Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 06:16 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times

Advertisements

The New York Times on Black Hair - BV Hair Talk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:24 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
so true. the only thing I like about "white" hair is how relatively it is for women w/ light blond hair to dye their hair funky colors like blue and neon pink. I grew up envying Dominican hair. I've come across a lot of Dominicans and have met very, very few women that didn't have a gorgeous head of thick hair (not to say they don't exist of course)
A lot of Dominicans have thick course hair like AAs. Dominicans are great about conditioning and blowing out hair. I love them. THe shop I used to freq almost all the women in their had long shiny hair....whether they were black or not.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:52 PM

105 posts, read 298,298 times
Wow, I am so mad I didn't stumble onto this thread long ago. I've been stalking nappturality and other haircare maintenance sites for months.

I have been natural for about a year now. Have been wanted to be natural since I was about 14 (I'm 31 now), but didn't have enough information and education to go about doing it. I grew up in a place (Los Angeles) where natural hair styles were not only discouraged, but ridicule, outside of braids of course.

There is a long, boring (and occasionally heartfelt) story associated with my deciding to get rid of the perm, but long to short, I *personally* don't care for the look or the feel of relaxed hair, nor the maintenance required of it. My choice. After wearing braids--mostly kinky twists--for a little over 5 years, I decided to stop messing around and just do it.

I have started a long, uncertain path with DIY extension locs. Hopefully they will turn out well. If not, I will cut them off and start all over. It's just hair.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:54 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
Wow, I am so mad I didn't stumble onto this thread long ago. I've been stalking nappturality and other haircare maintenance sites for months.

I have been natural for about a year now. Have been wanted to be natural since I was about 14 (I'm 31 now), but didn't have enough information and education to go about doing it. I grew up in a place (Los Angeles) where natural hair styles were not only discouraged, but ridicule, outside of braids of course.

There is a long, boring (and occasionally heartfelt) story associated with my deciding to get rid of the perm, but long to short, I *personally* don't care for the look or the feel of relaxed hair, nor the maintenance required of it. My choice. After wearing braids--mostly kinky twists--for a little over 5 years, I decided to stop messing around and just do it.

I have started a long, uncertain path with DIY extension locs. Hopefully they will turn out well. If not, I will cut them off and start all over. It's just hair.
Welcome to the thread........glad you stumbled on it!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:55 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Natural ladies,
How often do you wash your hair? I'm curious as to how much the response will vary based on hair and scalp texture and length. I wash my hair once a month. Anything more and my hair and scalp get dry. I may wash it every 2 or 3 weeks in the summer if I'm sweating a lot.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Natural ladies,
How often do you wash your hair? I'm curious as to how much the response will vary based on hair and scalp texture and length. I wash my hair once a month. Anything more and my hair and scalp get dry. I may wash it every 2 or 3 weeks in the summer if I'm sweating a lot.
I wash (actually co-wash) my hair about twice a week. Cowashing is using a conditioner to wash the hair instead of shampoo. It leaves the hair clean and super-moisturized.

I have type 4a/4b hair. See the hair texture chart "Her 4b is not MY 4b" spinoff(hair type chart) - Long Hair Care Forums

And I usually deep condition once a week using a cholestrol conditioner mixed with coconut oil. Afrotextured hair definitely needs to be washed more than once a month to maintain the moisture balance.

When you have natural afrotextured hair, it is important to moisturize the hair (with a moisturizing hair butter) and then seal the hair (with a light weight oil like extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil)

Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 PM

257 posts, read 1,058,147 times
Quote:
Natural ladies,
Usually once a week, sometimes more in the summer or if I'm sweating a lot. I find that if I use the right products (such as a cleansing cream) dryness isn't an issue.

ETA: I am 4a

Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
I wash my hair once a week, but I am wondering if anyone can recommend a shampoo? I have very dry hair, my scalp gets itchy sometimes but not lately. I've used KeraCare, but I'd like to try something different.
Due to finances, I haven't been able to get a relaxer since May, so I have new growth. I use a flat-iron and curling iron (for the ends) after I blow dry. But I have difficulty with the texture of the new growth.
Any thoughts on a shampoo/conditioner I could try? also, would a detangler help? thanks!!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 AM

544 posts, read 1,058,008 times
Quote:
Natural ladies,
I wash my hair weekly and I deep condition bi-weekly. Keeping your scalp mositurized is key. It has to be done rather your hair is natural or not. What type of product do you use

Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Natural ladies,
When I first had my locs done I used to wash my hair once a month. Because I have a soft hair (not really kinky) texture found that once a month washing was best......otherwise too much washing would cause some of my locs to slip out. Usually with locs there is a settling in period where slippage can be caused from things like using oils on the hair, vigorous washing or high water pressure. But now that my locs have settled in and there is no more danger of slippage........I wash/condition my hair once every two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care