Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 07:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,076 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Richmond (and love it). Just took a job in the Williamsburg area and am wondering if I should move to save on gas/tolls/commute time. All I really know about the area are the touristy things (Colonial Williamsburg, Kings Dominion, Water Country), but they don't really interest me that much. Can anyone give me an opinion on how it compares to Richmond in terms of restaurants, museums, art galleries, outdoor activities, etc? I'm in my 30's and single and am getting the impression from friends that it might be mostly students and soccer moms. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice to find people to go out with at night. Any feedback you can throw at me would be appreciated. I have to decide whether or not to renew my lease next month and, at this point, I don't really have much to go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 01:43 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times
The percentage of 30 somethings is increasing but we have a long way to go to catch Richmond. I love living here but will admit we don't have the vibe of Richmond with regard to restaurants, music, outdoor recreation. Why don't you spend a weekend here and see what you think ?

Old 11-22-2015, 12:11 PM

12 posts, read 36,411 times
I agree with Mr. Williamsburg. Spend some time in Williamsburg before deciding. The area is based around Colonial Williamsburg, the College of William & Mary, Busch Gardens, and the tourists visiting those places. It is a sought-after destination for retirees but not for your age group. You really need to do your research, especially because you state you love where you are now

Old 11-22-2015, 01:11 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
In general, the people I knew in Williamsburg who wanted to go out to restaurants etc. all moved to Richmond. Retirees seem to really love it there though

Old 11-22-2015, 03:14 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times
Don't rule it out before you come and visit. If I go to a Crossfit workout or go ride Mt Bikes on the trails I see mostly people under 40. As I indicted that segment of the population is growing but has a long way to go. Not sure what you are into but if you visit head to Pauls Deli in New Town and Dog Street Pub in Colonial Williamsburg. Do you cycle ? Try the Capital Trail for road bikes or the trails at Freedom Park for Mt Bikes. For music check out Cogans, The Triangle. If you work out check out Ironbound Gym, American Family Fitness.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 5,076 times
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I've opted to continue my current lease month-to-month so I can explore the area a little more before deciding. I'm also trying to determine if commuting costs even out with the rents in that area (which seem to be a little higher than Richmond). Mr. Williamsburg, thanks so much for the recommendations...I'll definitely check them out. I do have a bike, but hiking and kayaking are my activities of choice. I also really enjoy museums/galleries, but could probably just drive the hour to Richmond if I needed a VMFA fix. Either way, I think spending a weekend in town is an excellent idea!

Last edited by SillyGirl7; 12-16-2015 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area