Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 06:02 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Just wanted some insight from women who at some point in their life decided to cut their hair short.

What were your motives?

Do you feel different?

Did you feel you were treated any different?

I am going to define short around chin or shorter.
Mid-back to crop cut, plus natural blonde to dyed red at the same time, 10 years ago. Still have the crop cut, but switched to using henna because henna is superior to all chemical dyes.

I did it because I was sick of always having to put my hair up for rhe folk dancing I do, including during the summer months.

I love spending less on shampoo, not to mention styling only takes 5 minutes or so in the morning. No knots, no split ends, I don't need to condition... I'm a walking advertisement for healthy hair.

People were blown away when they first saw me with the new style.
I still get compliments from people, mostly about the color. Most people have never seen a real henna-head before, and the color quality as compared to chemical dyes is obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 08:22 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Natural ginger hair is still the best.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Short hair is an onerous task to me. Tried it a few times as I got older, but it just doesn't work for me.

My longer hair is no sign of hanging on to youth, just what's easiest and most comfortable for me.
I agree. I chopped off my hair - very short. It was a hassle to maintain. Sure it was easy to wash, but had to put product in it. Had to get a cut almost weekly - blah, blah. blah

I grew it out and now it is past my shoulders. So much easier to take care of. I get a trim every couple of months. I just shampoo and do not need to put anything on it to keep it smooth. Just flat iron and go.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I agree. I chopped off my hair - very short. It was a hassle to maintain. Sure it was easy to wash, but had to put product in it. Had to get a cut almost weekly - blah, blah. blah

I grew it out and now it is past my shoulders. So much easier to take care of. I get a trim every couple of months. I just shampoo and do not need to put anything on it to keep it smooth. Just flat iron and go.
Every woman's hair is different. My hair is cut into a shaggy, chin-length bob. All I have to do is wash, run my fingers though it, let it air dry (which takes all of about fifteen minutes where I live in the dry, high plains), and go. If I'm feeling fancy, I use some of this to give my hair a little texture and shine.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Every woman's hair is different. My hair is cut into a shaggy, chin-length bob. All I have to do is wash, run my fingers though it, let it air dry (which takes all of about fifteen minutes where I live in the dry, high plains), and go. If I'm feeling fancy, I use some of this to give my hair a little texture and shine.
Right. I don't have to use "product" in my hair to get it to do it's thing. It takes me literally about three minutes (or less sometimes) in the morning to fix it, and I get a quick cut (30 minutes) about every four or five weeks, which costs me a big $35 because I go to an artist to get it done - LOL. I wash it every four days or so and let it air dry, which it does quickly because it's short. I use the same flat iron I've been using for ten years in a coupla places and bam, I'm done. I don't color or do anything else to my hair and I even use cheap shampoo and conditioner on it, so I don't consider it to be high maintenance or expensive and I love it.

Like you said, everyone's hair is different. I have had random strangers tell me they love my hair and ask who cuts it and I am looking at their hair thinking, "But yours won't look like mine" because my particular cut isn't designed for thin or fine hair. I mean, you can cut it in this cut but the style will look different with different types of hair. Mine spikes up naturally but people with different hair might have to use a product to get it to spike up for instance.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:21 AM

I recall from seeing your photo a long time ago that you have a very flattering cut, Kathryn.

Years ago, probably in the early nineties, I was going to an excellent, if blunt and kind of rude, stylist. One day when I was complaining about my hair, he told me that I needed to knock it off. You have gorgeous hair, he said, and you need to stop fighting its nature and let me cut it to flatter its texture and color. Boom! I've had some version of the same haircut he gave me nearly thirty years ago ever since, and it's always been super easy to do.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I recall from seeing your photo a long time ago that you have a very flattering cut, Kathryn.

Years ago, probably in the early nineties, I was going to an excellent, if blunt and kind of rude, stylist. One day when I was complaining about my hair, he told me that I needed to knock it off. You have gorgeous hair, he said, and you need to stop fighting its nature and let me cut it to flatter its texture and color. Boom! I've had some version of the same haircut he gave me nearly thirty years ago ever since, and it's always been super easy to do.
BINGO. (And thanks, by the way.)

My hair works best short and in some version of the style it's in now. I mean, I alter it a bit for some variety - I may let it get long on top and asymmetrical. Or I may make it really short and choppy. I may spike it up or I may let it sweet to one side. But like you, since I quit fighting what my hair WANTS to do and found a style that allows it to "be itself," it looks so much better and feels better too. And the great thing is that I don't have to do anything harmful to it (except for hitting it in a few places with a flat iron a few times a week, but it's short so I am always trimming off any potentially frazzled stuff anyway).

Don't fight the power - LOL!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
What doesn't look butch and unfeminine to one person looks butch and unfeminine to another.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What doesn't look butch and unfeminine to one person looks butch and unfeminine to another.
Which is why I really only care about what I think and what my husband thinks.

That being said, I have never one time felt like I look unfeminine. For starters I have a very feminine face. I love dressing femininely. I love jewelry and accessories and I also wear appropriate makeup including mascara and lipstick. I simply never have looked boyish or let alone, mannish. In other words, I know that I don't look "butch or unfeminine" so if some random person thinks I do, I can't even express how much that DOESN'T bother me.

I'm pretty self confident.

By the way, variations of your post could be thrown out endlessly about various hair styles, clothing styles, etc. What it boils down to is whether or not a person feels like their hair style matches their personality, lifestyle, hair type, etc.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:01 PM

1,347 posts, read 946,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Meh, long hair doesn't guarantee that you don't look "butch and unfeminine". Or frumpy. Not that it should matter anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care