Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 PM

14 posts, read 34,987 times

Advertisements

in central NY we could get very good bagels in the grocery store. often buy one, get one free. in the newport news/williamsburg area, can anyone recommend great bagels?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 PM

57 posts, read 222,357 times
I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating.

The website urbanspoon.com pretty much answers all "what is the best place in my area to eat such and such...." questions. You also get a consensus, rather than one or two random opinions.

It is searchable by city, area, rating, neighborhood, quisine type, etc.

There is also yelp and tripadvisor, but they are more tourist-oriented. Urbanspoon is more foodie oriented.

The top bagels in the entire Hampton Roads area by far is Yorgo's Bageldashery in Norfolk at 94%. I would agree with that.

Top vote in your area (Wiliamsburg) went to J.J. Jitterrzz Koffee Kompany. Only 14 votes, but 100%. After that, Manhattan Bagel at 88%

I've never tasted a good bagel at any local grocery store. These are almost uniformly terrible. I usually pick up a bag of Bay's English Muffins instead, as these are pretty good.

If you are looking for something the quality of Barney Greengrass or H&H in Manhattan it's not going to happen in Hampton Roads, but Yorgo's comes close.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
I enjoy bagels, but many grocery store deli's like Food Lion and Farm Fresh only care certain flavors. Dunkin Donunts IMHO are the best.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 PM

80 posts, read 380,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorntonm View Post

The top bagels in the entire Hampton Roads area by far is Yorgo's Bageldashery in Norfolk at 94%. I would agree with that.

Top vote in your area (Wiliamsburg) went to J.J. Jitterrzz Koffee Kompany. Only 14 votes, but 100%. After that, Manhattan Bagel at 88%

I've never tasted a good bagel at any local grocery store. These are almost uniformly terrible. I usually pick up a bag of Bay's English Muffins instead, as these are pretty good.

If you are looking for something the quality of Barney Greengrass or H&H in Manhattan it's not going to happen in Hampton Roads, but Yorgo's comes close.
Just wanna chime in to say I've never been to any of those Williamsburg area bagel shops but I can vouch for Yorgo's being amazing.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorntonm View Post

I thought Yorgo's went out of business? Or let me rephrase, the owner skipped town when it was brought to light that he hadn't paid the city rent in a looooong time.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 PM

15 posts, read 50,742 times
Default Places for Bagels

I have lived in HR a while. My sister who lives in Ghent LOVES Yorgo's . Also there is Panera Bread. There are several locations in the HR area. I used to go there all the time when I opened the store when I worked retail. I really liked their Cinnamon Crunch and Asiago Cheese Bagels . Harris Teeter sells pretty good bagels as well. there are also several Harris Teeter( a Grocery Store) locations in the area. Some have bins where you can.select the bagels you want and/or have them packaged with 5 in a bag. then of course there are Dunkin Donuts and Starbuck's. I have had Dunkin Donuts and they aren't bad.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:08 PM

80 posts, read 380,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I thought Yorgo's went out of business? Or let me rephrase, the owner skipped town when it was brought to light that he hadn't paid the city rent in a looooong time.

I don't know about that. The downtown Norfolk Yorgo's closed down a while back (early 2009?). I believe that was on City Hall or Plume. The one on Colonial Ave is still going strong.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermarketFantasy View Post
I don't know about that. The downtown Norfolk Yorgo's closed down a while back (early 2009?). I believe that was on City Hall or Plume. The one on Colonial Ave is still going strong.
I do see now that they have another location.

Here's the non-payment bit,
Norfolk says bagel shop owes $98,155 in back rent | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area