Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 11:45 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times

Advertisements

Ok what’s the deal... listen, I understand people need to make money but why is it $150 for a woman to get a cut and a highlight?

How much does the product actually cost per person? A licensed cosmetologist can only get the professional product in some states I believe

Is the product like $10-15 per person. So for a 2 hour session the hairdresser is making $65-70 an hour?! And a lot of the time it’s cash.

Yes I know some people pay to rent a space with a chair. What about people that do it out of their home?

It just seems like there is some gouging going on. My wife even said all women talk about this and it’s kind of like this secret unknown reason why prices are so high and there’s never any set price before you sit down? Like the wild Wild West

I can see $40 an hour plus product but $70 an hour?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-12-2022 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Merged 2 threads on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 12:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Capitalism.

You can go to a beauty school or a cheap chain and pay less. People will charge what the market will support. Just like everything else.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:17 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Ok what’s the deal... listen, I understand people need to make money but why is it $150 for a woman to get a cut and a highlight?

How much does the product actually cost per person? A licensed cosmetologist can only get the professional product in some states I believe

Is the product like $10-15 per person. So for a 2 hour session the hairdresser is making $65-70 an hour?! And a lot of the time it’s cash.

Yes I know some people pay to rent a space with a chair. What about people that do it out of their home?

It just seems like there is some gouging going on. My wife even said all women talk about this and it’s kind of like this secret unknown reason why prices are so high and there’s never any set price before you sit down? Like the wild Wild West

I can see $40 an hour plus product but $70 an hour?
The stylist who cuts my hair started out almost 20 yrs ago at $25 per haircut. Today she charges $65 and I pay it because I get a high end haircut, not a barber shop chop job from some of the home grown salons in my area (with people who never get any updated training on cuts and color).

Color is another matter. I stopped getting the 'partial hairlights' because between the cut and color I was spending close to $200...over that if I purchased product. I've been told that the quality of the coloring products drives that cost. You can purchase 'salon quality' products over the internet, but then you have to apply them yourself. I've tried a couple and did not find the quality even close to the salon version.

I don't color any more since I retired, due to the cost, and hoped my gray would grow out. But it is slow as molasses and so far does not look bad.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
The stylist who cuts my hair started out almost 20 yrs ago at $25 per haircut. Today she charges $65 and I pay it because I get a high end haircut, not a barber shop chop job from some of the home grown salons in my area (with people who never get any updated training on cuts and color).

Color is another matter. I stopped getting the 'partial hairlights' because between the cut and color I was spending close to $200...over that if I purchased product. I've been told that the quality of the coloring products drives that cost. You can purchase 'salon quality' products over the internet, but then you have to apply them yourself. I've tried a couple and did not find the quality even close to the salon version.

I don't color any more since I retired, due to the cost, and hoped my gray would grow out. But it is slow as molasses and so far does not look bad.
Yes to all of the above.

A stylist who can provide a quality cut/color is entitled to make good money just as a quality tradesperson is.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:03 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,120 times
There are plenty of places to get these things done cheaper.

But a great stylist is an artist. I think mine is worth every penny. I don’t get the same thing done each time. I have balayage with some foil highlights framing my face. The balayage lasts longer/grows out differently because she’s so damn good at it. I have the foils and my roots done regularly (greys coming in in my late 40s and I’m not ready to go grey).

Old 12-16-2021, 09:06 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I'm thoughtful about whom I allow to handle my body just the same as I would be my mind and spirit. I think of body care in the same way I think of medicine or therapy - a way to keep me positive and mentally healthy

I've told my stylist more than once that a visit to her is just like therapy and it lasts for a couple of months. She's not only good with hair and knows exactly how to advise me but she provides an atmosphere of positive support and relaxation.

Having someone whom you can trust taking care of your hair is invaluable, I think. I don't have to say a word - just sit down and let her work her magic.

She charged so little for so many years that when she raised her prices I complimented her on a smart decision. It's a luxury item in my budget and I'm glad I can afford it because a visit to her makes me feel good! Not everyone who owns a scissors knows how to do that.

Edited to add: She knows that the secret is not really how you appear to others but how you, yourself, feel about how you look. What is your self-image and how can she help you enhance that? That's a rare understanding.

Ever been to a salon that's got that competitive feel, all about the "right" appearance? I have and I usually end up feeling there's something wrong with how I look that only they can fix. Often it's not what satisfies me at all.

Last edited by Lodestar; 12-16-2021 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-16-2021, 09:12 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
A person can charge whatever they want, and the customer can go there, or elsewhere.

My hairdresser just raised her price for a cut and highlights to $88. from $78. A lot depends on the going rate of the competition and the cost of overhead.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:54 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
I agree... salon prices are getting out of control, especially in big cities. I especially don't think it should cost so much to get a haircut. My hair is long and fine and very easy to cut. I went to Hair Cuttery for years and got the same quality cut I would get at a high-end salon.. Unfortunately, they all closed down. I really don't want to spend more than $50 on a haircut...not worth it.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I've been told that the quality of the coloring products drives that cost. .

No one seems to know how much this product actually costs. How Much product is actually used per person in general and how much does it cost?

That’s what I want to know

It seems like the same situation with a roof or a deck. Huge markup on materials

Last edited by westcoastforme; 12-16-2021 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes to all of the above.

A stylist who can provide a quality cut/color is entitled to make good money just as a quality tradesperson is.
$65-70 per hour to cut hair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care