Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 PM

121 posts, read 461,929 times

Advertisements

Norfolk is nearing construction of it's light rail starter line. The plan is eventually to make this a regional system that extends up to NN and Hampton and to Virginia Beach and certain portions of Chesapeake. Virginia Beach initially rejected the proposal years ago but have recently signaled that they may wish to extend it at least to Town Center. An extension to Norfolk naval station is already in the planning stages. My question is this: If light rail becomes available or convenient in your area, will you ride it? Why or why not? I've seen a lot of complaints about the traffic situation on here lately so I want to see if people view this a a viable alternative. Here's some background for those needing info:

Norfolk officials gearing up for light-rail line

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/Merrittk92/0803lightrail500x325.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 12:59 PM

275 posts, read 870,142 times
They plan to open in what, 2009 or '10? If I haven't moved from here by then (love the area, just ready to get out), and it comes somewhere near Greenbrier, then yes, I will definitely take it to my job, on the other side of downtown Norfolk. I prolly wouldn't do it every single day, but I'd look into it.

I wonder if the city would consider parking shuttles from each stop.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
They plan to open in what, 2009 or '10? If I haven't moved from here by then (love the area, just ready to get out), and it comes somewhere near Greenbrier, then yes, I will definitely take it to my job, on the other side of downtown Norfolk. I prolly wouldn't do it every single day, but I'd look into it.

I wonder if the city would consider parking shuttles from each stop.
HRT has a plan out right now to develop "feeder buses" to service stops so that is something under development. It is important to note however that this is a "stater line" and it will be years before it develops full functionality. It probably won't be useful to most of us when it first opens but overtime it will develop into something more comprehensive. I have lived in this area for over 10 years now and it is astonishing the amount of growth that has occurred in such a short period of time. This is starting to develop into a major city and if we really want to solve our traffic problems there is gonna have to be a paradigm shift in attitudes (which I think is already starting to occur). My feeling is this, we are not gonna be able to build ourselves out of this situation. More roads will just lead to more traffic. We have to try something different.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:26 AM

Well, it's a done deal. The grant will be signed tommorrow at 1:30pm. Construction begins in November.

Brand new light rail video (broken link)

Just click on the link below and then click on the stations to animate.
Light rail gets green light (broken link)

Quote:
NORFOLK
Interactive:
Take a video tour of Norfolk's light rail

For years, light rail existed only in planning documents and on city wish lists. Now, it’s real.

How real? Federal transit officials are coming to town Monday to hand over a bundle of cash to build it.

Not real enough? Construction is scheduled to start in November.

The $232.1-million starter light rail line cleared the final hurdle in Congress on Saturday .

In early 2010, “The Tide” will begin moving passengers along a 7.4-mile route from Eastern Virginia Medical Center through downtown and along an existing freight rail corridor to Newtown Road at the Virginia Beach city line. It will have 11 stations and is projected to carry 7,130 to 11,400 passengers a day.

Many wondered whether that day would ever come – even those closest to the project.

“It’s hard to believe this day is here; I’m beside myself,” said Councilman W. Randy Wright, who shepherded it through technical, financial and political reviews for nearly a decade. “I’m almost speechless.”
P O L L
“Look around America – you don’t see many cities our size getting rail projects,” he added. “Certainly, we’ve beat the odds. At many times, it seemed like insurmountable odds.”

Hampton Roads Transit’s original plan was to run the train all the way to the Virginia Beach oceanfront, but Beach voters rejected the idea and the Beach council backed out. Norfolk decided to proceed on its own.

Then federal rules changed, and the project was basically put on hold for three years while authorities scrutinized the cost, the ridership and the benefits. What resulted is the least expensive light rail project, in cost per mile, put up for approval by the Federal Transit Administration.

“We’re due a celebration,” Wright said.

It will start Monday with a signing ceremony for $128 million in federal money for construction. An additional $33 million will come from the city, $31.9 million from the state and $39.2 million from other federal sources. If there are cost overruns or upgrades, Norfolk will have to pay for them. Monday’s festivities will also include a lunch, an evening party and street banners, among other things. Downtown businesses pitched in to pay for some of the celebration.

“Norfolk has taken a very bold leadership role, not for its own well-being only but for the well-being of the region,” said Cathy Coleman, president of the Downtown Norfolk Council.

Although the rail line can succeed on its own, according to FTA calculations, the goal is to expand it into other parts of Norfolk and into adjacent cities.

“Our core city of Norfolk recognized this regional transportation effort had to start,” Coleman said. “It helps put us on the map as a progressive city. It elevates our stature as a progressive region.”

Extensions to the Norfolk Naval Base, Old Dominion University and Norfolk International Airport will be considered. Opinions of light rail may be softening in Virginia Beach since the 1999 referendum, although the Beach council has not formally discussed the possibility of an extension there.

Since the vote, MacArthur Center became established and residential development boomed in downtown Norfolk, and Town Center was built in Virginia Beach.

Beach Mayor Meyera Oberndorf said she’s heard from businesspeople, particularly around Town Center, who want light rail, as well as from residents.

“Our demographics are changing; we’re having more people come from other parts of the U.S. who are used to riding transit,” said Oberndorf, adding that she does not yet have a position on light rail.

For now, HRT is focused on building the first segment.

Last week, HRT’s commission voted to buy nine new light rail cars from Siemens Transportation Systems Inc., piggybacking on Charlotte’s order for vehicles for its rail line under construction in North Carolina. The cost, including support and spare parts, is $36 million.

Also, the first of 11 construction contracts has been advertised for building an elevated section of the line between Harbor Park and Brambleton Avenue near Norfolk State University. About 30 contractors turned out for a pre-bid meeting. That contract will be awarded in early November, and construction is expected to begin in mid- to late November.

By late January, a total of five contracts are to be awarded. Come February, construction activities should be under way along most of the route.

HRT officials said that communicating with the public during the construction period is critical because there will be inconveniences, traffic congestion, noise and disruptions to businesses and neighborhoods.

To open dialogue, two community meetings are being planned for late October, before construction starts. More will be held as the project progresses, said James Toscano, HRT’s vice president of communications.

HRT will also launch an improved Web site on Monday.

Even before the first track is laid, light rail has already started to benefit and shape the city.

Three planned developments – the Wachovia Center on Monticello Avenue and the Belmont at Freemason, and the Residence Inn by Marriott on Brambleton Avenue – were influenced by the light rail line, said Roderick S. Woolard, the city’s economic development director. “We see light rail as taking the city of Norfolk to another level – opening up transportation-oriented development opportunities,” Woolard said. Such development incorporates mixed uses around transit stations.

“If you look at cities across America with rail, whether it’s below ground, grade level or up in the air, they are the great cities of America,” Wright said. “We may not be major leagues in baseball, basketball or hockey, but we’re in the major leagues of transit now.”

Debbie Messina, (757) 446-2588,

debbie.messina@pilotonline.com

Old 09-30-2007, 07:44 AM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times
When I was living there, if it had gone into the bases especially the Norfolk Base, I would definitely ridden it. Waiting in line for 30mins - 1hr everyday to get in the base is just ridiculous.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:41 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Ask me again in 10-20 years because that is how long it would take to complete a 5 city partnership but as I look at the project today it is not going to work...history will tell you that none of the local cities will work together to solve problems

Old 10-04-2007, 02:06 PM

44 posts, read 170,530 times
Default I'll beleive when I see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdogg View Post
Norfolk is nearing construction of it's light rail starter line. The plan is eventually to make this a regional system that extends up to NN and Hampton and to Virginia Beach and certain portions of Chesapeake. Virginia Beach initially rejected the proposal years ago but have recently signaled that they may wish to extend it at least to Town Center. An extension to Norfolk naval station is already in the planning stages. My question is this: If light rail becomes available or convenient in your area, will you ride it? Why or why not? I've seen a lot of complaints about the traffic situation on here lately so I want to see if people view this a a viable alternative. Here's some background for those needing info:

Norfolk officials gearing up for light-rail line

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/Merrittk92/0803lightrail500x325.jpg (broken link)
The local yokals hate it (those who never been out of here) while the Citified transplants love it! Hey wake up Hampton Roads this is called modernization/convenience! If the word gets out and people use it across the board it will cut down on traffic (it should be extended to the beach, across the Peninsula and hook up to major rail lines out of state). Going to the beach without worrying about a place to park/crowds/congestion would be wonderful. But, I'll out of here by then!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:58 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBoy View Post
The local yokals hate it (those who never been out of here) while the Citified transplants love it! Hey wake up Hampton Roads this is called modernization/convenience! If the word gets out and people use it across the board it will cut down on traffic (it should be extended to the beach, across the Peninsula and hook up to major rail lines out of state). Going to the beach without worrying about a place to park/crowds/congestion would be wonderful. But, I'll out of here by then!
I do agree with your post most major cities that have these lines can say they have been a success, and it would most likely work here if it had the proper backing...I would be all for it ...The only problem is that Hampton Roads or Tidewater or whatever the catchy name is this week is not a major city....It is a group of different cities that over the past 30+ years can not seem to work together on major projects.....Every city only wants to do what will benefit them the most...Look at the times Norfolk has tried to bring in a pro sports team and none of the other cites would offer any aid...Look at when Va Bch was looking into opening up a world class zoo and Norfolk had a fit and threaten to stop selling Va Bch water because they knew it would close down their little city zoo....Look when Chesapeake had a fit over property for the so called Southeast or southwest expressway (what ever you want to call it) when Va Bch wanted to have it built to reduce traffic....It does look like this may finally come true and be built but it has only taken about 20 years to long to get the ok...The list goes on and on...That is why I cant see the light rail working, Va Bch has already stated they will not allow it to travel to the oceanfront, if within the city at all....They first stated it would reduce the number of people staying at the hotels along the oceanfront as it would give people the ability to find cheaper options elsewhere (note less tax money for the city)....not sure where they came up with that idea as I cant see mon, dad and their 2 kids riding the rail with suitcases in hand off for a vacation....After they were kind of called on that lame excuse they then stated that they would not agree to lightrail running to the oceanfront because of the increase of people visiting the oceanfront would cause safety concerns. They state the crowds now are regulated based on the number of hotel rooms and public parking spaces...not sure I buy that 100% but at least it sounds better...
The bottom line is that until these cities can work together as a whole I cant see light rail extending ourside of Norfolk for many many years

Old 10-08-2007, 11:42 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,035 times
I'd ride it. I think it's great.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I do agree with your post most major cities that have these lines can say they have been a success, and it would most likely work here if it had the proper backing...I would be all for it ...The only problem is that Hampton Roads or Tidewater or whatever the catchy name is this week is not a major city....It is a group of different cities that over the past 30+ years can not seem to work together on major projects.....Every city only wants to do what will benefit them the most...Look at the times Norfolk has tried to bring in a pro sports team and none of the other cites would offer any aid...Look at when Va Bch was looking into opening up a world class zoo and Norfolk had a fit and threaten to stop selling Va Bch water because they knew it would close down their little city zoo....Look when Chesapeake had a fit over property for the so called Southeast or southwest expressway (what ever you want to call it) when Va Bch wanted to have it built to reduce traffic....It does look like this may finally come true and be built but it has only taken about 20 years to long to get the ok...The list goes on and on...That is why I cant see the light rail working, Va Bch has already stated they will not allow it to travel to the oceanfront, if within the city at all....They first stated it would reduce the number of people staying at the hotels along the oceanfront as it would give people the ability to find cheaper options elsewhere (note less tax money for the city)....not sure where they came up with that idea as I cant see mon, dad and their 2 kids riding the rail with suitcases in hand off for a vacation....After they were kind of called on that lame excuse they then stated that they would not agree to lightrail running to the oceanfront because of the increase of people visiting the oceanfront would cause safety concerns. They state the crowds now are regulated based on the number of hotel rooms and public parking spaces...not sure I buy that 100% but at least it sounds better...
The bottom line is that until these cities can work together as a whole I cant see light rail extending ourside of Norfolk for many many years
Let me clarify a few things. The mayor of Va. Beach is on record as stating that there seems to be support to run light rail to at least town center. She said in the same article that attitudes and changed since the last referendum. The RAC (Resort advisory committee) has gone on record to support the acquisition of the rest of the Norfolk Southern right of way to bring transit to the oceanfront. They are currently looking at extending rail through the new midtown tunnel into Portsmouth. Believe it or not attitudes can change, even in our backwards little non-major city.

ARTICLE: Federal official signs funding contracts for Norfolk's light rail (The Virginian-Pilot - HamptonRoads.com/PilotOnline.com) (broken link)

Hoteliers request extension of railway to the Oceanfront (broken link)

ARTICLE: Norfolk's light rail gets the green light (The Virginian-Pilot - HamptonRoads.com/PilotOnline.com) (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=133595&ran=113558 - broken link)

^^^From the above article:

“Our core city of Norfolk recognized this regional transportation effort had to start,” Coleman said. “It helps put us on the map as a progressive city. It elevates our stature as a progressive region.”

Extensions to the Norfolk Naval Base, Old Dominion University and Norfolk International Airport will be considered. Opinions of light rail may be softening in Virginia Beach since the 1999 referendum, although the Beach council has not formally discussed the possibility of an extension there.

Since the vote, MacArthur Center became established and residential development boomed in downtown Norfolk, and Town Center was built in Virginia Beach.

Beach Mayor Meyera Oberndorf said she’s heard from businesspeople, particularly around Town Center, who want light rail, as well as from residents.

“Our demographics are changing; we’re having more people come from other parts of the U.S. who are used to riding transit,” said Oberndorf, adding that she does not yet have a position on light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area