Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:32 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,200 times

Advertisements

I live on the peninsula (NN), but Va beach in general does have a good reputation. I feel that people in general overreact to the crime in HR. I mean, this is an area of 1.7-1.8 million people, you are going to have crime. The difference is that the crime is not solely concentrated in one city, but in pockets of each of the seven cities (east end, park place, bayside ect). Overall, there are many more metros in the US that have a higher crime index than HR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 01:41 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,050 times
I don't feel safe anywhere on the Southside. I live in a very upscale part of Norfolk and someone tried to break into my house a few months ago. Thankfully I was awake and happened to stop whoever it was from getting into my home. I am counting down the days until I finally move away from this area.

In my opinion don't move here.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:07 PM

260 posts, read 1,191,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
I don't feel safe anywhere on the Southside. I live in a very upscale part of Norfolk and someone tried to break into my house a few months ago. Thankfully I was awake and happened to stop whoever it was from getting into my home. I am counting down the days until I finally move away from this area.

In my opinion don't move here.

I totally agree w/you "Emeraldgirl"!

I can't imagine some people on this post not thinking murders, rapes, brake-in's are NOT a big deal and people just over re-acting. I hope they never serve on any kind of jury duty.

I have friend in Great Neck of va bch who had 2 attempted break-in's in there home during the middle of the day, mind you pretty up-scale area. Also, someone was car jacked at the bank down the road from them.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:53 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
I live on the peninsula (NN), but Va beach in general does have a good reputation. I feel that people in general overreact to the crime in HR. I mean, this is an area of 1.7-1.8 million people, you are going to have crime. The difference is that the crime is not solely concentrated in one city, but in pockets of each of the seven cities (east end, park place, bayside ect). Overall, there are many more metros in the US that have a higher crime index than HR
i used to live on the peninsula (Hampton and York County) and now live outside Washington DC (Alexandria). I said it b4 and i'll say it again, if you think HR's crime is bad read the Washington Post Metro Section for 1 week. You may come across anywhere from 5-10 shootings a week and at least one homicide a night within an hour's drive of DC. Not one of the HR cities appears on Qutino's most dangerous. One of our subrubs (Kentland, MD) is called one of the most dangerous surburbs in the US. It has a murder rate twice that of DC. Also the very rich Alexandria currently has 5 homicides this year, 2 more than the not that rich Hampton. Do not even get me started on Baltimore, MD (known here as Bodymorgue, Murderland).

To the OP, i commend you on not leaving for more money. VA Beach is nice but it sounds like you really love NN. With what i go through in the DC area after leaving for more $, i'd be happy to be back in HR.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:08 PM

11 posts, read 35,217 times
Talking Aren't you being a little dramatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darzz1 View Post
I think the negative feedback comes from being informed,,, news, papers etc.

My friends live in a great section of va bch... Great Neck Area and had 2 attempted robberies in broad daylight! Thx goodness for there neighbors!

I wouldn't feel safe walking anywhere in va bch at 1am in the morning.

Glad you like it here but let's not mislead others!

First of all, crime is everywhere (and in an affluent place like Virginia Beach, there are issues with property crime, but violent crime is very low in comparison). I'm not sure where Utopia is, but please point me in that direction. Frankly, I think it's unfair that you use hysterics and fear when the facts say that Virginia Beach is safer than average. It's not to say that you should be stupid or careless when you go out. But I would feel much better about being in Virginia Beach versus the Anacostia section in DC. Put it in context!

If people are interested in seeing where the crime rate is IN CONTEXT (and I think it is the important part of the argument), you can visit this website to see the full rankings:
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a website that puts the crime rate in a national context:
Moderator cut: link removed

I'm not saying that Va. Beach is better than any of its HR neighbors--I think all the cities have its own charms and conveniences. But I don't think it's fair to say that it's a bad place wholesale when it has a very stellar reputation OVERALL.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-04-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatcoco View Post

First of all, crime is everywhere (and in an affluent place like Virginia Beach, there are issues with property crime, but violent crime is very low in comparison). I'm not sure where Utopia is, but please point me in that direction. Frankly, I think it's unfair that you use hysterics and fear when the facts say that Virginia Beach is safer than average. It's not to say that you should be stupid or careless when you go out. But I would feel much better about being in Virginia Beach versus the Anacostia section in DC. Put it in context!

If people are interested in seeing where the crime rate is IN CONTEXT (and I think it is the important part of the argument), you can visit this website to see the full rankings:
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a website that puts the crime rate in a national context:
Moderator cut: link removed

I'm not saying that Va. Beach is better than any of its HR neighbors--I think all the cities have its own charms and conveniences. But I don't think it's fair to say that it's a bad place wholesale when it has a very stellar reputation OVERALL.

I don't think I'm using "hysterics" as you so call it.

I'm simply informed of my surrondings... and as I've said many times I don't care what any Crime stats say I know what I hear & read.

It may be your opinion that you don't consider this area loaded w/crime but I DO! I'm entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled you yours.

I live in a very nice area by the courthouse and we've had a cop gunned down on gen booth, a shooting at 2 bars within 5 miles or so, rapes at the oceanfront etc. - so If you don't think that's acceptable then it's your opinion.

I wasn't comparing crime in other areas. I don't think that was the issue. Perhaps there is no "utopia" but it sure isn't here.

I don't blame va bch for the crime issues. I blame all the people that are out commiting the crimes!

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-04-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Move somewhere else

It seems to me, you need to move somewhere else if you want to feel safe. Sorry, that you live in so much fear. Let me know when you find that special place.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Default No sarcasm intended

No sarcasm intended, darzz1. I meant what I said. I would hate to live in so much fear and hysteria to the point that I would post misinformation on a forum. There is a difference between statistical and anecdotal evidence, and that is how you reach a balanced opinion. Apparently, you've had a lot of bad things happen to you personally. I would not wish that on anyone.

Best of luck when to you when you and your family move to Fuquay. I live in Chapel Hill myself. Just remember Raleigh has a higher crime rate than Virginia Beach, and that murder and crime exists in FV too:

USA Today Seeks Tips In Murder Investigation - News - NBC 17 (http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/news.apx.-content-articles-NCN-2007-06-25-0004.html - broken link)

Fuquay-Varina Independent: Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina News

newsobserver.com | Man helped accused killer flee, police say (http://www.newsobserver.com/926/story/485788.html - broken link)

newsobserver.com | Man charged as accessory in killing (http://www.newsobserver.com/926/story/485261.html - broken link)

newsobserver.com | Police charge teen in August robbery (http://www.newsobserver.com/926/story/489717.html - broken link)

newsobserver.com | Suspect charged in robberies of two banks (http://www.newsobserver.com/926/story/492210.html - broken link)

Like I said, crime is everywhere. But you gotta put it in context. I would never say "don't move to Fuquay because there's so much crime!" Yet if I based my decision on what I saw in the paper and the TV news, I would think it was a horrible place to live.

By the way, if you are worried about property crime, you'll be glad to know that FV's property crime rate is above the NC state average.

Last edited by expatcoco; 08-05-2007 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatcoco View Post
No sarcasm intended, darzz1. I meant what I said. I would hate to live in so much fear and hysteria to the point that I would post misinformation on a forum. There is a difference between statistical and anecdotal evidence, and that is how you reach a balanced opinion. Apparently, you've had a lot of bad things happen to you personally. I would not wish that on anyone.

Best of luck when to you when you and your family move to Fuquay. I live in Chapel Hill myself. Just remember Raleigh has a higher crime rate than Virginia Beach, and that murder and crime exists in FV too:

USA Today Seeks Tips In Murder Investigation - News - NBC 17 (http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/news.apx.-content-articles-NCN-2007-06-25-0004.html - broken link)

newsobserver.com | Man helped accused killer flee, police say (http://www.newsobserver.com/926/story/485788.html - broken link)

newsobserver.com | Man charged as accessory in killing (http://www.newsobserver.com/926/story/485261.html - broken link)

newsobserver.com | Police charge teen in August robbery (http://www.newsobserver.com/926/story/489717.html - broken link)

newsobserver.com | Suspect charged in robberies of two banks (http://www.newsobserver.com/926/story/492210.html - broken link)

Like I said, crime is everywhere. But you gotta put it in context. I would never say "don't move to Fuquay because there's so much crime!" Yet if I based my decision on what I saw in the paper and the TV news, I would think it was a horrible place to live.

By the way, if you are worried about property crime, you'll be glad to know that FV's property crime rate is above the NC state average.

Thanks for the info!

You know,,, I just posted how I felt and what I know has taken place in my
immediate area.

You keep telling me I'm giving mis-information and you don't even live here. I just pointed out crime that has happened within a few minutes of where I live.

I'm not sure why you have to feel your opinion is the right one and not let others speak there mind.

I'm perfectly fine about how you feel and wish you could also respect the opinions of others.

I mean no disrespect to anyone I'm just putting in my 2 cents.

You do seem to go out of your way to be little others and there opinions.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:07 PM

20 posts, read 90,863 times
darzz1, I don't think that it's even about being right or wrong. It's about the point that crime happens everywhere. Yes, crime happens in Va. Beach, but that's really no reason to tell everyone that it is rampant. You talk like Landstown (where you live) is the ghetto. It's really quite humorous.

A pregnant woman was murdered in Fuquay-Verona just a few months ago, and it made nationalnews. However, you still love the place. Just because that incident happened doesn't mean that crime is rampant in Fuquay-Verona. The same goes for Virginia Beach.

I've lived here 23 years.

Just putting in my two cents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area