Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 PM

177 posts, read 654,657 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with going through the process of finding a home security system with voice over internet? Which systems did you look at and which ones would you stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 01:14 AM

228 posts, read 601,289 times
SKJM - iCam

This may not be quite what you are looking for...but, worth sharing.

I use this for keeping an eye on my home. It is a 4.99 app for iPhone and Android. The software is free to download for mac and pc.

It can be used to run multiple webcams at home...and, I currently can dial in from my iPhone, iPad, work PC, etc. to see how things are going at home. It is motion activated, sends real time notifications, and even has audio so you can hear what is going at home.

Hope this helps as an option for you!

Old 12-23-2012, 02:04 PM

200 posts, read 618,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAllGood View Post
Does anyone have any experience with going through the process of finding a home security system with voice over internet? Which systems did you look at and which ones would you stay away from?
There is no security system that works with VOIP, your only choice would be a cellular radio connection to the central station.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealarm View Post
There is no security system that works with VOIP, your only choice would be a cellular radio connection to the central station.
That is not exactly correct.
I use a central station monotoring company called Slomins Home Security Systems, Home Security, Home Heating, Home Heating Oil, Home Cooling & Air Conditioning.
And I use Vonage for may phone system. It works flawlessly. I test it monthly to ensure everything is working properly. They use hardwired equipment, although they have wireless, which I prefer to avoid the need to have to change lithium batteries in the sensors. Another benefit of hardwired equipment is it rarely breaks down. I had them in NJ for 9 years & here in Virginia for 5 years & have NEVER had to place a service call. I worked for Protection One security & although they offered me FREE monitoring, I chose to pay for my Slomins.

The only recomendation I would make it to have teleguard removed. Telegard is a self monitor feature which alerts you if the phone line is disconnected. UNFORTUNATLY, the way you are notified is my the house siren going off. Since VOIP is internet based & the cable companies & Fios cycle thier service occasionally, it can be a rude 3:00am awakening <lol>

Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
That is not exactly correct.
I use a central station monotoring company called Slomins Home Security Systems, Home Security, Home Heating, Home Heating Oil, Home Cooling & Air Conditioning.
And I use Vonage for may phone system. It works flawlessly. I test it monthly to ensure everything is working properly. They use hardwired equipment, although they have wireless, which I prefer to avoid the need to have to change lithium batteries in the sensors. Another benefit of hardwired equipment is it rarely breaks down. I had them in NJ for 9 years & here in Virginia for 5 years & have NEVER had to place a service call. I worked for Protection One security & although they offered me FREE monitoring, I chose to pay for my Slomins.

The only recomendation I would make it to have teleguard removed. Telegard is a self monitor feature which alerts you if the phone line is disconnected. UNFORTUNATLY, the way you are notified is my the house siren going off. Since VOIP is internet based & the cable companies & Fios cycle thier service occasionally, it can be a rude 3:00am awakening <lol>
Sorry to tell you but you are wrong, VOIP works maybe at the most 50% of the time. I own an alarm Co. and I used to work for Napco the equipment that Slomins uses. digital communications equipment in the control panel gets interfered with by the signaling tones in VOIP any alarm co. will tell you that, and if you read the contract that Optimum has you sign, on the bottom it says they do not guarantee your alarm system will work. research it on the internet. Lots and lots of my customers tried to get away with using VOIP and found out the signals never went through.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 PM
NJR

Quote:
Sorry to tell you but you are wrong, VOIP works maybe at the most 50% of the time. I own an alarm Co. and I used to work for Napco the equipment that Slomins uses. digital communications equipment in the control panel gets interfered with by the signaling tones in VOIP any alarm co. will tell you that, and if you read the contract that Optimum has you sign, on the bottom it says they do not guarantee your alarm system will work. research it on the internet. Lots and lots of my customers tried to get away with using VOIP and found out the signals never went through.

I here what you are saying Mike, Many companies shy away from VOIP. According to my Slomin's paperwork, Slomins uses a proprietary alarm protocol and have directly stated in writing:

The IPtoPOTS solution overcomes all of the traditional problems associated with alarm systems and VoIP networks and is able to consistently get alarm signals through to their intended destination.

From my own personal experience I have not had a fail yet in any of my testings, and I monitor the outgoing call from my screen & don't just take Slomins word that the received the signal. The timestamps match. I also DO use a dedicated VOIP line to my alarm system to avoid any conflicts with my voice line.

Of course it only takes 1 failure. If someone is very concerned, there is nothing more solid than a hardline phone!

Old 12-24-2012, 06:02 AM

You should find out what manufacturer the control panel is, and ask that company if their equipment will handle VOIP because I have never heard of what you are talking about and I have been in the alarm business for 40 years, if you need more info about this you should go to this web site diyalarmforum.com.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 AM
NJR

Quote:
You should find out what manufacturer the control panel is, and ask that company if their equipment will handle VOIP because I have never heard of what you are talking about and I have been in the alarm business for 40 years, if you need more info about this you should go to this web site diyalarmforum.com.
Thanks Mike,
I actually do have to get into this since I will be moving to Tenn & Slomins is not available in that state.
Since my next house (a farm) will be extensive in size & grounds with out buildings that need securing, I am going to hardwire the system myself. Then I will need to find a monitoring company.

As far as Slomins statement, for all I know they could be B.S.ing but I have never had an issue in 14 years.

Thanks for the link!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
Thanks Mike,
I actually do have to get into this since I will be moving to Tenn & Slomins is not available in that state.
Since my next house (a farm) will be extensive in size & grounds with out buildings that need securing, I am going to hardwire the system myself. Then I will need to find a monitoring company.

As far as Slomins statement, for all I know they could be B.S.ing but I have never had an issue in 14 years.

Thanks for the link!
I know Slomins I am in the same town, They are mainly an oil company and used their customers to sell alarms, I would never trust them, anyhow if you want to stay with what you have add a cellular radio to your system as a backup just for peace of mind so you will always have two different signals to the central station in case one fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area