Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 10,415 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to the area in 2-3 months, so I'm beginning to consider which neighborhoods to search for an apartment/townhouse to rent. I'm single and would prefer to live in a neighborhood where most of the shops, restaurants, etc. are within walking distance. It looks like there are plenty of options in Hampton Roads in the $1000-$1500 per month range that are not too far of a commute from the Town Center area, which is where I'll be working. I spent a recent summer living in Ghent, and enjoyed it. However, I'd love to live on the water. I've heard good things about Chick's Beach, and was looking for more feedback on that area or a similar area that I should look into. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by ambiv82; 01-13-2008 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 AM

126 posts, read 595,466 times
Chick's Beach will be a 10 minute or so commute to Town Center, but not a bad drive. Also easily bikeable when weather permits.

You likely won't quite be on the water for <$1500/mo. But you can probably have view of, and a very short walk to, the beach in the photo.

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Good places for young professionals in VA Beach area-beachtowest.jpg  

Last edited by Mark Sr.; 01-14-2008 at 07:35 AM..

Old 01-14-2008, 08:18 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,387 times
We own a condo on Chicks Beach, where we spend our weekends. We love the area (I'm early 30's, hubby is mid 40's). Even in Christmas traffic, Town Center is only 10-15 minutes away. It's nice to be able to walk to fabulous restaurants and have a few cocktails and not worry about driving. The beaches are not overly crowded with tourists in the Summer because there aren't a lot of hotels nearby. I have noticed a lot of apartment complexes in the area, very near the beach. Marina Shores is one that I have seen, on the corner of Shore and Great Neck, accross the street from the beach.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 10,415 times
I appreciate the helpful responses. What do you think is a more realistic price-range for apartments in Chicks Beach? My information is only based off of a couple of internet searches, so it might be artificially low due to people trying to sublet. Should I be concerned about jet noise in Chicks? I know that's something I need to look out for, but I'm not really sure where the primary paths are. Also, are there any other comparable areas? I've been to Oceanfront, and saw a bunch of hotels, but I'd assume there are some rental neighborhoods in that part of the city.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 AM

24 posts, read 209,940 times
Chick's beach and Shore Drive to include parts of the Great Neck area are great for young professionals. A good commute to Town Center, plus you are close to the beach - within walking distance on much of Shore Drive. There are also many options of night life from great restaurants and pubs to bars and night clubs and low-key places to hear live music. The North End of the beach is also great because it is in between the Oceanfront and Chick's beach. A bunch of the quaint beach houses are made into apartments that are affordable and in a nice area. Those are the beach streets starting in the 50's and going down to the 80's (all the streets at the Oceanfront are numbered). And since you've been to / lived in Ghent, you know that it is an easy drive to do on the weekends to go out. Hope that helps!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,908 times
Hello! I know this thread is a bit old but I'm in somewhat the same position as the first poster. My husband and I recently received very short notice via a great job offer that we'll be moving to norfolk/va beach in two weeks. From what I've read it seems like Ghent and the Chick's Beach area are good choices for young professionals. We're early 30s, no kids, would love to have good restaurants, bars, shops to walk/bike to and, frankly, being by the beach sounds pretty dreamy. Does anyone have suggestions of other areas we should investigate besides Chick's Beach & vicinity plus possibly Ghent (though realize there's no beach there)? We are flying up this weekend to visit the area for the first time and hopefully find a place to move into in the near future. My new office will be off N Military Hwy near the airport. Seems all concrete, urban sprawl and have the definite impression don't want to live right there. However, I'm used to an easy 10 minute max commute in Savannnah would like my new driving routine to be fairly short/easy. So... since I don't know the traffic patterns yet I'd also appreciate any input as to areas that would make for the easiest/shortest commute times!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:54 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,450,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draughnb View Post
My new office will be off N Military Hwy near the airport. Seems all concrete, urban sprawl and have the definite impression don't want to live right there. However, I'm used to an easy 10 minute max commute in Savannnah would like my new driving routine to be fairly short/easy. So... since I don't know the traffic patterns yet I'd also appreciate any input as to areas that would make for the easiest/shortest commute times!
Near your office (I know exactly where you will be working), the Botanical Gardens area (Azaelia Garden Road) would be a good place to start looking for homes. The airport really isn't that noisy. I lived not far from there for years and it was never bothersome. Oceana on the other hand is quite loud with the jets. Another nice area you may be interested in is Thalia in Virginia Beach. If you go to the "subdivision map" thread in this forum, you can see how the area is divided up. What's really funny about this area, is the distance from one area to the next. I live 9 miles from the ocean, and 10.8 miles from my office in Chesapeake. So I can either take the interstate or the back roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area