Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have lived in the Williamsburg area, what are the pros & cons of living in a non-gated community, right by colonial section of Williamsburg. Part of me thinks it would be nice to be able to walk over to that wonderful library on Scotland street. But.... does the area become a real pain during tourist season? Does the area have mostly rental properties rented by students? Are there traffic issues because it's the central part of town? Etc.

On the flip side of the coin, what are the pros and cons of living in one of the gated communities? The gate seems a little odd in places like Kingsmill, considering how easy it is for anyone to get in there. Or does it serve a psychological purpose? Also, are the residents responsible for the upkeep of the roads in a gated community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Also, are the residents responsible for the upkeep of the roads in a gated community?
I can answer from our experience in NC. Yes, the home-owner's association is responsible for road maintenance since it is a private road. And, I think the value is mainly psychological since a determined crook could easily get in.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM

I guess having a gate was considered prestigious a decade or so ago? I like Kingsmill quite a bit and suspect I'll also like Fords Colony, but I think I'd like them better if they weren't gated. It's not like Williamsburg is a high crime area.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM

794 posts, read 1,408,991 times
Traffic is never bad anywhere in Williamsburg, except confusion corner during tourist season (where Richmond Road and Jamestown road meet).

You will run into the student issue, though. Houses around there are either super expensive (no personal property tax in the city of williamsburg), or student rentals.

Kingsmill and Fords Colony are a community unto themselves. I'm not sure how to say it without offending, but they are gated communities in a very safe, very suburban verging on country town. And so they attract a certain type of person who wants that prestige.

Will you be working or retiring? What sort of neighborhood are you looking for?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM

Retirees. We're not completely sure what sort of neighborhood we want--it's evolving as we visit and see the reality of what neighborhoods are like. Is William and Mary a party school (in other words, would it be a real PITA to live in a neighborhood with lots of student rentals)?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:08 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,007 times
There are numerous areas near CW with none or very few student rentals but they are pricey. Typically the higher the price range the fewer the students. W&M students are a studious bunch but they do party although not nearly as much as UVA or many other colleges.

Gated communities aren't for everyone its not so much the prestige but some folks feel more secure. We have a large number of second home owners in each of those communities. There is a certain sense of security for them also. And as you found out Kingsmill is easy to get into. Not so for Ford's Colony, at least if you are driving. Both of them have large road maintenance budgets since the roads are private.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM

16 posts, read 49,464 times
I'll comment on Kingsmill. We just bought a place and moved there in December after moving to the area from out of state. Being in a gated community was not an factor for us. We liked that at the Kingsmill gate there is a separate lane for residents and a bar code on your car lets you in without having to check in with anyone so is quick and you don't really feel the presense of a gate (not certain I believe at Fords Colony you always have to check in with a person which I would think is is bit more cumbersome). For us the appeal of Kingsmill was not prestige but instead we liked the layout and well-maintained feel of the roads, houses, neighborhoods, and there are three community centers with pools, tennis courts, playground, in addition to having the James River nearby, which for us was attractive having chidren.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 PM

Thanks so much for your comments! I have been hoping and hoping someone who actually lived in Kingsmill would chime in. I'm very curious about pros and cons and what it's like to live there from the perspective of a resident.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,007 times
FYI, there are six entrances into Ford's Colony. Only two are manned, you simply use your gate card to enter through any of the others if you live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area