Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
My peacemaker is going to be traveling with me a lot more often nowadays. I just hope that if I ever have to use it in self-defense, I am the quicker one.
Practice at the range,
Practice drawing in front of a mirror,
Practice dry firing!

A better hope is that you never have to draw it from it's holster but if you do you will be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
May be a little early to start brandishing firearms in VB, guys:

Violent crimes in VB decreases in 2010 | WAVY.com | Virginia Beach, Va.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Hmmmm interesting. I thought that VA Beach was not dangerous since there are so many police cars wondering all around the place.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post

But it's been a rough start to 2011, hasn't it... 35+ in a month?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:24 PM
NJR

Quote:

Grendel, it's not brandishing...mine is LEGALLY tucked in my waistband holster, hidden from public view as to NOT cause unnecessary concern to anyone. I pray to God I never have to use it. Statistically violent crime did decrease by 10% last year.
10% does not really give me the warm & fuzzy. We don't live in a huge crime ridden slum, but in the past few month we have heard of gunpoint carjackings, robberies, home invasions etc...many unsolved!

All it takes is 1 bad occurrence to destroy your life!

Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM
NJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Hmmmm interesting. I thought that VA Beach was not dangerous since there are so many police cars wondering all around the place.
Yeah Papi..it's as safe as Soundview <LOL>

Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
Grendel, it's not brandishing...mine is LEGALLY tucked in my waistband holster, hidden from public view as to NOT cause unnecessary concern to anyone. I pray to God I never have to use it. Statistically violent crime did decrease by 10% last year.
10% does not really give me the warm & fuzzy. We don't live in a huge crime ridden slum, but in the past few month we have heard of gunpoint carjackings, robberies, home invasions etc...many unsolved!

All it takes is 1 bad occurrence to destroy your life!
Yeah, but home invasions, robberies, carjackings, etc happen all the time everywhere. It's not the first time Virginia Beach has seen these things. Other than a spike in commercial robbery the last few weeks, VB crime seems like it always does.

My family's business in Norfolk was just broken into over Christmas, but I'm not gonna carry a gun whenever I go to work because of it. In fact, every business around us has been robbed by gunpoint or burglarized within the last 2 years. I just don't see what carrying a gun will do to prevent any of that. A security system and metal bars on our windows do more for us. But I guess that's just a personal preference. I don't care if someone carries a gun legally, but it seems like the reactions to crime in Hampton Roads (especially VB-specific crime) is a bit exaggerated.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Yeah, but home invasions, robberies, carjackings, etc happen all the time everywhere.
This is very true!

To be perfectly honest, many of these people saying they carry guns with them scares me more than being victimized by a criminal.

Crimes can be cut down severely depending the area, time of day, person, etc. These paranoid nuts out there carrying their guns are everywhere. I'm more worried about one of these whack-jobs pulling a gun on me because they teeter on the edge of insanity and I happen to do something they see being a "threat" to them.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 AM
NJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
This is very true!

To be perfectly honest, many of these people saying they carry guns with them scares me more than being victimized by a criminal.

Crimes can be cut down severely depending the area, time of day, person, etc. These paranoid nuts out there carrying their guns are everywhere. I'm more worried about one of these whack-jobs pulling a gun on me because they teeter on the edge of insanity and I happen to do something they see being a "threat" to them.

You know, in some way I agree with you.
I'm from NYC/NJ where gun carry is non existent, yet crime is through th roof.
There is a benefit to private citizens carrying a handgun, the "unknown" factor.
Here in Virginia a criminal does not know who might have a gun on them. So they think twice (yes some don't think at all) before acting.
Where you should feel unsafe is places like Buffalo Wild Wings, Value City Furniture, & Wachovia and BB&T Bank where they clearly post on there front door that "This is a gun free zone" where legal handguns are not allowed. I'm sure criminals will follow that rule and not go there. It's like leaving your front door unlocked and posting on Craigslist that you have a 60" LED TV.

I don't consider myself paranoid. I am not one of those ridiculous people who spew that carrying a gun is my "God givin' second amminment right!"..(yes I spelled it wrong on purpose) I have no issues with registering my firearm, & I even feel that people carrying should have to take an accuracy test at the range prior to issuing a permit. How many instances have you heard of a crime being committed by a LEGAL PERMIT HOLDING gun owner?

Yes crimes can be cut down depending the area, time of day, person, A person would be foolish to place themselves in dangerous situations in any circumstance, to go to certain bad neighborhoods at very late hours. Those are the fools who feel empowered by having a gun. They are looking for trouble. I'm talking about the poor woman in VB who had the violent home invasion in the news several months ago...she was so messed up she moved out of state.

There are many gung-ho wanna be heros carrying a gun who don't realize that after they shoot they will have to answer for it. (even if justified)
If you shoot someone even in self defense you have to make sure that the threat was commensurate. (look at that retired cop that shot the burglar in Suffolk...a TRAINED police officer!!!)
If not the criminal will sue you in civil court for damages.
I am a firm believer in "mind your own business" If I see a crime I will call the cops.
It's sad to say but with the laws being what they are, I would only draw for a direct lethal threat to myself or MY family.

There is an old saying regarding guns:
"It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Last edited by NJR; 02-01-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 AM
NJR

Quote:

In fact, every business around us has been robbed by gunpoint or burglarized within the last 2 years. I just don't see what carrying a gun will do to prevent any of that.
Nothing is a guaranteed to prevent crime. Additionally, unless the gunpoint robbery turned bad, I would just give them what they want as it is only money. Now how would you feel if the armed robber (God forbid) not only wanted the money, but due to the circumstances, (time of day etc) decided they did not want to leave witnesses, or your wife or daughter looks goood!

Having a gun is an option, not a must use. It is a serious undertaking that requires a huge level of responsibility & training...and it is NOT for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area