Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:06 AM

46 posts, read 88,140 times

Advertisements

A follow up!!!

To transfer car titles or leave alone.

So we have 2 cars, a 2009 versa I bought from the neighbor last November for $1,400, and a 2009 Toyota Corolla we bought new.

We will keep our home in PA, giving it to our daughter, and will of course be back and forth. I don't know how you would define residency in this case.

So the question is do we leave the cars with PA plates and titles or do we transfer them.

In PA we pay about $90 for plates per year and about $700 for insurance for both cars. Both homes and the cars are with same insurance co.

Any suggestions welcome!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 06:55 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Where are they parked? Where did you tell your insurance they're parked at night?

ETA: what's your drivers license say?

Old 10-01-2017, 06:44 AM

46 posts, read 88,140 times
We still have our home in PA. So right now one car is in PA and the other is here,
Our licenses still in PA because we will still be going back and forth.
Of course our insurance agent knows as everything we have is thorough them.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,306 times
I retired here, grew up in San Francisco, was in military, lived in Europe, came back here. Border of Newport News and Williamsburg. Love being close to the water, reminds me of the Bay Area. Way cheaper than California for many things. Plenty to do, has all the essentials and then some. Can be quirky traffic, the tunnels, unpredictable weather. But I don’t have to work, and live right at my comfort level and then some.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 5,895 times
Any advice for someone looking to move to the same area of VA?

I currently live in NE PA and I can't take the winters. Also going through a divorce so I'm alone taking care of too much property by myself, and it's not cheap paying for help. Snow removal costs me $75 a pop, it cost me $225 in one week. I have a driveway that's over 200 feet long in case you're wondering why so expensive.

I have a daughter in Arlington, VA but I don't want to live close to DC. My best friend lives on the MD shore. So moving to the Virginia shore area makes visiting both of them easier.

Should I rent somewhere before jumping into purchasing? I notice most of the homes for sale in the Williamsburg area are in homeowner associations and I don't want rules and regulations over and above county/state rules and regulations. I just want my own home in a safe, quiet suburb where I can have a fenced in yard for my dogs, shopping not too far away, local activites and clubs, and maybe find a good man to start a new life with.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:05 AM

184 posts, read 244,904 times
I always advise clients and customers to rent before buying if possible. This obviously gives you time to learn the area and decide where you might want to buy a home. If that option is not available, then I suggest folks make several trips to the area before committing to a home purchase. You will find several folks here that will be glad to give pros and cons to the cities that comprise our area. Depending on where you live in our area, you are 2.5-4 hours drive to either location you mention. Good luck with your decision, and again, this forum is usually a good source of information about this area or to answer specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area