Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 03:13 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I worked with notbin cos for a couple of years. A good stylist coming out of a reputable training facility can hit six figures in five years renting a chair and that in small town USA.

To each his/her own. When I had a straight bob ten years ago I it required a trim every three weeks. Trim, blow, tip was 100.

Sure you can go to a beauty school, one of the chains or to the girl next door. It depends on how you want to look.
I think it may require more skill to cut bobs and other shorter haircuts. But cutting long hair with minimal layers should be difficult to screw up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 04:15 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Ok what’s the deal... listen, I understand people need to make money but why is it $150 for a woman to get a cut and a highlight?

How much does the product actually cost per person? A licensed cosmetologist can only get the professional product in some states I believe

Is the product like $10-15 per person. So for a 2 hour session the hairdresser is making $65-70 an hour?! And a lot of the time it’s cash.

Yes I know some people pay to rent a space with a chair. What about people that do it out of their home?

It just seems like there is some gouging going on. My wife even said all women talk about this and it’s kind of like this secret unknown reason why prices are so high and there’s never any set price before you sit down? Like the wild Wild West

I can see $40 an hour plus product but $70 an hour?

I pay for my hairdresser's skill. Having been burned, quite literally, by someone who did not know what he was doing with the chemicals was enough for me to realize that we get what we pay for.

Also, ask anyone whose hair has been botched by someone inexperienced but less expensive at one of the bargain chains and they will tell you how awful it feels to walk out of a salon hating the way you look and knowing that you will be stuck with the mess for at least a month.

Old 12-18-2021, 07:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I think it may require more skill to cut bobs and other shorter haircuts. But cutting long hair with minimal layers should be difficult to screw up.
My elbow long wavy hair (regrew after head injury in a different color and structure) getting butchered by a $15 haircut?

Old 12-19-2021, 08:05 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Closer to $3000 a month. And who cares about the cost of product? You're paying for your stylist's time, which includes not only the hours they are putting into your head, but also their years of training, experience, and education.

If you do not think their time is that valuable, you are welcome to find someone else or to do it yourself.
I do my own color (henna) and I get better results than I would from any stylist, plus the color doesn't fade out after 10 day/2 weeks.

I'm laughing at the prices people are paying. I just paid out $65 for enough henna for do my roots for the next year or so (my length is at full color saturation at this point). I buy top of the line product, certified pure BAQ, at $11.99/100g.

Old 12-19-2021, 03:49 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,118,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Chicago is a very affordable city. I'd even go so far as to call it a pretty cheap place to live and operate a business given the size and what it offers. The suburbs even moreso. The salon I go to is not in Chicago. I'm pretty well aware of what it costs because two of my roommates used to be stylists at two mid-range salons in the inner Boston suburbs.

But again, none of this really matters. It reminds me of some of the kooky emails my partner gets. He runs a men's grooming company and also has his own fragrance line. He frequently gets messages from people critiquing his prices because of what they figure the base cost of materials. Sure, the raw cost of materials and his rent is a small fraction of the price. That's not what you're paying for - otherwise, you'd do it yourself.

Once again - it's out of your budget, it's not overpriced. If it was overpriced, they would not be able to operate.
My household income is $150,000 with no debt other than a $1,700 mortgage. It’s not “out of my budget”. It’s overpriced

Old 12-19-2021, 05:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
My household income is $150,000 with no debt other than a $1,700 mortgage. It’s not “out of my budget”. It’s overpriced
Then go out there and look like what a $15 haircut gives you

Old 12-19-2021, 06:01 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,584 times
Quote:
My elbow long wavy hair (regrew after head injury in a different color and structure) getting butchered by a $15 haircut?
Well maybe not $15...but $30 to $40 is more reasonable for a haircut. I don't understand how anyone can hand $100 for a haircut though...That's ridiculous.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:38 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,118,722 times
Quote:
Then go out there and look like what a $15 haircut gives you
You didn’t read my post

I can see $40 an hour but $70?!?

Come on now

Old 01-12-2022, 06:20 AM

652 posts, read 680,636 times
Default $25 bucks for a haircut!?

I think it's a bit crazy for someone to pay $25 bucks for a haircut. However, that's what I did yesterday and I must say my barber did a great job. I remember when haircuts cost like $9.99 or something like that. My question is how much are you paying for your haircuts?

Old 01-12-2022, 06:24 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Free! My wife is a dog groomer, and has no problem cutting my hair. To make things interesting for her, I have to pretend to try to bite her occasionally though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care