Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 PM

368 posts, read 995,643 times

Advertisements

Maybe we'll start a trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:23 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
Huh. I've only heard it in reference to the SE. Interesting.
I've always heard it used to describe newport news in general as well, that said, anyone from around here will tell you that you really want to avoid the areas southeast of Mercury... particularly the numbered streets. So I don't think your impression is wrong. There are plenty of nicer parts on Newport News as it is a geographically large city.

Just my opinion here, as far as Old Towne vs Ghent goes, there is more going on in the Ghent/Freemason/ODU area but it is more expensive and you have to deal with all of the hipsters (some like that some don't haha). In terms of pure potential, again just my opinion, I'd say Old Towne could be the nicest part of the whole region if they could get some more people to invest in it. There are a bunch of cool places down there now but still a lot of empty store fronts too. It just has a great vibe, layout, and feel to it. We take the ferry over there from Waterside a couple times a month and always have a good time. I'd never buy a house on a 30 year mortgage there because of flooding concerns, but if I was younger and renting it would definitely be on my list.

Last edited by UHgrad; 05-30-2014 at 04:34 AM..

Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 6,725 times
Thanks, everyone. Looks like we definitely are making the move. We are excited for the transition and will let you know where we end up.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:17 AM

14 posts, read 18,441 times
You should think about looking in downtown Williamsburg, near the college of William and Mary, and Colonial Williamsburg. It's a great area for walkability. I live about 5 minutes from there (driving) but I routinely go to that area for my morning walk because it's so beautiful and there is so much to see. Merchant's Square has lots of great restaurants and shopping, and I think you'd be able to find a rental in that area in your budget. The commute from Williamsburg to Newport News/City Center isn't bad at all. My husband used to work down that way. I would suggest that wherever you choose, you stay on our side of the water. The commute with the tunnels is not fun. Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 6,725 times
Hi all - just an update... we signed a lease on a place in Hilton Village yesterday. Moving next month. Beautiful neighborhood, sidewalks, true community feel, convenient location. Neighborhood itself is stroller-friendly, though

We seriously looked at Ghent (much more stuff to walk to) and Port Warwick (really nice townhouse), but the combination of a shorter commute to City Center NN, the ability to get into a single-family house in our price range, and the strong sense of community were the tipping points for us.

Thanks to all for the advice and information. I might have skipped over Hilton Village if it weren't for your tips. We're really excited to get to the area and start settling in.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,219,600 times
Congratulations on finding a home. Good luck on your move!

Old 06-12-2014, 03:24 PM

368 posts, read 995,643 times
Hey, glad to hear you found a place (and so fast!). Best of luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area