Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 60,662 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the area (Norfolk) and am looking for a good, reputable place to buy wild caught or otherwise sustainable seafood. Fresh (not frozen) is a plus. Also, are there any restaurants locally that serve such seafood?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,072,529 times
I'm disappointed to see there aren't any replies yet. I am also interested in learning if there is anywhere around here that we can buy fresh-caught seafood.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 AM

109 posts, read 157,629 times
There is a very large International grocery store in the vicinity of Wal Mart on Princess Anne and Lynnhaven in Virginia Beach. Its called Fresh World the seafood selection is by far the best in the area all the seafood is fresh and not frozen. It also has a great produce area with tons of international ingredients. There is also Waterside Fish and Produce on Progress Road in Norfolk. I do not know if an ordinary consumer can buy from Waterside because it caters more to restaurants. I'm in the culinary field and I know THE DECK in downtown Portsmouth has fresh seafood as well as Foggy Point Restaurant on the Renaissance Hotel( though the selection is smaller). In the area there are MANY restaurants that serve fresh seafood. You should also go for a afternoon drive around Portsmouth and Norfolk sometimes I know its quite a bit of mom and pops seafood stores.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Kevin, thanks very much for the information. I'll check out the place near Salem Crossing soon.

You know what I miss? Being able to buy fish and shrimp right off the boats or docks. When I lived in Texas in the 80's and 90's, I lived close to the Gulf of Mexico. I used to go down to the docks and buy fresh shrimp and fish. There were times when I wanted really fresh stuff, and I'd go get my seine and catch my own shrimp for dinner. MMMM... that memory just makes my mouth water!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 60,662 times
Kevin, thank you so much for your response! Fresh World sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:06 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Kevin, thanks very much for the information. I'll check out the place near Salem Crossing soon.

You know what I miss? Being able to buy fish and shrimp right off the boats or docks. When I lived in Texas in the 80's and 90's, I lived close to the Gulf of Mexico. I used to go down to the docks and buy fresh shrimp and fish. There were times when I wanted really fresh stuff, and I'd go get my seine and catch my own shrimp for dinner. MMMM... that memory just makes my mouth water!
Bubba's is just across the Lesner Bridge, but there is a place on the corner of Princess Anne and Nimmo Pkwy near the Home Depot. Lots of fresh stuff

Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Bubba's is just across the Lesner Bridge, but there is a place on the corner of Princess Anne and Nimmo Pkwy near the Home Depot. Lots of fresh stuff
That's good to know. I'll have to go check that out. I'm also going to go by Fresh World that Kevin mentioned. I am really looking forward to having some fresh seafood.

Thanks for the information, Kevin and Erma.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,426 times
There is a place on the other side of the water by Langely and Poquoson that only serves fresh. This means that what is in the store has been caught within that past 48 hours (is that the correct time frame?? you get the idea though). It is a very small mom and pop place that doesnt resemble a huge store by any means. The front room has a check-out and the back room has their cooler. If you would like something other than what is there, ask and they will get it and bring it in immediately- will cost you a pretty penny due to the freshness and location of where it is coming from too. A client of mine who is a dentist met me there and I had never tasted fresh crab before and was very surprised that it didn't taste like crab that I had always known. He had called as soon as it opened and asked them to reserve his 3 fillets, which they did.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 PM

5 posts, read 24,594 times
What about that little seafood market (looks like a little house) on the corner of Sandbridge/Princess Anne & Nimmo?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:00 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,865 times
I don't know the names but I pass at least 3 places on my way to Sandbridge that sell fresh seafood. Just drive down that way one day one day. There are tons of farm stands down there as well to get all kinds of locally grown produce. Plus there is a beautiful beach down there to boot... you really can't go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area