Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 12:47 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I used to belong to a Facebook group that was all about gray, whit and silver hair. Women would post pictures of themselves in their various stages of letting their hair grow out. A lot of women looked stunning and it was kind of inspirational.

But there WAS a certain degree of "we're better than those who color" about the whole thing and I unjoined the group. It was kind of ridiculous. We fight for our rights on some level or other every day, but we're going to pick on women who color their hair.

Back when I WAS still coloring, a friend from high school told me I should embrace my inner crone. Ummm...no! LOL
LOL! THOSE are the people I mean! "Embrace your inner crone." ???:hand: Uh...no. Her knowledge? Sure. Her crony look? I will pass.

My "friends" did the same thing - posted pictures of their hair at various stages, of out growth and congratulating themselves and each other.

What's next? A celebration of a new chin hair? Another age spot? A wrinkle?

This is just another way for women to turn on each other and diminish their choices. A long time ago, woman who colored their hair, for whatever reason were "hussies", and now we are back to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 01:10 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
LOL! THOSE are the people I mean! "Embrace your inner crone." ??? Uh...no. Her knowledge? Sure. Her crony look? I will pass.

My "friends" did the same thing - posted pictures of their hair at various stages, of out growth and congratulating themselves and each other.

What's next? A celebration of a new chin hair? Another age spot? A wrinkle?

This is just another way for women to turn on each other and diminish their choices. A long time ago, woman who colored their hair, for whatever reason were "hussies", and now we are back to that.
This made me laugh out loud!

And yes on the knowledge, no on the look. Well actually, I've seen some women do the crone look really well. It really seems to fit them. I don't think I'm one of them. Give it another 10 years then maybe!

Old 12-19-2022, 01:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I am not about celebrating or denying aging. I mean, we all age. That's all there is to it. And at different speeds. But we do all age. I always want to make the most of what I've got, so I try to stay in shape, dress well, use makeup or lipstick, etc. But I am kidding myself if I think I look significantly younger when I dye my hair. Hands. Neck. Age spots. The clues are everywhere! (I'm 60.)

The celebrating is often about no longer dye-ing one's hair, which is a hassle and can be expensive, and can actually be harmful. Ask me how I know - LOL - I dyed my hair for so many years I didn't even know what color it "really" was anymore! Turns out it is mostly dark on the underside, with every color it has ever been before, including blonde and strawberry blonde, red, light brown, you name it, but mostly silver, on the top. I absolutely love it. I doubt I ever start dye-ing it again, though I have put blue or pink streaks in it from time to time. Haven't in awhile though. Hmmmmmm....

Anyway, it's often also quite an accomplishment to get through the whole process of trying to let one's natural color grow out.

Just let people be themselves, folks.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:14 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
I let my hair grow out, took a couple of years. At first it looked like I would turn all white which I liked. But as hair continued to grow out, this sort of dark blonde/mousey color came in. I was hoping the white would be dominant color but now it’s only underneath this other color which I don’t like at all. My hair stylist said she could put in some lighter highlights on parts that are that patchy brownish color and add gloss. But this is very expensive and would need to be done regularly as the roots grow in. I can’t really afford that, I’m about ready to buy a box of L’Oréal and use the lightest cool tone color but I’m afraid of how the color will turn out. Gues I could do a patch test. Ladies, what do you think, any experience with coloring over gray? Thanks!

Old 12-21-2022, 08:17 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
I don't have any experience, but I've read that it is more difficult to color over gray.

Old 12-24-2022, 07:07 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am not about celebrating or denying aging. I mean, we all age. That's all there is to it. And at different speeds. But we do all age. I always want to make the most of what I've got, so I try to stay in shape, dress well, use makeup or lipstick, etc. But I am kidding myself if I think I look significantly younger when I dye my hair. Hands. Neck. Age spots. The clues are everywhere! (I'm 60.)

The celebrating is often about no longer dye-ing one's hair, which is a hassle and can be expensive, and can actually be harmful. Ask me how I know - LOL - I dyed my hair for so many years I didn't even know what color it "really" was anymore! Turns out it is mostly dark on the underside, with every color it has ever been before, including blonde and strawberry blonde, red, light brown, you name it, but mostly silver, on the top. I absolutely love it. I doubt I ever start dye-ing it again, though I have put blue or pink streaks in it from time to time. Haven't in awhile though. Hmmmmmm....

Anyway, it's often also quite an accomplishment to get through the whole process of trying to let one's natural color grow out.

Agree with all of this. I didn't even know there was a crone look or that other women referred to some of us as crones, lol.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:06 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I let my hair grow out, took a couple of years. At first it looked like I would turn all white which I liked. But as hair continued to grow out, this sort of dark blonde/mousey color came in. I was hoping the white would be dominant color but now it’s only underneath this other color which I don’t like at all. My hair stylist said she could put in some lighter highlights on parts that are that patchy brownish color and add gloss. But this is very expensive and would need to be done regularly as the roots grow in. I can’t really afford that, I’m about ready to buy a box of L’Oréal and use the lightest cool tone color but I’m afraid of how the color will turn out. Gues I could do a patch test. Ladies, what do you think, any experience with coloring over gray? Thanks!
Let me suggest ONE thing first, before you color. Get yourself some purple shampoo, and use it once or twice a week for a month or so. See if it clarifies and improves what you've got going on and makes you happier.
It'd be cheaper than going to a salon, and will help get rid of impurities in your hair...for example, any yellowing you might have going on.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:17 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Same here, my hair that isn't white now grows in as an ugly blah dark blonde that washes me out. So I have to color it for now. I use a demi-permanent that I get online and it tints the dishwater blonde part to a richer color, and makes the white look like lighter blonde highlights. I use Redken Shades EQ which I get on ebay, usually in a level 8, and change up the shades. That may not work if you have patches of different color rather than streaks because it will still look patchy. Otherwise you can try a permanent hair color but be careful yes do the patch test on both shades of hair.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:54 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I'm sure that for some, the thought that they can stop DAMAGING their hair by letting it go gray is a strong argument/rationale. However, I thought that it was BLEACHING dark hair to a lighter (and especially MUCH lighter) color over years and decades was what was damaging. Coloring gray hair darker is relatively gentle, especially with new formulas and demi-permanent products. I don't see it as much of a reason to stop - maybe the expense of it if you go to a salon or the bother/time it takes.

Sure, you can't get rid of aging hands very easily but they don't SHOUT age like gray hair - and it's especially obvious for brunettes who can't easily slide from "gold to silver". So I'll keep doing my own (short) hair for less than $10/month and just 30 minutes of my time.

My kind of gray at this point is very uneven and not attractive. Also, my short hair is not a new thing because I'm suddenly "old" - I've had short hair my entire life because my very wavy/naturally curly hair never looked good long. My hair is my hair...I don't get breathlessly excited every time I color it and I certainly won't be breathless should I decide to "go natural" - I guess I just get emotional over other things. <shrug>

As for non-gray hair looking unnatural past a certain age (when is that? 40? 50? 60? 70? - my grandma had only the slightest salt in her dark brunette hair well into her 70s so I'm sure some thought she was coloring!). But how is colored hair at 65 any more unnatural than the trend a few years ago of women in their 20s coloring their hair gray and often adding pastel tints? Was it okay because they were ironically gray and no one mistook it for "real" gray? Yeah, too complicated for me to figure out so I'll just do what I want for as long as I want to.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:57 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
For example, how short you cut your hair.

But not hair length if you're a balding guy, because it's somewhat involuntary.
Used to have really long hair and just got tired of the heaviness and heat.

https://imgur.com/9twqqRz

But I cut it to this little 'do and LOVE it. the back is shaved down to the skin. I can still put it in a little ponytail. Dries very fast and very cool in the summer.

https://imgur.com/te6Ar1o

Age has never been a factor in how my hair is styled.

I am 67 and do what I want with zero regard to what people thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care