Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 03:14 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,069,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I think the blending is actually easier than the top and sides. I have to go over the top and sides over and over just to get all the hairs.
If I asked my barber how to do it, I would never go back.. He is good but I could save myself $14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 07:27 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I cut hubby’s hair, but I think it would be very hard to do one’s own. I used a #2 on the bottom, and scissors on the top. I might try #5 on the top next time, but I think a subtle transition is easier with scissors.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:58 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I cut hubby’s hair, but I think it would be very hard to do one’s own. I used a #2 on the bottom, and scissors on the top. I might try #5 on the top next time, but I think a subtle transition is easier with scissors.
I used scissors on top also. That’s how the barber did it.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:13 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
If I asked my barber how to do it, I would never go back.. He is good but I could save myself $14.
Basically just run the #2 straight up into the air. As it goes up past the point where your head starts to turn, it naturally blends. If you have in between guards (3 and 4) you can go slightly in with those to blend more. Just don't try to "flick" the clipper away before getting all the way to the top ridge, which might give an unwanted "mushroom" shape. In other words, looking towards your face in the mirror the sides of your head should be vertical and never tapering out.

In the back you can go up even farther because you need to cut the "swirl" area a little higher. So you actually need to go into the head more at an angle in the back, rather than straight up.

If you don't have the in-between guards you could just wait a few days and go upwards around the top perimeter with the #5 again, to blend it more.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:30 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Dang, how about giving us a break? Some of us have resorted to having our wives cut it in the driveway!
My SO does it out on the deck. And she mostly just trims the scruff on my deck. This always come with her chuckling and saying, "You truly are a hairy beast."

I've tried to convince her to cut my actual hair with the clippers but she's afraid she'll mess it up and then never live that down. I've told her she has 'immunity' regarding any mistakes she might make with the clippers, but she's not buying it....

--

Old 05-02-2020, 05:41 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
I read this th. read and realize what some people are willing to do when they are deprived of something they have regularly. I am a barber and have ran into a few of my regular customers either at stores or parking lots and some have taken trimmers and scissors to their heads and have done quite a number on themselves. It is going to suck when we reopen. There are going to be a lot of screw jobs to be fixed. At least some of my best customers have accepted my offer to come to my house for a haircut and have maintained their sharp look. Hell I have met new customers because one refers another one and so on. Most of them have been police officers so my neighborhood has been even safer lately. It is my way to serve those FirstI responders and make a little bit of money too.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:28 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
I'm letting my hair grow out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care