Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,268 times

Advertisements

Hi, My family and I will be moving to VB from Los Angeles next year for me to attend graduate school. Looking online, it seems that we could purchase a townhouse for roughly the same amount as renting a 3 bedroom apartment near-ish to town center. Specifically I've seen a few properties in the 23462 zip code that are in the $150k range. It's listed as Kempsville area. Is this a nice/safe area for a young family? We have a two year old who will attend kindergarten before my graduate program is complete. Our thoughts were to invest in a starter home that we can stay in for 2-3 years for my program (longer if we like VB and decide to stay) and use as a rental property when we decide to move.... Is this feasible for the $100-150k range? What areas are most recommended in VB for a townhouse in this price range? We wouldn't mind doing a little work to a property, but nothing major as I will be completely occupied with school and don't really want my toddler living in a construction zone... Also, we are originally from Atlanta, so we have lived in the South most of our lives.

Thanks for any input! I know it's probably more advisable to rent first, but coming from Southern California where a 1 bedroom shack easily costs 500k+, we are really excited about the possibility of owning a home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 08:58 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,423 times
If you're not familiar with the area, I would rent first.

The real estate market in Hampton Roads is currently in the crapper, with no light on the horizon. That's good and bad for you.

It's good because it shows no signs of growth any time in the near future, so if you rent and end up liking it, you'll still be able to find something you can afford.

It's bad if you decide to buy now, hate the area, and then find you're either underwater, or it takes months to resell when all you want to do is get out.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:20 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,101 times
I agree with Coconut re: renting first but disagree about the state of our real estate market. As you can see from the stats below sales prices are up and inventory is down in almost all Hampton Roads Market areas.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:09 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
I agree with Coconut re: renting first but disagree about the state of our real estate market. As you can see from the stats below sales prices are up and inventory is down in almost all Hampton Roads Market areas.

You don't know anything! You're just a Realtor!

Old 12-18-2015, 03:09 PM

184 posts, read 244,883 times
I agree with Mr. Williamsburg and yes, I too am a Realtor. There are obviously several questions you raise. Can you find starter homes in the $150k range that could later be used as rental property and the answer is yes. Should you buy given the scenario you describe and the answer is probably, but depends on tax bracket, salaries etc and only you can answer that. Where...is another issue. And this is why I advise clients to consider renting first or al least make a trip or two to the area to get a better understanding of what various areas comprise. There are some good and bad areas in all cities. Kempsville is an older more established area. I bought a house there when I first came to the area. You do not say where you will be going to school and how many cars you have but traffic is also a big consideration for folks in selecting an area to live. Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:41 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,561 times
Realtor.com has listed the VA Beach metro real estate market as one of the top ten "to watch" for 2016 at # 9. Atlanta, San Diego and Charlotte markets are also in the top ten.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:20 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,423 times
OP- Good news: You won't have any problem finding a Realtor to sell you a home. Who would have thunk it!

Old 12-21-2015, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,268 times
Thanks so much for the info. Pretty much confirms what we were planning: rent for at least one year. We will be coming to the area again sometime in April or May to scout rentals. Any suggestions on location? We would really love to rent a house. But with a max budget of 1500 (Would love to spend less, and still be safe, lol) I know that we may have to settle for an apartment. Would love 3 bedrooms, but 2 and an office/den could work. My classes are at the VB Higher learning center for the first year and then I'll be in hospitals all over the area for the rest of the program. We have 2 cars, but I've heard that we should stay away from a commute that involves the tunnel. Ghent in Norfolk and Town Center in VB are the areas we heard were good and most walkable.... Open to all suggestions. Thanks!!

Old 12-22-2015, 02:04 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,561 times
Town Center in VA Beach is pretty much halfway between downtown Norfolk/Ghent and the Oceanfront and is very walkable. We moved here from SoCal in 06 and live on the northern side of the harbor tunnel. The area is called the Peninsula. Getting to and from the Southside (Norfolk/VA Beach etc.) through the tunnel can be painful. Its not the 405 but backups can be up to 7 miles because of accidents, vehicle malfunctions and dolts who have less than adequate driving skills.
There are 1.7 million people in the metro and one of the reasons traffic is a challenge is the WATER, it surrounds us and defines us, its stunning.
BUT the traffic must squeeze over numerous bridges and tunnels to get over and around the water, hence the congestion. By LA basin standards its not that bad but the pain in the ass factor is definitely there. I would suggest living in VA Beach if thats where school will commence. After renting for awhile and getting to know the area you'll be able to spread your geographic wings a little more.
We love it here, some do and some don't. We're water people and are on it or in it every chance we get.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal714 View Post
Hi, My family and I will be moving to VB from Los Angeles next year for me to attend graduate school. Looking online, it seems that we could purchase a townhouse for roughly the same amount as renting a 3 bedroom apartment near-ish to town center. Specifically I've seen a few properties in the 23462 zip code that are in the $150k range. It's listed as Kempsville area. Is this a nice/safe area for a young family? We have a two year old who will attend kindergarten before my graduate program is complete. Our thoughts were to invest in a starter home that we can stay in for 2-3 years for my program (longer if we like VB and decide to stay) and use as a rental property when we decide to move.... Is this feasible for the $100-150k range? What areas are most recommended in VB for a townhouse in this price range? We wouldn't mind doing a little work to a property, but nothing major as I will be completely occupied with school and don't really want my toddler living in a construction zone... Also, we are originally from Atlanta, so we have lived in the South most of our lives.

Thanks for any input! I know it's probably more advisable to rent first, but coming from Southern California where a 1 bedroom shack easily costs 500k+, we are really excited about the possibility of owning a home...
The only problem is if you're transient and leave in 5 to 10 years, like a lot of people end up doing, you're stuck with a place you can't sell for as much as you purchased it. There is a reason properties are as cheap as they are around here. You might be able to use it as rental property, but is the rent going to cover all of your costs. There are a lot of townhouses, condos and apartments under construction, or in the planning phases, with no wage increases in sight; I would do my homework if I were in that position because you never know what may happen with the housing market around here.

Rent for a few years, see what this area is really like. The economy here is heavily dependent on the ports and the military so I wouldn't jump into a purchase. You might not even want something as cheap as $150k once you see what the neighborhood is like, or how small that property actually is. A lot of people think they're one over on the system by purchasing here but that isn't the case at all $150k here, if you're deep within the city in an urban area buys no more than $150k in Atlanta. If anything it might actually be more expensive. If you don't mind being farther out in the suburban neighborhoods that is entirely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area