Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 12:45 PM

15 posts, read 31,572 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone- we are considering a move to Williamsburg this summer for a new job opportunity. Things are moving quickly and I wanted to tap into the expertise on this board to help better define our home & neighborhood search.

Some quick facts that might be helpful:

- Home price: $500K +/- (willing to go significantly higher for the right opportunity but this is our target)
- We have 2 daughters (7 & 10) that are currently very active in athletics and participate in pretty much every sport so convenient access to club teams, etc. is a must. Soccer is the #1 sport for both but they have very broad interests including basketball, gymnastics, volleyball, etc.
- Schools will be a major factor in our decision. I've done some research already but would like to hear the views of parents who actually live in the area.
- Big yard isn't necessary. We've lived in bigger cities and have become accustomed to small lots.
- Would like a neighborhood with a nice community pool and, preferably, a summer swim team for the girls.
- We would love to be in a neighborhood that is very active with social activities for adults, kids, & families.

Thanks in advance to the board for any help. We greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 08:27 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,422 times
Check out Greensprings West, Greensprings Plantation if you want Matoaka Elem, Hornsby MS/ Jamestown HS.
Greensprings West has pool, clubhouse, playground, swim team, kid and adult activities. Governors Land is nice but not as many kids as Greensprings. Gov Land has two pools, tennis, beach on the James River, Marina, private club, golf. Swim team , sailing, golf and tennis camps for kids.
Fords Colony is another nice choice. Although per household there arent many kids its a large neighborhood so overall there are plenty of kids. 80+ on their swim team. Fords Colony has two pools, tennis courts, walking trails, kids/ adult activities.

Kingsmill would be another choice to consider. Again per household not a large number of kids but with 2200+ homes there are many kids in the neighborhood. Pools, tennis, walking trails, lake and river access. If you join their club you can eat at the restaurants. Many kid/adult activities, large swim team.

As for schools my kids went to DJ Montague, Hornsby MS and are now at Lafayette HS. I am extremely pleased all of their teachers, schools through the years. Most of the people I know rave about their kids schools in Williamsburg/ James City County. So although there seem to be favorites I think you can be happy in all.

Kid sports are huge in the area. Most teams practice at Warhill Park, WISC, JCC Rec Center which are very close to Fords Colony but no more than 10-15 minutes from Greensprings Gov Land or Kingsmill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: