Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 05:29 AM

48 posts, read 187,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc
You do have some largely black neighborhoods in Va Bch and you also have some largely white neighborhoods also but most are a mixture of all races and everyone seems to get along...Sure you will have a few families here and there that have to show the hate but I guess you will find that everywhere....Va Bch does have a gang problem...not just black gangs but white gangs and hispanic gangs also so it is smart to know their territory especially if you have kids
Having only 200K will be a problem in this area as most houses are well above that average especially where most people consider the area safe with low crime.....You might have better luck trying to find a rental until you learn the area and decide on if you want to buy or not in a certain neighborhood....The market is flat right now so you might be able to find a rent to own type of deal for around a grand a month in a few of the lower priced neighborhoods or something in the condo/townhome areas but be perpared because in Va Bch most apartments rent for that much and much more....

Would it be possible to give me an idea of the area where most of the gang problems are concentrated? I have already chosen an apartment community - Woodshire Apartments on S. Budding Avenue. I do have children and is quite concerned for them both - boys. And, I'm African-American. I read the Virginian Pilot on-line about once a week. But, hearing it from someone other than the reporters gives me a bit more of a better perspective on what I may expect.

Thank you so much in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,884 times
I can tell u personally there always gnags somewhere, but in VA Beach not very much if there are gangs they dont do anything. They are usally a group of friends say there a gang but they are just acting stupid and childish. Now Newport News a good 15 miles away 40 -50 min away has much real gang activity, and parts of Norfolk, but Va beach is low on crime rate, robbery low, but still always be careful there are always nut jobs out in the world.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:39 PM

132 posts, read 661,221 times
I believe the area you have choosen is OK. I have lived in VB for 35yrs, and with most places in the country, crime is everywhere. As far as gangs, there is no real "gang activity" in VB except for certain area high school kids that fight at parties and call themselves "gangs". Sure there are some pretty bad neighborhoods where there are drugs,shootings,etc but you can find that in any city. I am pretty sure that the area you have choosen is zoned for Princess Anne High School which is a very good school. Try searching VB school zone maps, and enter your address. As long as you are not in the Plaza or Green Run schools, you just fine.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 PM

126 posts, read 595,662 times
msviolar,

Try VBCPS - School Locator / Map Center.

-Mark

Old 01-23-2008, 10:57 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
If a community your considering looks good in the afternoon, go back at night. Drive around the block so to speak, look at the crowd at a 7-11 etc. This will give you a feel of what the area is really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area