Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 09:09 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 5 days ago)

2,049 posts, read 3,370,455 times

Advertisements

I paid $10 for a haircut in the area of Maine i live in (moved here in 2018). It was fine. I didn't ask for anything fancy or for a blow-dry.

I think my guy pays $15 at his barber shop.

I stopped getting coloring and highlights done after i retired, i just couldnt spend the large amounts of money. I colored my own for a while.

I've not been to a salon since the pandemic. I learned to cut my own via YouTube and i'm fine with it. I have long, thick curly hair and the techniques i learned work great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 02:24 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,791,044 times
Stylists actually work pretty hard. Some go to beauty school which can be expensive. They're also on their feet all day. I think many work 6 days a week. The OP is like asking how come restaurants charge so much for food when the product only costs them a fifth of what they paid for.

Stylists are just trying to earn an honest living. I'm glad there are more opportunities than only one type of job for everyone so people can choose different lines of work and don't have to turn to illegal activities like selling drugs, robbing banks, or prostitution.

Last edited by Gabriella Geramia; 01-19-2022 at 02:32 AM..

Old 01-19-2022, 06:22 AM

24,156 posts, read 32,606,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm thoughtful about whom I allow to handle my body just the same as I would be my mind and spirit. I think of body care in the same way I think of medicine or therapy - a way to keep me positive and mentally healthy

I've told my stylist more than once that a visit to her is just like therapy and it lasts for a couple of months. She's not only good with hair and knows exactly how to advise me but she provides an atmosphere of positive support and relaxation.

Having someone whom you can trust taking care of your hair is invaluable, I think. I don't have to say a word - just sit down and let her work her magic.

She charged so little for so many years that when she raised her prices I complimented her on a smart decision. It's a luxury item in my budget and I'm glad I can afford it because a visit to her makes me feel good! Not everyone who owns a scissors knows how to do that.

Edited to add: She knows that the secret is not really how you appear to others but how you, yourself, feel about how you look. What is your self-image and how can she help you enhance that? That's a rare understanding.

Ever been to a salon that's got that competitive feel, all about the "right" appearance? I have and I usually end up feeling there's something wrong with how I look that only they can fix. Often it's not what satisfies me at all.
I feel the same way. I do not want people touching me or doing anything personal who are negative. I like a calm and peaceful atmosphere, and I like to emerge not only looking better, but refreshed, emotionally and spiritually, not distressed.

Of course, I want a talented and adept hair dresser who understands my hair and my look.

I want a good experience. And a good haircut and, balayage and highlights. So, I am willing to pay a bit more for people who help me to feel and look good.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:03 AM

12,098 posts, read 8,494,592 times
I haven't read all of this thread. But i was just thinking about how hard my stylist works right at all the holidays when there are probably other things she'd like to be doing.

She's also had to put up with all the restrictions the government has placed on how she does business in the last couple of years and keep track of if any of her customers have been ill. That shut her down for a while at least once.

I know the work is taking a toll on her feet and hands after all these years so there are those physical problems that come along with it also.

She has physical therapy to tend to those so I consider part of her cost has to go back into maintaining her own wellness.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:30 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,151,600 times
It's all about supply and demand.

For most women a good hairstylist is worth a lot. If you've ever had a bad haircut that took months to grow out you know how devastating that can be.

As far as color, I tend to agree that prices have become outrageous. But that also depends on the type of coloring you are getting. I do an all-over color, not blonde, and for me I've learned to do it myself for cheap at home. However, blonde is a very difficult color to do at home due to the risk of brassiness. Same with highlights or special things like balayage.

Last time I had salon color the stylist put it all over my head, had me wait, then rinsed it out. That's not worth $85 when I can achieve the same color at home for $12. But I know many women who regularly spend $200 a month for salon color.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I haven't read all of this thread. But i was just thinking about how hard my stylist works right at all the holidays when there are probably other things she'd like to be doing.

She's also had to put up with all the restrictions the government has placed on how she does business in the last couple of years and keep track of if any of her customers have been ill. That shut her down for a while at least once.

I know the work is taking a toll on her feet and hands after all these years so there are those physical problems that come along with it also.

She has physical therapy to tend to those so I consider part of her cost has to go back into maintaining her own wellness.
Many people don't think about how hard it can be to be a service worker. Many people want them to put in the hard work but not get paid for it. They are not slaves.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:24 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,548,225 times
For those acting so surprised that other people pay a lot more than you do for their hair, do you also act suprised when people pay more for a house, car, vacation, furniture, education, and so on than you do? Do you live in a shack in a crime-infested area, drive a 20-year-old car that always breaks, never leave your own neighborhood, sit on furniture you picked up off of someone else's curb, and work a menial job as a high-school dropout?

People have different socioeconomic statuses and will pay for things according to their means and values. With most things in life, from wine to beauty to construction, unless you are very lucky and find an outstanding product or service at a low price, there is a vast difference between bargain-basement budget and higher end.

Further, I think that unless a man has longer hair, him screeching about women's prices for haircuts is a bit clueless. Your buzzcut or "just a little off the top" is MUCH different than layers, and ethnic differences in hair aside, there is not much difference from man to man. Further, if your barber makes a mistake, it grows out quickly. Cutting layers into hair is different between fine hair and thick hair, straight hair, wavy hair, and curly hair, Caucasian hair and Asian hair, a young woman's hair and an older woman's hair in terms of hormonal status and amount of grays (which tend to be a different texture) and so on. These differences become more apparent and important to consider the longer someone's hair is, and if it is botched, it takes longer to fix.

Finally, in every state I have lived in, hairdressers and stylists must not only go to special school to learn their trade, they must be licensed (which requires an exam) and keep up with continuing education to maintain their license.

My hairdresser specializes in fine hair and older women's hair. I am also going through a lovely condition called telogen effluvium. My hair is fine, and while I had much of it, this condition is distressing because I lost a lot of hair in a short time and it is everywhere all over my apartment and clothes. I have also suffered chemical burns at the hands of someone who did not handle the colorants correctly. My hairdresser takes all of this into consideration when working with my hair. It is not the same as slapping Clairol on your scalp and using your child's craft scissors on young straight hair.

Sometimes I marvel at the self-righteous judgment people on this forum have. They assume they know what is best for everyone and if someone does it differently, that person is "crazy." They talk about other people's occupations as though they can learn it all by watching a few YouTube videos and do it all themselves. (There are even more YouTube videos showing the awful and ridiculous results people got when following YouTube videos. Brad Mondo nearly makes his living off of showing how ridiculous some of those "do it yourself" hair techniques are. Yes, bleach your hair and then use Kool-Aid to color it. I hear the Bozo the Clown look is very fashionable in the circus industry.)

Sometimes I feel like a fair number of people on this forum live in isolation from the world, do not know very many people, or simply choose to live in front of their computer and judge others for being different, having different circumstances, or making different choices. I also wonder how many participants have been retired for 15, 20 years, were able to buy homes on relatively low wages, paid off their mortgages in 20 years and have been living in the same house ever since, and are also the type to go on about how easy it was for them to do all of that because they have absolutely no clue about modern costs of anything and the changes that have taken place since the 1960s and 1970s, and their comments here are just an extension of that degree of being out of touch with the modern world and economy. Truly, some people come off like they have been living under a rock with all the shock they express.

There, I said this, I own my feelings, and now I am moving on.

Last edited by Seija; 01-19-2022 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-19-2022, 01:17 PM

20,818 posts, read 8,652,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post

People have different socioeconomic statuses and will pay for things according to their means and values.

Sometimes I marvel at the self-righteous judgment people on this forum have. They assume they know what is best for everyone and if someone does it differently, that person is "crazy."

Sometimes I feel like a fair number of people on this forum live in isolation from the world, do not know very many people, or simply choose to live in front of their computer and judge others for being different, having different circumstances, or making different choices.

I agree. A lot of it is due to Grumpy Old Man Syndrome aka Manopause. They are impotent in more ways than one.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I agree. A lot of it is due to Grumpy Old Man Syndrome aka Manopause. They are impotent in more ways than one.
Haha never heard of that one before. Sounds accurate.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,423,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Ok what’s the deal... listen, I understand people need to make money but why is it $150 for a woman to get a cut and a highlight?

How much does the product actually cost per person? A licensed cosmetologist can only get the professional product in some states I believe

Is the product like $10-15 per person. So for a 2 hour session the hairdresser is making $65-70 an hour?! And a lot of the time it’s cash.

Yes I know some people pay to rent a space with a chair. What about people that do it out of their home?

It just seems like there is some gouging going on. My wife even said all women talk about this and it’s kind of like this secret unknown reason why prices are so high and there’s never any set price before you sit down? Like the wild Wild West

I can see $40 an hour plus product but $70 an hour?
That’s nothing -I just paid $240 for a trim and balayage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care