Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,424 times

Advertisements

Unfortunantly the street in front of your own house is not your property. It's city property and your rude, entitled feeling neighbors have the legal right to park there. My guess is that they have had issues with either previous renters or the Home Owners and have found out that there's nothing that can be done to stop them so they are going to be obnoxious and rude to whoever lives in the home your occupying. I have a friend that lived in neighobrhood in Va beach, in a corner house and pretty much had your exact same neighbors next door. It was frustrating because my friend had no where to park their own vehicles because of living on the corner and the side street being a very busy road with no parking. The rude neighbors were even ruder if asked to not park in front so that THEY could park there sometimes too. My friend often did not get their trash picked up or their mail delivered because of neighobrs cars parked there. They even tried putting out big orange traffic cones curbside so that their mailbox would not be blocked, but the cones would be thrown into their yard! They gave up saying anything after a while. Strangely though, the neighbors ACROSS the street had to have their roof redone and I guess the roofers were really sloppy because the people that parked along the street kept having flat tires from roofing nails. Karma I suppose. Imagine that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 11:28 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
Thank goodness for Karma!! Wouldn't you just hate it if the nail fairy's bag tore and dropped nails in those spots? Its public property so it isn't on anyone to clean up that area but the city. And if there were lots of nails there, OMG think of what could happen to those tires? And not to mention, who would have to pick those nails up if someone wanted to park there. More nails could be there.

You could build a bigger driveway

And here is real no-no: put a fake fire hydrant in that spot. Be sure to till up the dirt right beside it to make it look freshly put in. That comes from having a firefighter as a DH. Of course, the ramifications are bad- there are actually fires that happen a lot here and imagine when a pumper, ladder or another company tries to hook a line to it. Oops. Not to mention the $ fines...

In Minnesota, you can obtain a temporary no parking sign if you were having a yard sale/garage sale Parking Regulations: Minnetonka Police Department Is that an option here? Have a no yard sale/yard sale?

Or put up your own legal sign that states they can't block your driveway and if they do, its subject to towing. No Parking Signs That's completely true and just a little reminder. I don't know how many feet you must keep away from the driveway, it could be 6ft, 5ft, or nothing. I couldn't find it online. I towing company would probably know too. They would be more than happy to help.

Again, just creative ideas, and maybe you are like me where you can dream then them but lack the motivation/ethics to follow them through.
I am creative, just scared to do any of it. I rely on Karma and God too much.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
One day when they are gone move your cars onto the street and block them from parking in front of your house. Do it enough times and hopefully they'll get the hint. Have you tried talking to them?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 PM

148 posts, read 370,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocute2 View Post
Thanks highway29south. We are DEFINITELY going to move, but stuck under this rental lease for 7 more hellish months! I didn't think people could trespass or move your personal property like that? Twice I didnt get my weeks worth of garbage picked up because of these people's obnoxious behavior. Can't believe the ordinaces in a city this size does not provide regulations on parking! We're trying to find employment in NC and hope to relocate there to a DECENT neighborhood with homes that do not cost 1/2 million dollars for something halfway nice!

Upsilon...you come across as having the same smart-alec attitude my neighbors have. We've only lived here for 5 months. I was asking because I did not know what else I could legally do here about the situation. I still don't see how someone can legally keep you from having your garbage picked up by moving your personal property, trespassing on your property, and literally park backed into your vehicle! Apparently...only the jerks have rights in Va. Beach and surrounding areas!

Ah, don't mean to come across as a smart alec. But I am very interested in hearing what they said about all of this if you did confront them. I mean, it really seems to be bothering you and if you don't take any initiative in confronting it then nothing will ever come about of it. Perhaps the parents don't realize their daughter is being such a jerk about all of this such as almost running into your car and all of that.

If it's the adults that are moving your trash can, then we have a problem but it sounds like you have more of a punk kid type of problem which we all encounter in most neighborhoods.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:22 PM

7 posts, read 23,511 times
The teenager gets her rude parking behavior from her mom and her mom's live in boyfriend! ALL THREE OF THEM DO THIS AND DONE THESE THINGS TO THE OTHER NEIGHBORS BEFORE WE MOVED HERE! I had to work my 12 1/2 hour shift halloween night, and when I got home..my house was egged. Now it is very obvious that a kid did not do this. The angle and distance that HAD to be used for the egg smears and where the broken shells fell on both my front glass door and large sliding glass doors that are angled to the front door means the person HAD to throw them from THEIR front door. Now, my porch light was on, which lights up the entire front of the house and driveway, and their's was on and I saw their large bowl of trick or treat candy sitting by their door, tells me that there is no way a kid would be THAT brave to egg my house with neighbors sitting right there. The "kid" would have HAD to back up to their front door to get that kind of velocity and for ALL the egg shells to land directly under my front door where the handle meets the inner corner of the house. NO WAY the eggs were thrown from my driveway OR street which is non-parrallel to my front door. You can see where the eggs splattered sideways on the double glass doors that FACES my driveway and street, but the smear on my front door that faces their front door (about 15 ft away) was a very straight shot! The adults keep their tall suv's parked in front of their house up to the other edge of my driveway, so no one across the street would have been able to see them throw the eggs at my house.

I HAVE tried parking my car on my side of the driveway, in front of my house, on the street. They back into my car and leave their back end ON my bumper although there is another 20 ft in front of me plus 2 or 3 spaces available right across the street they could park, and the cops do NOTHING about it! I have been friendly to these people since day one. Spoke to them kindly but bluntly regarding the lack of consideration, and all they do is smart me off and tell me "it's first come, first serve and it doesn't matter if I like it or not." They have five vehicles and keep ALL of them on the street and use their two car driveway to park his Harley and another car that has never been moved or driven. He just backed his harley through my yard and straight down the center all the way out of my drive way because there's not an inch of space left to go out through his own driveway to the street! I try to live right and they better thank the Lord that I do! We're going this weekend to look at a house in a HOA nice subdivision in North Carolina. I've applied for a position at Duke, so maybe the Lord will work it out. By the way...we CAN'T expand our driveway...we are renting here. Thanks everyone for trying to help! I can tell you that we lived our entire lives in the city in WV. and THIS crap would NOT be tolerated by the city government.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Wouldn't you just hate it if the nail fairy's bag tore and dropped nails in those spots? Its public property so it isn't on anyone to clean up that area but the city. And if there were lots of nails there, OMG think of what could happen to those tires? And not to mention, who would have to pick those nails up if someone wanted to park there. More nails could be there.
This is EXACTLY what I would do. And I'd add some broken glass to the mix as well.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:20 AM

148 posts, read 370,942 times
If they're already egging her house though, they'd probably just slash all her tires. The problem isn't just some stupid game anymore. Doing anything like that will just result in more and more retaliation. If that's what she wants (it doesn't sound like it) then I say go for it and see where it will go. Also, maybe try contacting an attorney or something to see if there's any city ordinances or rules in regards to impeding entry to your driveway.

Not sure what else to say, that sounds like a very crappy situation. I wish you the best though.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
When you are nearing the end of your lease, I'd start parking in the spot where you claim they'll get onto your bumper. Wait for them to actually have their vehicle touching yours and take lots of pictures and call the cops and an attorney. Heck, them doing so may not be considered a crash, but it could be construed as a technical vandalism of your property.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
take a pic of their car and put it on craigslist for sale with a great price and place the address to where they can come by and see it.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:08 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
take a pic of their car and put it on craigslist for sale with a great price and place the address to where they can come by and see it.
LOL! Or place their house up for sale! Cheap! Be sure to include "Come to door for additional info or questions. Day or night. " (and make sure it's neighbors address. lol!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area