Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 02:40 PM

341 posts, read 424,081 times

Advertisements

Hi. I grew up in Hampton Roads (1974-1998) and after 10 years in the desert, I wanted to offer my unsolicited opinion on the southwest city of Tucson/Pima County vs. the southeast region of Hampton Roads.

1. Traffic
Traffic was always a nightmare in H.R. We have rush hour in Tucson, but that's what it is: a rush HOUR. I don't miss 'tunnels and bridges, tunnels and bridges' and the tendency of any old car to break down once it gets in the tunnel. I especially don't miss retarded people that tap on their brakes just because they are going into a tunnel. Edge: The Southwest. Even with our uninsured, illegal alien drivers. Our roads are crap right now, but they're working on them. And I mean 'work' as in verifiable improvements, not 'work' as in Military Highway staying torn up for 35 years/ugly Highway Barrier walls being erected everywhere.

2. The People
Hampton Roads has too many mean, angry people. Of both colors. The most hateful people I've ever met are from my hometown. And the others are unbearably snooty. Tucsonans are mostly down-to-earth types and take this category by a landslide.

3. The Scenery/weather
I miss the glorious fall. But then, to see a truly beautiful fall, you need to get out of Hampton Roads anyway, and go to Skyline Drive. Still, the feeling of a crisp fall on an October night is very special. Seeing a fresh snow is great. I definitely miss the rivers and the ocean. Tucson has a big, sky with bright astral phenomena outside the city lights, cool desert breezes, sahuaro cactuses and is surrounded by Catalina mountains. It's hard to rank God's creation, so I'll give it a wash.

4. City Hall Corruption
It's so obvious that Hampton Roads... and the CITY of Hampton in particular.. are unbelievably corrupt. My parents still live in the city of Hampton, bless their hearts, and their property assessments have increased 400% in the last three years. I'm sure that money gets diverted into "projects" owned by "entities" that go on year after year. From road building to "infrastructure improvement." All the while, property owned by city managers is assessed very low. If you're elected to office, whether you're white or black, it's some kind of a gravy train. And if you're not elected, and you try for a city job in Hampton or Newport News, you'd better have more melanin in your skin. The reverse racism is appalling. The City Government in Tucson is far superior, and seems to have less overt corruption. That's the way it is when major spending has to be approved by referendum by the voters. Tucson wins.

5. Crime
Tucson is near the border. Tucson and the southwest in general has a huge meth problem. Cars get stolen a lot. Illegal Aliens and smugglers live here. Hampton Roads has... uh, Portsmouth. Yes, I am a Portsmouth basher. I lived in Oregon Acres (that's just off Airline Blvd) from 1978-1985. Tower Mall was flattened for a reason, and it wasn't because of the existance of Chesapeake Square, no matter what you say. It's a wash.

6. The Food

When I go back home, there's only a few things I'm willing to eat: Southern Seafood. Crabcakes. Flounder. And the barbeque I was raised with. Those are hard to come by here! But Hampton Roads is also flush with ****ty chain restaurants and cafeterias. Bleh. Although the Mexican food you get in Hampton Roads is prepared by authentic illegal Mexicans, the restaurant supplier is the same, and the food is uninspired. The Southwest fare here is better, and there is also a more eclectic, western-inspired offering of cuisine from different cultures. The edge goes to Tucson. (Although, oddly, the best steak I've ever eaten was in Washington D.C.)

7. The Culture
For its size and heritage, Hampton Roads seems hampered by its government coat strings. It gave and it took away. Innovation is somewhat stifled when Uncle Sam offers security. I can always tell the departing gate at the airport by looking at the people: people going back to California are tan and all slutted-up. Tucsonans are tan but less spectacularly dressed, but they usually accent it with something out of the ordinary. And Hampton Roads people are rather dour and frumpy. Ah, the fashion stylings of J.C. Penny and 17th Street Surf Shop. Tucson is said to be ugly with nothing to do, and I disagree. The Desert Museum of live animals. Mexico is a short trip away. Off roading in the desert. Hiking. Beautiful resorts. The best acts in the country come in Phoenix. Growing up in Hampton Roads: Well, Huey Lewis came once. Aside from that, I hope you like jazz (vomit). Hiking? Where? CBN is not what I would call a 'beautiful resort.' Yeah, you've got the beach. Not that it's a total pain in the balls to get there unless you ride a bike.

Okay, I think the Southwest has it all over Hampton Roads. My very humble opinion. Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 05:05 PM

95 posts, read 647,173 times
Hi Baghead,

Funny seeing this topic. I just moved back to Hampton Roads last month after two years in Tucson and a few months in Scottsdale. I've lived in several states (mostly on the east coast, so a little biased) and a couple other countries and Hampton Roads is my favorite area. I couldn't wait to get back here!

1. So... traffic. Yep, Tucson definitely has it over HR. I was rudely reminded of this the other morning when it took me an hour to get to the HRBT when I was maybe 4 miles from it. But the interstate in Tucson is on one side of town and isn't very convenient.

2. People. They tended to be friendlier and more outgoing in Arizona. But you have jerks everywhere and the people seem friendlier here in HR than when I left a couple years ago. I love how supportive the community is of the military, not that it has much choice. Again, I'm biased.

3. Scenery/Weather. I never would have thought it would be possible to get tired of sunshine. It rained for a few days when I got back and I was thrilled. I love the variety in weather and will suffer through the humid summers. The desert is beautiful, but I love the water and greenery. Nice to see grass lawns again, although the trees seemed awfully tall the first few days back. I love how you can go from the beach to rural Suffolk in less than an hour.

4. Corruption. Not informed enough to comment.

5. Crime. My car was stolen when I lived in Yorktown but never had a problem in Tucson. Go figure. I'd venture to say more property crime and definitely more identity theft in Arizona and more violent crime here. Just my impression, haven't compared stats.

6. Food. I love seafood and am indifferent toward Mexican food, so I vote HR.

7. Culture. There are many historical sites in both areas. There is a lot more to do here, from going to the beach to touring Jamestown. I don't think people here are dour or frumpy at all! I thought Tucsonans tended to be sloppy dressers, but I'm not much for casual. Much more diversity here.

Thanks for posting this!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:31 PM

341 posts, read 424,081 times
Well you're welcome. I love driving home on Golf Links just to see what you guys are doing above me.

And the HRBT is a life wasting demon that you will come to hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area