no sign of hanging on to youth, just what's easiest and most comfortable for me.
I truly envy the older women who have lovely long, and probably graying hair. I wish I could be you!

But honestly most of the older women I see with really long hair look bad, as if they have given up on themselves.

But seeing a few older women with beautiful long hair made me want to grow mine out again. I did grow my hair out, but I didn’t like how I looked, and upkeep was so much trouble.

If you can do it, then lucky, lucky you. Go for it!

Old 07-03-2018, 02:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Just wanted some insight from women who at some point in their life decided to cut their hair short.

What were your motives?

Do you feel different?

Did you feel you were treated any different?

I am going to define short around chin or shorter.
My hair alternates between chin length and midback length (I would say butt length, but it hasn't been butt-length since the late 1990s). Typically, it doesn't go much lower than below the bra strap these days before I change it up.

I don't ever go any shorter than chin length, as it's not flattering to my facial structure. And I always immediately start just growing it out by default again after a cut, because shorter cuts require more frequent maintenance than I'm ever gonna work in. So it's just, chop, grow back out, repeat.

My motives are a change of pace/fresh look, generally.

It physically feels different for a day or so. Then it just feels normal. The first hair washing after a major chop always feels kind of crazy. If I do a cut in cold weather, it seems less static-y.

Nobody treats me any differently.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:26 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
I keep my hair in a bob - right at my chin. Easier to manage and takes less time to dry. My hairstylist is very good. He studied under Vidal Sassoon years ago in London.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I cut my very long, very thick, very unruly hair very short when I was in my early thirties and I have loved it ever since. It's pretty much an asymmetrical pixie (longer bangs on one side but very short around the ears and nape of neck). I also let it go it's natural color which I love a couple of years ago and I was surprised to find out that it's a good mix of white, blonde, gray, red and dark brown - LOL. Like most folks, it's darker around the nape and lightest at the top - lots of good natural highlights and streaking so I really love it.

Sometimes I let it get a little longer on top and sometimes I cut it off really short and choppy and I spike it, but it's always cut above my ears and above my collar.

If you have a face that suits a pixie cut, it can look very, very feminine because it can draw attention to one's eyes, lips and cheekbones.

Anyway, in my mid forties I got divorced and started dating again, and had absolutely zero issues and certainly no one seemed to be put off by my very short hair. I've also never noticed anyone reacting negatively to me or ignoring me due to my short and now basically salt and pepper (and chili powder? - LOL) hair.

I met and eventually married my husband, who has said a couple of things that really stand out about my hair over the years. The first thing he said, while we were dating, is that prior to meeting me, he had never dated anyone with super short hair. The other thing he said, when I decided to try "growing my hair out" a few years ago (a year of torture), and eventually threw in the towel and cut it all back off again, was "Thank God - I feel like I finally got my wife back."

He never tells me what to do with my hair but he has told me, after I get it cut (I sometimes go a bit longer and then sometimes do shorter and choppier) that he prefers it short.

Everyone's face and hair texture and type is different, but for my face and my hair, short short short is best. I always wear fun earrings too as well as rich colored lipstick and there's nothing butch or unfeminine about my look.

I do have to get it cut (and thinned) once a month but every other day of the month my hair takes about 5 minutes to fix so I'm ok with a once a month cut!
Attached Thumbnails
Women with short hair.....-me-summer-2017-sun-2-.jpg  

Old 07-05-2018, 07:45 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I cut my very long, very thick, very unruly hair very short

Everyone's face and hair texture and type is different, but for my face and my hair, short short short is best.

I do have to get it cut (and thinned) once a month but every other day of the month my hair takes about 5 minutes to fix so I'm ok with a once a month cut!
Same for me on all these statements. I cut my hair short my senior year of college, in anticipation of needing a professional look for my business career. Otherwise I looked like Alice from Dilbert.

Because that was so long ago and before I was really a grown-up adult, it's impossible to tell if/how I have been treated differently as a result. (On a side note, I find that I am generally treated better when I am wearing makeup and/or a skirt, or stereotypically feminine colors like pink/purple). I will say that I get tons of random compliments on it when I'm out in public, which I never got when I was sporting the long, bushy, frizzy mass of sorta curls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care