Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,380 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, looking for some advice. Im 22 year old single guy from jersey in the final stages with VA Beach PD. If accepted I'll be making the move to the area in august. Few questions:

1)* What is a good Neighborhood to live in for a guy like me and in those areas what are some good apartments? Cost isn't an issue just looking for a good place somewhat near the beach.

2) How would you describe the area people wise?

3) Are the winter months cold, im used to a ton of snow.

4) From what im reading being a guy and being single in VA isn't the best. Can anyone shed some light on that?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 AM

203 posts, read 477,040 times
Well, welcome to VBPD, Retired from the PD. There are a ton of apartment complexes all over the city. I would suggest a weekend trip to scout out the area and see what you like. When we moved here in 1991, we drove around looking at areas during the day and then came back around 10pm at night. You'd be amazed at the difference.

There are all kinds of people in this area from all walks of life. Lots of military folks too.
Winter can be cold but not much snow. When we do get snow here, look out. Most folks have no clue how to drive. 2 inches of snow around here closes everything down and people panic....

Plenty of choices out there for a single guy....

Old 06-14-2011, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,380 times
Thanks for the reply, I will take your advice and spend a weekend there. Enjoy the retire life!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:45 PM

203 posts, read 477,040 times
Wish I could. Something you'll learn about Va Beach is that the city is self ensured. That means they run their own worker's comp. Currently, I'm stuck fighting with worker's comp on almost a weekly basis for my pay. The city could care less. Wish I could enjoy my retirement but I can't until the 500 weeks is over and I can stop dealing with these idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area