Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:49 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,422 times

Advertisements

New Town Williamsburg Virginia-new-town-williamsburg-va.jpg For the people that haven't seen New Town in Williamsburg Virginia I thought I would post a few pictures so you see what it's like.

New Town Williamsburg Virginia-williamsburgva.jpg

New Town Williamsburg Virginia-new-town-williamsburg-va3.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 04:47 PM

798 posts, read 2,727,899 times
Thanks for posting Mr Wiliamsburg. It has been close to a year since I have been to Williamsburg and New Town so enjoyed seeing the pics.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,085 times
I LOVE New Town. It is exactly what Williamsburg needed. I'm not sure how High Street will compare but New Town is a lovely place to shop, eat, and watch a movie!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:05 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times
new town takes me back to the innocence of the fifties......i stopped to tie my shoe there and didn't have to worry about being mugged , and the burgers were like the old style from the fifties.....I hope this urban neighborhood idea catches on every where in America, its time to take our neighborhoods back from the thugs.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
col

131 posts, read 674,658 times
Post Thats lovely, how are the winters in this section?

I suffer from respiratory issues and suffer from the dry winter and dry furnace air in NYC looking to relocate...love water areas and colonial history and absolutly love the idea of this community.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 AM
col

Default Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
I suffer from respiratory issues and suffer from the dry winter and dry furnace air in NYC looking to relocate...love water areas and colonial history and absolutly love the idea of this community.
ANy help on the winter issue?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:46 AM

According to the data on this forum which you can click on below, Our humidity in the Winter is actually lower than that of New York City. I will attempt to verify the data from other sources.

Are temperatures do tend to run at least 10 degrees warmer than New York in the Winter

You can always have a humidifier added to your heating system in the home but that doesn't change the outside air situation. We definitely have the water areas and colonial history here.

Maybe explore areas further south like Charleston. You can find all of the weather data thru this website.

Williamsburg, Virginia (VA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
New York, New York (NY) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 AM
col

Thumbs up Thanks 10 gree difference could be fine.....

temps above 40 with hardly any snow would work for me. I am looking to be able to leave the house more and be productive again, cold air 39 and below with furnace heat leads to major issues. I have looked at the data ...not to bad hows the rest of the years seasons?
housing costs, cost of living? we would be looking for a position for a person with a masters degree in developmental disabilities working with retarded adults ( Mangment or near)

thanks any more info or advise?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 AM

Well we haven't had any accumulation of snow in 4 years. Temps seem warmer than the chart showed in the winter. Summers can be a bit humid though. Housing costs compared to New York City should be about 1/3 the cost. A brand 2 bedroom new 1600 square foot townhome in New Town with a two car garage can be purchased for $275,000. There are mid rise condos as well with underground parking starting in the low $300's for two bedrooms.

As far as employment in the Williamsburg area. I will ask around and see what opportunities exist. You may want to contact The Arc of Greater Williamsburg (http://www.widomaker.com/~thearcgw/ - broken link) Maybe they could point you in the right direction Here is a state website that you could search through DMHMRSAS - Career Opportunities

As far as cost of living. Williamsburg will be far below New York levels as far as insurance, property taxes, etc.

I will admit that you can go to more isolated areas and buy less expensive homes. To us the cost is definitely worth it considering all there is to do here and the quality of life.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 AM
col

Thumbs up Thank you.

I have gotten a lot of info from you and I appreciate it. The weather sounds
just about right. If I have to stay is a day or two vs 2 -3 months here in NYC
thats a dramatic improvement in the winter months.

What are schools like I have a 12 year old in the honors, gifted program. Also
what about a drivers license. Do you just transfer your out of state lic and plate
or are there tests involved.

Thx again

COL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area