Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 26,723 times

Advertisements

I know there are tons of forums on here about VA however, there are too many to sit and read through as it will take hours to search each. I am also new to this site so I have yet to learn this site. We are a military family who will be moving to Norfolk, VA in December of this year. My husband will be stationed at Norfolk naval base. Neither my husband or myself know anything about VA as a whole. We have been looking at the military housing up there. However, if we have to stay in military housing it will be temporary until we have time to learn the areas. My husband does not want to have a long commute to work. He doesn't want to drive longer than 30 minutes. We have four children ages 7,8,9 and a 2 month old. I have been looking into attending Tidewater Community College up there. I will also need to find a job particularly in the customer service field in an call center environment. Basicly I would like to know if anyone knows any good areas to live that can accomodate the commute my husband wants. Also some areas that are kid friendly and/or nice to raise children, close to the community college, places to eat, places to go for fun and shops. I am very picky when it comes to homes I do like newer homes. When looking on craigslist and some other sites the homes I have seen have been old which were built the 90's. I would like at least 2000's and above. If I will be paying $1500 in rent I would like to stay in something more up to date. We have three girls and one boy. We will need at least a four bedroom 2 bath home/townhome/apartment. We will be here for at least 5 years. If anyone knows of any rental sites that I can search for homes to rent that would be good as well. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 04:35 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Virginia Beach Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Virginia Beach VA, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Virginia Beach, Virginia

Old 08-22-2010, 10:56 AM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
Based on your wish list, I recommend the Great Neck and Kempsville neighborhoods in Virginia Beach. TCC has campuses all around Hampton Roads. The Virginia Beach campus is quite far away from Norfolk Naval Base. You may want to consider living in Virginia Beach and going to the downtown Norfolk campus. Good luck with your home search!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 AM

161 posts, read 563,325 times
before we moved to the area i did hours and hours of research. i prioritized our needs/wants. the most important factor to us was the school system so i checked a lot of school rating sites. after that things just sort of fell into place. once you determine what is most important to you (school zone, location, travel time, housing affordability, etc) the rest is fairly simple. we ended up in the 23322 zip code (chesapeake) because the schools are pretty good, the neighborhood is family friendly and safe, travel time to and from work is reasonable, and we seemed to be able to get more for our money housing wise. it takes my husband 35 minutes get to norfolk naval station and it takes me 15 minutes to get to work in downtown norfolk. good luck in your search and if you have any specific questions about this area, please ask.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:11 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
If you move to Great Neck, your poor husband will have a pretty stressful way to work. Bad traffic in the mornings and bad traffic on the way home. Try to avoid the tunnels, as well. The tunnels are always packed and it is just awful.

There are some nice areas behind Hampton Blvd in Norfolk, close to the community college and close to the base and there is also military housing.

Maybe you want to reconsider with living in a new house since most houses in the whole area are older, but they are really cute, with porches and cute details.

There is some new, hidden military housing off the Little Creek Road, close to the Little Creek Navy Base.

Just my 2Cents

Old 08-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If you move to Great Neck, your poor husband will have a pretty stressful way to work. Bad traffic in the mornings and bad traffic on the way home. Try to avoid the tunnels, as well. The tunnels are always packed and it is just awful.

There are some nice areas behind Hampton Blvd in Norfolk, close to the community college and close to the base and there is also military housing.

Maybe you want to reconsider with living in a new house since most houses in the whole area are older, but they are really cute, with porches and cute details.

There is some new, hidden military housing off the Little Creek Road, close to the Little Creek Navy Base.

Just my 2Cents
It's not as bad as you describe. The HOV is open to all traffic before 6am.
Northampton Blvd. is a bit busy in the am, because you can't get up on the HOV from the exit up onto the interstate. I take the HOV into the base many times before 6am and have no problems. Normally make it there in 20.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Well, I guess it has changed in the last 6 months when we moved away. My husband took forever and we lived next to the airport exit. Many people are not driving on the HOV and they are stuck because there are constantly some idiots causing accidents.

I worked in the Great Neck area and was home in no time, my husband's way to work was 1/3 of mine and it took him very long. I always drove the opposite side on the highway and saw the cars across on the highway standing like in a parking lot

Old 08-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, I guess it has changed in the last 6 months when we moved away. My husband took forever and we lived next to the airport exit. Many people are not driving on the HOV and they are stuck because there are constantly some idiots causing accidents.

I worked in the Great Neck area and was home in no time, my husband's way to work was 1/3 of mine and it took him very long. I always drove the opposite side on the highway and saw the cars across on the highway standing like in a parking lot
That's because HOV is not open to all traffic after 6am. The last HOV exit was before the exit your husband took.

Even when I head out to Newport News I leave before 6am. No problem going thru the tunnel. I believe most of the backups occur (if there's no accident or broken down vehicle) after 7.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 26,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
Based on your wish list, I recommend the Great Neck and Kempsville neighborhoods in Virginia Beach. TCC has campuses all around Hampton Roads. The Virginia Beach campus is quite far away from Norfolk Naval Base. You may want to consider living in Virginia Beach and going to the downtown Norfolk campus. Good luck with your home search!

I actually have been starting looking into Virginia Beach. When using google map I see the driving distance will be within the range my husband is looking for. Thanks for your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area