Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 4,565 times

Advertisements

Hello my name is Tim currently i live in Florida but looking for a better area for me and my family.We have a son with special needs and programs in this area have met a dead end i have friends in the Norfolk area who like living there mostly we're looking for a fresh start been researching numerous areas would like input before making such a big decision.btw been in Florida since'75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:58 PM

279 posts, read 589,958 times
Not sure what you are looking for as far as "input"? Do you have any specific questions?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,565 times
Mostly info on schools and programs for people with disabilities programs here are non-existent cost of living is another consideration.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 AM

894 posts, read 2,315,914 times
I don't have any specific info to offer, but my dad lives in Clearwater and I can attest that there are some similarities between the two. I do like the Tampa Bay area, but only to visit. I would never be happy living there, as much as my dad wants me to move there. I think overall, Tampa Bay has nicer areas, but VA may be better with your childs needs. I don't hear many good things about FL schools or programs. And traffic here may be only a little bit better. Good luck making a decision!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:59 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
I spend a good amount of time in Tampa, I would look elsewhere besides the Hampton Roads area if I was you....
I understand wanting what is best for your child and family but I dont think Hampton Roads is the answer. I think you will find many of the issues that the Tampa area has are right here in Hampton Roads area, many of them worse in Hampton Roads.
Traffic- worse in Hampton Roads...The roads in and around Tampa are streets of gold compared to the local roads in Hampton Roads
Pay complared to actual cost of living- you will find your dollar goes much further in Tampa
Family activities- not even close...Tampa wins hand down
Schools- kind of a wash, greatly depends on which school zone you are able to afford to live in.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 PM

115 posts, read 233,110 times
Even in one of the best school districts, York,they are expecting to cut programs and teachers this year. I predict next year will be better. The state is cutting back on school funding and asking counties to cover half the loss. Don't know if it's any different in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area