Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 AM

195 posts, read 669,029 times

Advertisements

My wife and I relocated to Chesapeake about two months ago, and have not had good restaurant experiences. We've had to send our food back almost everytime for being anything from undercooked to just plain horrible. When I asked my neighbors for advise they started listing off chain restaurants and that is the last thing we want. The recommendations I have been exploring have all turned out to be crap. I'm begining to think people here think ***** food is good because that's all they have known. I am interested in any kind of food as it's good and not overpriced. So can someone please give me some sound recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 AM

328 posts, read 1,540,198 times
Uhh How about the Grocery Store. I'd give my opinion but it might be "crap" and "**** food"..

Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
I personally don't do chain restaurants unless I'm on the road and there's no place else to eat. Chesapeake doesn't have any family owned restaurants that I know of. I swear by Croakers and Charlies on Shore Dr. in VB for seafood and the Surf Rider restaurants. The best steak place in my opinion is Aberdeen Barn on Northhampton Blvd. They also have great seafood, but their prime rib is out of this world.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:35 AM

328 posts, read 1,540,198 times
Todd Jurichs Bistro in Norfolk..

Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 AM

98 posts, read 784,306 times
Just a few of my favorites...........
No frill grill (norfolk and VB)
Big Sams (by rudee inlet in VB)
Tautogs and Doc Taylors (at the oceanfront)
I second Surfriders (and all of the other places recommended)
O sullivans (great neck road, used to be Isla)
Smokehouse bar cooler (shore drive)

Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Oh and Steinhilbers on Thalia..Awesome food!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 12,930 times
Since Chesapeake is a middle class to upper middle class suburban area...chains are heavily attracted to the city. So that means the majority of restaurants in Chesapeake are chains. I am glad that Chesapeake was able to attract a Cracker Barrel across Greenbrier Mall...which is the only one on the southside...and I love that place. I do like some chains (not really into Ruby Tuesday, Applebee's and TGI Friday's) especially upscale chains...like the majority of restaurants in the Virginia Beach Town Center/Pembroke area. McCormick and Schmicks, California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs are great IMO but there are some great non chain independent restaurants in Hampton Roads as well.

Here are some non chains that are really good IMO...

456 Fish on Granby Street in Norfolk
Aberdeen Barn on Northampton Blvd in Va Beach
Hot Tuna off of Shore Dr and Great Neck in Va Beach
The 219 on Granby Street in Norfolk
Bodega on Granby Street in Norfolk
Domo Sushi on Granby Street in Norfolk

There are alot of great non chains on Shore Dr in Va Beach as well as the oceanfront and there are alot of great non chains in Norfolk in the downtown area and ghent...hope this helps...

Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 PM

195 posts, read 669,029 times
Thanks to all of you. I'm going to attempt to try all of the places listed.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
Default One more for the list

Quite possibly the best kept "local" secret is "Board Wok" in VB. It's behind the Bloom (old Food Lion) at the corner of Sandbridge rd and Princess Anne. The Boardwok Restaurant - Virginia Beach, Virginia
~Mark

Old 08-07-2008, 02:36 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
We really like Spice of India on Volvo in Chesapeake.
They have a great lunch buffet Monday through Saturday and really good food. We've also been there for dinner and enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area