Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 44,374 times

Advertisements

what would be the SAFEST home hair relaxer for a 19 year old white male with fairly coarse and curly hair. Perfectly straight hair is not expected it just needs to be safe. I've heard of organic and children relaxers but which is best and safest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,038 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmmma View Post
what would be the SAFEST home hair relaxer for a 19 year old white male with fairly coarse and curly hair. Perfectly straight hair is not expected it just needs to be safe. I've heard of organic and children relaxers but which is best and safest.

Don't use a relaxer,
use a texturizer these are designed for those with these hair types
am I safe to assume that you are not liscensed as a hairstylist?
I was going to suggest a few items that cater only to professionals, meaning
you can't purchase them unless you are licensed.
Buy a kiddie kit, or something for males (texturizer), but it would be a plus if you could tell us what you are trying to achieve as a end result?
wavy or straight.
btw any chemicals for the hair is only as safe as the person that is skilled to apply them..FYI
I hope that this helps, I suggest consulting a professional hairstylist.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:09 PM

8 posts, read 78,659 times
Hey, I used this product called Deesse, by Estella Jin Beverly Hills that I get online. My bf have similar hair type as yours, and i made him use it. It helped relaxes his hair and made it very soft, silky and sexy!! =D. I've always enjoyed touching and running my fingers thru his hair

btw, Deesse is organic, dont have to worry about it. Even my stylist loves it!

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,405 times
What does this stuff do, make the hair straighter? I'd love to make my hair less wavy.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:

How long is his hair?

If it's fairly long, why not just straighten it with a flat iron?

Lots of good conditioners can help to make it softer as well.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
Yes, I would generally say children's relaxers are the safest. My sister (who is black) used to use "Just For ME" relaxer when she was younger and she never had problems. Once she got older she switched and then had alot of problems with various brands.

I personally have used S-Curl which worked the 1st time with good results. But twice after that burned my scalp and over-processed my hair. Never tried it since. But then again, I had made several stupid mistakes prior to doing it such as dying my hair so that might not have been at the fault of S-Curl. You might have completely different results because you have a different hair texture than mine and hopefully will follow complete directions. I looked online and it seems that Africa's Men's Organic brand is the way to go. They have a texturizer kit that a reviewer on Walgreens has rated 5 stars.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:56 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
If it's fairly long, why not just straighten it with a flat iron?
The difference with getting it relaxed is that it lasts longer (several weeks) rather than having to flat iron every day.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:33 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
The difference with getting it relaxed is that it lasts longer (several weeks) rather than having to flat iron every day.
Yes, but it's not as dangerous as chemicals, nor does it smell nearly as bad.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM

8 posts, read 50,095 times
If your hair is short, coarse, and curly, I do not think that a drugstore type of product is going to offer you much help. There are a lot of "anti frizz" products, such as serums, that are effective, but it sounds like you are fighting curl more than frizz.

Professionally straightening your hair is an option if your hair is longer. Find a reputable salon/stylist, though. I had a friend who had her hair chemically straightened by an inept stylist, and my friend's hair was ruined - i.e. it all broke off. I, on the other hand, have had luck with straightening my hair in a salon. It is expensive, though. The last straightening that I had was the Yuko system, which was fast, and very low odor. The results lasted a few months. You need to find a stylist who is an expert in the straightening system that they offer and who can tell you if it will be effective for your hair type.

I think that guys who have curly hair look great when they cut it really short - just my own opinion. I think your time is best spent in finding a good hair stylist who will work with your hair type and will make suggestions as to good products for you. Salon products are better and worth spending a bit more money. You don't need a ton of different products but rather a couple of things that work really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care