Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:51 PM

102 posts, read 414,689 times

Advertisements

I just lowered my cable bill from $168/mo to $123/mo including tax. If I wanted to give up the phone it would be $101 including tax. I'll go with $123 including tax and see how I like it. I think it's still outrageously high for what I'll get, but that's about what I can do for now. Until I move and have a housemate in about 6 months I'm gonna have to sacrifice.

This is what I will have:
1. Channels 2-75 (phoenix AZ Cox)
2. Lowered speed on internet (I don't game, videoconference or stream, so it's OK. Occasionally I liked to get Blockbuster and still will, but will have to plan on a loooong download or slow stream. That may not work.
3. Keep the local phone (no Long Distance)

Giving up:

1. one HD-DVR box (that alone was $18.50/mo)
2. one HD receiver
3. highest speed internet 12 mgs)
4. channels 76-998 (never had premium channels) (giving up music-which I did use and will miss)

Last edited by QERose; 04-01-2011 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 AM

277 posts, read 430,195 times
I'm in AZ on DirectTV satellite. I pay $82 a month the second year now the first year was
$54 per month. All I wanted was the TENNIS chanel but I also get all local, and quite a large number of other channels, so anything I want to watch I can. I have several ESPN channels, AnimalPlanet, tons of movies channels that do not need internet (which I keep separately).

There is no doubt that as we move from Sedona to New River in 2 weeks I would use DirectTV.

However I am at a loss at to what to use for internet and need to start doing research for New River, AZ soon. I had perfect payments with APS electric so no deposit charge.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
If more people understood torrenting, we could put these people out of business. You literally do not need cable. I could download any show you ever want and give it to you on a thumb drive. I pay for internet and that's it.

Google uTorrent, get that program, then go to 'kick @ss torrents' and search the name of your show. All of the major tv shows will be on the website the same day they air, most of the time before it airs due to time changes.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:06 AM

57 posts, read 204,531 times
I have rabbit ears and pick up plenty. I get high speed internet therough the cable company and have netflix. Plenty of entertainment options available that way.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM

We did not have a stable location for 2 years and we watched Netflix and Hulu and such on the computer. iTunes also have for purchase available TV programs, movies, etc. If you just have a computer, even if you go to the coffee house, the internet is the best and cheapest way to stay connected to whatever you want to watch. Now that we are living in a house, we have DirectTV and would never go back to cable. We get internet over DSL line via the phone line. If you are off grid, not sure what to tell you about DSL. During the real estate crash when I had no income I used the internet at coffeehouses, which can be very strong. Always a way to find internet ~ Good luck ~

Old 05-28-2013, 03:34 PM

359 posts, read 759,230 times
Two years, six months cable-FREE, and loving it!
-Digital receiver: $45
-Digital antenna: $20
Total expenditures: $65

Total savings: $2,190

Old 05-28-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
Two years, six months cable-FREE, and loving it!
-Digital receiver: $45
-Digital antenna: $20
Total expenditures: $65

Total savings: $2,190
To what are you connected? air waves? cable channels? other satellite company?

thanks ~

Old 05-28-2013, 06:00 PM

359 posts, read 759,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCat View Post
To what are you connected? air waves? cable channels? other satellite company?

thanks ~
I have a line for internet running into my home, and that's it for hard connections. If I need to rent a movie, I'll go to Blockbuster and support the remaining brick-and-mortar franchises, or to the library where DVD rentals are free (but books/CDs are the big draw). All you need to get over the air digital television signals are a receiver (Best Buy usually has them) and an antenna (K-Mart). I get 26 channels, 2/3 of them are lousy, but I guarantee that having 260 channels was neither an iota better programming nor more happiness. I saw you like 'net movies also, there are quite a few places to look.

Where can i watch movies on Computer for free? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 05-28-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
I have a line for internet running into my home, and that's it for hard connections. If I need to rent a movie, I'll go to Blockbuster and support the remaining brick-and-mortar franchises, or to the library where DVD rentals are free (but books/CDs are the big draw). All you need to get over the air digital television signals are a receiver (Best Buy usually has them) and an antenna (K-Mart). I get 26 channels, 2/3 of them are lousy, but I guarantee that having 260 channels was neither an iota better programming nor more happiness. I saw you like 'net movies also, there are quite a few places to look.

Where can i watch movies on Computer for free? - Yahoo! Answers
What I would like to understand is "a line for internet running into my home"
what are you using for internet? DSL or Cable ?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 PM

And yes between the internet sites for various television stations where you can watch episodes online, Netflix, Hulu, etc., etc. one can watch a LOT of television and not pay. We have directTV because someone gave us a 42" TV and my husband wants to watch on a big screen. I could have watched everything on my 15" Mac the rest of my life and been entirely happy. But that is a small thing because we do not have an extravagant lifestyle and if he wants the large screen that is fine. We never go to a movie theater or watch a live play. I love to cook so eating out is rare. We buy almost everything in thrift shops, consignment shops, and pick up that which the rich people cast off. We got a perfectly good snow thrower when we lived in Flagstaff that someone had put out on the street. $30 in parts and we got paid to do other people's driveways when they live in Phoenix all winter and had guests in their house for 3 years. That was a huge profit for us. Lot of free stuff if one looks for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area