Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,253 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I have enjoyed this site for months now, as my husband and I have been considering relocating down south. Mostly for weather, and to leave the hometown "nest". We are in NE Ohio, small town called Youngstown, about an hour either way from Cleveland or Pittsburgh, PA. Very ethnic, tight knit community, lots of family ties (hence lots of drama), and lots of crime. Looking to finally get out of here. We almost got a divorce last year, and desperately want to move away from all of those repercussions and start fresh. I lived in Greenville, SC back in 2000 while single and really enjoyed it. Have thought of going back there, but kinda want to start a little closer from home.

Anyway....we are both close to 40, have an 8 year old daughter and 5 year old son. So schools/neighborhood would be an issue. Husband is a drywall finisher/journeyman of 20 years, so would be looking for employment in that field and considering areas with such. I found a contracting company... Service Management Inc (SMI) based in Virginia Beach, who seems to be looking for tradesman that hubby will be contacting. I myself am a stay at home mom of 8 years and hope to remain as such.

In general, how is the construction business in VA? Any certain areas better in that field than others? He does both residential and commercial work. We prefer the coast as we have been landlocked all our lives and would really love the beach experience, without the extreme heat of the deep south. With his experience, I can't imagine DH not being able to make a good living at what he does. I have found several options in the Carolinas, but for some reason after finding this company and looking into Va Beach...we are now considering here as well.

We currently have our home for sale and have had several showings, but no bites yet. So that's in process. We have $30k to start, and then another $20k once our home sells. We would be looking rent upon moving, mostly for the obvious reasons of making sure we like it, getting to know the areas, etc.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 06:23 PM

178 posts, read 282,198 times
We have alot of Ohioans in the area so you will definitely fit in here!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 AM

184 posts, read 245,167 times
I would defer to those builders out there, but from my perspective, housing starts are not what they once were, but are happening. There are a number of folks involved in rehabilitating older homes in the area as well.
Having lived here off and on since the late 70s, I think the area has a lot to offer. Museums, theaters, restaurants, beaches/water activities, diversity, and I could go on. I hope you will give us a good look. You are wise to rent first. Besides Virginia Beach, I have clients who have also found that each of the communities that make up "Tidewater" or "Hampton Roads" have their own unique attributes. Good luck with your decision.
As for schools, you may find the following links of use:
www.doe.virginia.gov
and
www.vbschools.com

Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,253 times
Thanks for the responses

I am compiling a list of drywall contractors in the area for DH to call and inquire about hiring. I have job searched for hours and the potential is definitely there. The only thing I am running into is a lot of companies only hire locals or those with a valid license in that state. Hoping we can find someone who will consider a transplant with his experience and expertise.

If anyone else can offer any input it would be much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area