Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,003 times

Advertisements

Hello. I may have a job lead that is located in Hampton, VA but want to do my research beforehand, of course. I'm a single mom with a toddler so I'm looking for a safe residence to live in with my child, and great day care as well in this area. All info is appreciated including price ranges for rentals/houses or townhouses for sale, day cares, opinions about the area for someone in my situation, a great realtor I could contact, or just whatever you think is useful. Negative replies are useful as well if you think a single mom shouldn't relocate here. I do have a medium to large Boxer dog so something else to consider. If this also helps, I am use to being around military life being a previous military spouse, military brat, worked for the AF, and have a handful of military friends. I understand there's a Naval and AFB nearby. The job is with a contractor who supports the military. Pay will be good. Just to emphasize though and I'm sure most understand, my number one focus is the well-being of my toddler.

Thanks for your help! :-)

Last edited by tlh3934; 02-26-2015 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 06:20 AM

184 posts, read 245,116 times
To try and answer some of your questions...
Langley Air Force Base is located in Hampton. Oceana Naval Air Base is located in Virginia Beach. But in the "Hampton Roads" area of which Hampton and Newport News are 2 of the 7 cities that comprise "Hampton Roads" we have Army, Coast Guard and Marine facilities as well. And Newport News is home to one of the Country's largest shipyards.
In checking the Multiple Listing Service this morning, (and I have included both Hampton and the Newport News...right next door) rentals for houses/townhouses/condos that will allow a pet and for a minimum 2 bedroom/1 bath range from $850-$1700. Smaller 2bed/1 bath minimum homes currently on the market run from under 100k to 250k. I usually advise clients to rent for awhile first before deciding on where they would like to buy...when they are not familiar with the area. But I am very sure that you will be able to find a place...either renting or buying that you will be happy with.
I do not have first hand recent experience with child care centers so I will defer to those who have those suggestions to answer...but will tell you that there are a number of licensed centers, both religious based and secular based in the area.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:46 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times
If the job is in Hampton, VA, I would recommend living on the peninsula. Commuting through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel will add greatly to your commute and stress if you are in a 7 mile backup and have to pick up your child at a particular time at the day care center. Traffic in general can be bad in the region.

I would recommend living in York County. I would also recommend living as close to your work place as is reasonably possible. I live in Newport New. Though it suits many people, I do not like NN or this general region for that matter. The positives things here do not overcome the negatives.That's my personal preference. You will read other posts on this forum by folks who love living here and quickly become indignant over negative posts about Hampton Roads.

I do not have experience with child care, but would suggest that you use a licensed provider. Virginia's does not license all child care providers. There have been some real horror stories here with unlicensed providers and dead children.

Good luck. Congratulations on the job offer.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:48 AM

Here is an article regarding unlicensed day care providers in the Commonwealth:

Children in unlicensed day cares are 5 times more likely to die - Richmond.com: Central Virginia News

Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 AM

You can search for licensed & unlicensed but regulated child day care providers here:

Search for Child Day Care - Virginia Department of Social Services

Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 AM

A local article re this issue:

10 On Your Side investigation: Safety concerns about unlicensed daycare providers | WAVY-TV

Old 02-27-2015, 08:27 AM

Thank fmac and TN Lily! This is all helpful.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:26 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
TN Lily, a job offer is a great thing. Don't try to scare her off with childcare horror stories

Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 PM

LOL spencer114. Well I am open to all opinions on the area so this doesn't scare me away. Again, I do want to make sure my toddler is in good hands and is learning as well so TN Lily gave good info. The licensed vs unlicensed daycare stuff is useful. I've been told to make sure day cares are licensed anyway.

Not to put you on spot, spencer114, but do you have any input on the area as well? You can PM me if you rather do that as well as anyone else.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:55 PM

Also, the offer hasn't been done yet but the employer left it to me to decide if I'm 100% interested, to do my research before I proceed. I still have to do an "interview" and get an approval from others but the hiring POC loves my resume and is giving me first dibs on getting the job before it's made public. So it's a big potential but I got to be sure it's the right decision. I'm located in central FL right now, would rather stay here, but I got to do what's "best."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area