Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,771 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!! Im new to this site and for the past couple months my current husband and i have been going through some things that are deal breakers for our marriage and i am 7 months pregnant. i have been making my plan to leave him and probably the state within the next year or two and one of my friends has told me a little about the area and how affordable the housing is over there. i just want to know a little about the area regarding schools, crime rates, housing, businesses, etc. I would also be moving with a puppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 09:32 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
stay out of the city of harrisburg. it is a crime ridden dump and a war zone. seriously, you can get shot WHILE being shot. ever see stand and deliver? yeah, the schools are like that.

you would be better off in mechanicsburg or camp hill, but the people are snobby and two-faced in general. back in the day, i could get a one bedroom apt for around $500 in mech, but that was at a dump called belle terre. the apartment manager was a fat welfare slob that was hooked on all kinds of pills though, so stay outta there. you could probably find a decent place for $700-$800

Old 11-11-2014, 11:16 AM

52 posts, read 109,615 times
I would not recommend moving to Harrisburg or central PA in general. There are many reasons to list on here but here are a few: crime is out of control, the schools are terrible, taxes are high, the weather is oppressive, the restaurant scene is just bad, it is a very long drive to the beach, plus you are pretty far from anything interesting unless you are planning an overnight or weekend trip. The closest places that are interesting are DC, Baltimore, and Philly and take roughly 1.5 to 2 hours one way by car. In general, the population of central PA is not very worldly or sophiticated and therefore there is not much in terms of art, theater, or decent dining or good shopping. Culturally, it is an area that puts great emphasis on farming and hunting. The mindset and tempo of the region reminds me of a poor, rural southern state. Pennsylvania Dutch and Amish culture is widespread, so it is super conservative and old fashioned. You will regularly encounter people who dress and act like people did in the 70s and 80s.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:19 PM

11 posts, read 15,703 times
NUmomma609 -- Could you explain a little more about what you're looking for? City area? Suburbs? Country setting? Are you already familiar with the weather in the northeast/midatlantic area? The people posting are overly negative. There are pros & cons of living everywhere. With a little more info, I think I could get you some more info.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 PM

165 posts, read 232,379 times
You can find affordable housing in the Harrisburg Area but as a few posters have mentioned, I would stay out of Harrisburg and even areas like Colonial Park that is located close to the city itself. If you want an area close to Harrisburg, I would try Linglestown or Hummelstown. I agree with PA717AC, you need to be more specific in your needs and wants. Apartment complexes are your best bet. With a puppy (pets period), you will have trouble finding a house rental.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 5,771 times
Thanks for all of your replies I appreciate it. As far as the area I just want a good safe place to raise my son that has a good school system. I currently live like two hours away in New Jersey from the Harrisburg area and I have visited the area a few times. I was also looking more for an apartment rather than a house. I was also just curious to know a little more about the area as far as diversity goes.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:45 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,218 times
I would recommend looking at York County instead of Harrisburg. Homes and apartments are cheaper in York County. Housing prices in Harrisburg are inflated because of the number of professionals that work there. Spring Grove, Hanover and Dover are some cheap and safe areas in York County. The only school system that I would avoid in York County is York City School District.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numomma609 View Post
..I am 7 months pregnant. I have been making my plan to leave him and probably the state within the next year or two...
Once your child is born, he can prevent you from moving out of state via custody and visitation court order. Even moves within the same state can be restricted to a certain distance. Also, your child's state of residence will be whichever state it is born. That determines which state's courts preside over custody and visitation hearings. In other words, move soon, before your baby is born, if you plan to move out of state.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:13 AM

165 posts, read 232,379 times
Don't expect the suburbs of Harrisburg to be too friendly, it has diversity but there is very little interaction. People tend to stick to themselves and it can be dreary. The businesses are friendly and professional. There are plenty of other posts that go into depth about the city of Harrisburg itself, so I will leave that to the individuals who live in the city. I can tell you about the suburbs around Harrisburg and there is an element of distrust and if you stay there long enough, you will pick up on it. It is very transient among the apartment complexes. You could make friends with someone and the next week they are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area