Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:05 AM

11 posts, read 77,981 times

Advertisements

If you have a car in your driveway, current registration, insured...but you are not driving it at the moment, do you still have to get it inspected? Common sense would say no, since it is not being driven, but this is America, land of the not so free, so I have to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 08:04 PM

135 posts, read 390,419 times
Yes. It is still required.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:41 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
Common sense also says that a car that is registered and insured is capable of being driven on the road so it should be inspected.

Why wouldn't you do this? It's not costly and assuming you don't wait until the end of the month, it does not take long.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 AM

211 posts, read 409,151 times
the only vehicles in VA that I know of that can have a current registration/tags, and not need a state inspection are those vehicles over 25 years in age registered as Antique, which I assume yours is not.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 AM

Not quite 25 yet, but getting there.. (93). Not being driven at the moment because I am restoring rusted out seat panels.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:08 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post

Why wouldn't you do this? It's not costly and assuming you don't wait until the end of the month, it does not take long.
Because if they find something "wrong" then it becomes a much bigger headache.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
I wouldn't do this because I am not ready to. I know what a car needs to get inspected, and I am not ready for it yet, nor do I look for shortcuts to get it passed. I am fixing the car up on my own time, not in any mad rush to make sure I fix it within a year.
Anyway, in terms of the law, the only thing I found for sure is that it needs to be registered and insured, and that it is. If anyone can point to something that talks about inspection, glad to see it. (the only thing I found about that is once a car gets registered in VA, it needs to be inspected immediately, and that did happen).

Last edited by Amopower; 05-26-2013 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 10:44 AM

95 posts, read 189,078 times
The real answer to your question is no. At least not in the sense of late fees, or fines. However, if the vehicle looks derelict, the expired sticker is in plain view,(facing street), your neighbors panties are easily
wadded, and the fact that this IS America and all your properties belongs to us, you may still run afoul of
of at least a couple of the bazillion laws, statutes, by-laws, ordinances, or codes on the books.
I feel reasonably safe in retaining my ownership of such a vehicle stored in my garage,-- but then again
Lack of current vehicle registration fees, or as Virginia likes to call it, property taxes, will not be tolerated
by any means, and if need be, a Chinook helicopter may be deployed to extract this vehicle from the back 40 of your property. Since insurance companies are a major shareholder of the government, they too will fine you.
Now, have a nice day.
P.S. I get a chuckle every time someone writes, " Why don't you just take your undriveable car to the inspection station."

Last edited by runzwithsizorz; 05-26-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 10:58 AM

No, the car faces the house, and does not look derelict other than a 1 foot patch of missing paint. If someone looked under the car and saw the rust damage, then that's a different story. Not really near neighbors either, so it sounds like I am in good shape. (if what you say jives with what I also thought, but not what other posters think here).

Old 05-26-2013, 11:03 AM

382 posts, read 867,243 times
The answer is a simple NO. If it is in your driveway or on your property it DOES NOT need a current inspection sticker. It has to have one to be OPERATED on a highwy in the Commonwealth, it can actually be PARKED in front of your house and be legal as long as the tags and other required stickers are in date. It just can't MOVE on a street. All of Virginia's laws are online and can be followed up there.

Would I park it on the street, probably not, if you get that one cop that didn't read the Code of Virginia then you could be in trouble. You can actually drive it to the shop without penalty, but only if you go directly to the repair shop. Again, your local police might not agree but the Judge will. ( As long as he reads the Code.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area