Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 AM

31 posts, read 30,192 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving our family from OC in Southern California to either Hampton Roads or Northern Virginia. We'll flying out in a couple weeks to visit both. The lens that we're using to evaluate the areas (which also include Austin, and Raleigh (area), North Carolina) is the business environment, demographics for small upscale (but casual) restaurant, quality of life activities, and education for our two children (5th and 7th grade). The biggest factor will be the education that our children receive. I would love feedback on these different elements. With regard to schools - how are Norfolk Academy and Cape Henry Collegiate relative to the public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 02:41 PM

419 posts, read 902,782 times
Might want to consider Richmond or Charlottesville- demographics for small upscale (but casual) restaurant

Old 01-29-2015, 03:02 PM

184 posts, read 245,167 times
I think you would be pleased with either school. Hampton Roads has many activities...sports...theater...museums...historic al sites. We are on the Atlantic but the mountains are 3-4 hours away. Washington DC 3 hours away. Williamsburg/Jamestown, an hour up the road. I have helped several clients who have moved from California (military moves) buy homes here and they have all appreciated the cheaper cost of living than what they experienced in California I hope that you have a positive experience when you come to visit and good luck in your search.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
I have to agree with the other poster...having lived in both southern California and Hampton Roads along with spending allot of time on business in the greater DC area ....I would say pass on both the Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia areas and look more in the Charlottesville VA area......I think if you do your homework you will find that it far exceeds both areas in the quality of life requirements you are looking for.

Last edited by rtandc; 01-29-2015 at 07:56 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 07:04 AM

867 posts, read 1,398,291 times
I agree with fmac...all I will say is that Hampton Roads is NOT like Orange County California whatsoever. You are not moving to the East Coast OC. With that, the two schools you mentioned are good...but you wont really need a private school in Virginia Beach. As far as small upscale restaurant scene...there are many areas you could look at in Williamsburg, downtown Norfolk or Ghent, VA Beach Town Center or off of Pacific Ave in Beach Borough or Croatan Beach or somewhere around Chesapeake Beach (Chix Beach). What type of restaurant do you have in mind?

Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadyaM View Post
My husband and I are considering moving our family from OC in Southern California to either Hampton Roads or Northern Virginia. We'll flying out in a couple weeks to visit both. The lens that we're using to evaluate the areas (which also include Austin, and Raleigh (area), North Carolina) is the business environment, demographics for small upscale (but casual) restaurant, quality of life activities, and education for our two children (5th and 7th grade). The biggest factor will be the education that our children receive. I would love feedback on these different elements. With regard to schools - how are Norfolk Academy and Cape Henry Collegiate relative to the public schools?
The schools are both very good, but of course expensive. For Norfolk Academy you're looking at around $50K a year for tuition.

I can tell you right now this is not the area for you. Hampton Roads is ground zero for chain restaurants. People here like them, and are generally scared of non-chains.

You'll also find Virginia ABC (alcohol) to be extremely stringent and difficult to work with. Commercial rents are generally overpriced for the area, and depending on the city, you'll find it difficult to do business (Virginia Beach and Norfolk are extremely petty. This story gives you an idea of the ridiculousness,
http://hamptonroads.com/2014/02/unde...norfolk-panel#

Due to your industry and VA ABC, I would avoid the state altogether, but especially the Hampton Roads area.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:12 AM

998 posts, read 1,250,320 times
I would actually avoid listening to the last poster altogether, very NEGATIVE human being on all posts. Come out and take a look. There is a lot to love in Hampton Roads. We relocated here from SoCal in 2006 and besides missing friends and family the move has proved well worth the effort.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:48 AM

184 posts, read 245,167 times
One of the nice things about this forum is that everyone gets to share their opinion. I have lived in and out of this area (Navy Career) for over 30 years and I decided to live here after I retired from the Navy. In the region, there are a number of wonderful and diverse (not fast food) restaurants that cater to all tastes. As no one has yet commented on the schools, I would offer www.doe.virginia.gov as a resource. This will provide you school standings with respect to Standards of learning criteria as well as dropout rates, numbers in AP classes etc.
The complaints I hear the most from clients who move here is the traffic during rush hours,(but it is all relative to what you are currently experiencing) and the jet noise if you buy a house near Oceana Naval Air Station or Langley Air Base in Hampton. These noise zones are published and when you consider purchasing a home, your Realtor will not only advise you on where these noise zones are but, you will be required to sign that you have been advised if the home is in one of the noise zones or not.
I hope you have a wonderful experience in our area.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:16 AM

31 posts, read 30,192 times
Thank you for all of the terrific replies and feedback. I'm anxious to see Hampton Roads and appreciate your advice.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:02 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Do let us know how your visit goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area