Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 515 times

Advertisements

I have dark brown hair and 50% gray. For many years I have been pleased with my stylists routine of dyeing my hair light golden brown all over, (yes, bleach was used) and then adding in all over foil baby highlights in three colors:dark blonde, honey and caramel. I went back every six weeks alternating with one visit being root touch up of the light golden brown and then six weeks later the touch up of the highlights. The grays were blended in with this technique. I loved my hair.
I recently moved across the country and have been unable to find a stylist willing to do this. I researched which salon in my area had the best coloring reputation and got a consultation. I explained the above technique and was assured the stylist could do this. When I went in for my appointment she insisted she had to base dye my hair my natural dark brown color, not light golden brown, insisting bleach cannot be used before highlights. I explained I would wait and have the highlights done six weeks later. She insisted waiting would make no difference and that my hair had to be dyed to my natural dark brown, which came out way too dark. After doing the base color, she insisted there was no need to wait and could proceed immediately with highlights. Instead of weaving in three colors, she only used only one color, light blond, and did chunky highlights instead of baby ones. I looked like a skunk! When I complained this was not what was discussed at my consultation, she said her method was better and that with her method I would only need to come in every eight weeks, instead of six. I complained to her manager, was offered no correction, so I won't go back again.
I home dyed the highlights back to dark brown and then had one all over color I hated, but at least I didn't look like a skunk! I waited eight weeks to again attempt to have my hair done.
The closest large city to me is Reno, Nevada, (four hours away) so I researched which salon in Reno had best reputation for color and called them. Again, I was assured my original technique could be followed. When I arrived for my appointment I was asked why I wanted three different colors used for highlights
and I explained that it makes it dimensional and looks very natural. I explained it was critical that all over baby highlights be done, not regular, chunky, highlights. They tried to talk me out of it due to cost. I insisted I was willing to pay for three different colors.
The stylist insisted she could use a technique where the base color and highlights are both done at the same time. She used foils and painted the roots and I thought she was using three different highlight colors. When she was done, my base color was dark brown with baby blond, one color highlights, regular, not baby. She then said she wanted me to see how only one color of highlights look and that if I don't like it she can go back and add more in a different color. When I told her I didn't like it and I did want more highlights in another color added, she said she couldn't do it that day and I would need to make another appointment. When I asked why my base color was dark brown, instead of light golden brown, I was again told because she didn't want to use bleach for the base color. I am not going back, as again, without my permission, the stylist did what she wanted, instead of what I asked for!
What do I do now? I cannot afford to travel back to my original stylist. Do I try San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 12:02 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
Could you call your original stylist and arrange for her to consult with the new stylist?

Do you have pictures of your hair that shows the color the way you like it to show a new stylist?

Are you consulting with the stylist that's doing your hair or a salon manager before you make the appointment?
I think you need to talk to the actual stylist and explain that if she has any intention of dying your hair a dark brown that you don't want her doing your hair. Tell her been there, done that, and don't want it again.

Maybe show her what you said here on City Data.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
You bleach your hair twice, once for the base, and once for foils?

How did you research? Reno still isn't really a big city. Could you do Las Vegas?

Old 08-18-2021, 02:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
That’s pretty interesting. I don’t think any stylist will do what you want, bleach the overall base color, then bleach sections. You had a very brave stylist before but that is not likely to ever be repeated again. Can you travel back to her? Personally I leave my gray and have two foils of blonde and Carmel color. Looks great and because the base is natural it doesn’t show grow out as much. Maybe time for a change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care