Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:14 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondback13 View Post
"Norfolk" - if you feel like you're swearing when you say it, you're saying it right!!
Good description!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM

73 posts, read 159,358 times
Funny. I am not sure how long it will take me to learn to say it that way but I shall try. Another question - we are renting, when we move in does the landlord have to paint before we move in, and what about carpets? The place we are moving into really needs a good paint job on all floors, and the carpet is worn and pilled in many places. Should this be fixed before we move in or is that something we just need to work out with the rental company? Is it a good thing to take pictures of the rental when we move in just in case they try to say the damage was not there and we caused it? We have been homeowners for so many years so renting is very new to us.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:35 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbartley View Post
Funny. I am not sure how long it will take me to learn to say it that way but I shall try. Another question - we are renting, when we move in does the landlord have to paint before we move in, and what about carpets? The place we are moving into really needs a good paint job on all floors, and the carpet is worn and pilled in many places. Should this be fixed before we move in or is that something we just need to work out with the rental company? Is it a good thing to take pictures of the rental when we move in just in case they try to say the damage was not there and we caused it? We have been homeowners for so many years so renting is very new to us.
Landlords and leases are all different, but I think I'd insist on at least a walk-through inspection with both you and the landlord present. Take pictures if you like, and then file them in a file with your copy of the lease. As for the maintenance before/after moving in, I'd talk to your landlord and express your concerns. Check your lease too. Maintenance is usually addressed in there as well.

How was it down at the oceanfront today? Did you have fun?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 PM

73 posts, read 159,358 times
Thank you. The ocean front is great today. I did spend most of the day at the pool though until it got just too hot for me and I had to retreat to my room for some air conditioning.

Our landlord is going to paint some areas (I said after we move in as the only day they could do it prior would be tomorrow which they would have had to pay the painters double time due to the holiday - not good), and they are 'talking' about the carpet - I think it does need to be replaced but I think the owner thinks it can be replaced after we move out in four years - I dont know. I love the place, but the carpets are in such bad shape. If I owned the home I would be replacing them right now. For painting I do hope they paint the whole house but again I think they are going to just patch up places - I think if that is the case, we will just end up doing it ourselves. It is a very nice home, but a bad paint job will make it look well just bad. So i dont mind doing the work. But what are the laws here about that? I guess I can google it but if anyone has a thought please chime in. Back in Canada it is the responsibility of the landlord to paint and clean etc for the move in. Is that the same here? The way the carpets are there is no way a landlord could rent it out that way in Canada - but again maybe rules are different here? Like I said, I have owned for so many years I am not all that up to date on how the whole rental thing works. Thanks for any advice

Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 PM

179 posts, read 489,707 times
It really is up to the landlord and the tenant what they agree upon before move in. Ask for what you want and you will probably have to settle for something in the middle. If you choose to do the work yourself you can ask for the supplies to be taken off the rent but they don't have to you do it or agree to it. Just plan on doing everything very beige/white if you paint it.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 AM

91 posts, read 275,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbartley View Post
We move in four more days - from cold cold Alberta to VB.......We have found and secured a nice rental a few steps from the beach - in Chic's Beach...but a mile from any bus stop. Some questions:

- How is transit in VB? Can I count on the bus to come when it says it will arrive? Or should I buy a car?
- If I buy a car where is the best place to go to buy a used car for say $10G or less?
- Looking for an office / admin job in the area......the salaries are very low compared to here.....any ideas on sites to check out? (I am used to making $55G/yr but similar jobs in VB are about $25G)
- Is it okay to ride a bike from Pleasure House Road to Creeks Edge Drive? Is it safe? There is a gym down there (Inlet Fitness) that I want to check out but wonder about the bike commute?
- What are some fun things that we should do being newcomers to the city?
- Finally, rip currents.....are they that dangerous? Does one often encounter them while swimming in the ocean? Is there a water safety course we (and the teenager) should take first?

Thanks for any input......
chics beach is not a good spot for busses. the closest bus to you is the 29... that runs closer to shore dr/great neck rd intersection. to buy a used car for that cheap, look in the newspaper or on craigslist. VB has low salaries and high rent. cost of living sucks here, go to west virginia or Mississippi. newcomers... well how old are you? you need a car here!, but i say dont come here. go to WV or Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area