Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 AM

28 posts, read 48,261 times

Advertisements

considering a move from TN to the eastern shore, or the outskirts of the Norfolk area.

Wanting that easy drive to Chincoteague for regular visits and needing horse property for my animals.

Wanting a more northern vibe (meaning a diverse community, and accepting of people with differences, lifestyles and overall openness, more liberal I suppose) and just not sure if VA is quite north enough.

What is the community like, cost of living, availability of small farms, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 08:54 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loreebee65 View Post
considering a move from TN to the eastern shore, or the outskirts of the Norfolk area.

Wanting that easy drive to Chincoteague for regular visits and needing horse property for my animals.

Wanting a more northern vibe (meaning a diverse community, and accepting of people with differences, lifestyles and overall openness, more liberal I suppose) and just not sure if VA is quite north enough.

What is the community like, cost of living, availability of small farms, etc?
You're not going to find that (bolded) on the Eastern Shore or in Hampton Roads.

Is Chincoteague negotiable, or must you be close to it for regular visits?

If you don't have to be there, I would look down in FL. Ocala is the "Horse Capital of the World" and you could always live closer towards Tampa or Orlando for the lifestyle vibe you're looking for. Additionally, land is plentiful and cheap, and zoning laws are favorable for animals.

Equestrian - Ocala Marion County Visitors

Old 06-24-2016, 09:16 AM

It is, and Ocala was a consideration when I first moved from NY, oh, 24? years ago. But, we settled in Nashville. Dislikes about that: Landlocked. I miss the coast, and the ocean. Hot, humid sweltering summers. I have never really liked the southern way. What I mean by that is very sweet on the outside, but not really knowing what someone thinks. I prefer the "what you see is what you get" vibe. Bless your heart is more often an insult than an actual expression of caring, lol.

But Florida, I just don't know. Alligators/horses. How does that even mix?

I love Chincoteague. Something about driving across that bridge. It's just a magical place for me.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:27 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loreebee65 View Post
It is, and Ocala was a consideration when I first moved from NY, oh, 24? years ago. But, we settled in Nashville. Dislikes about that: Landlocked. I miss the coast, and the ocean. Hot, humid sweltering summers. I have never really liked the southern way. What I mean by that is very sweet on the outside, but not really knowing what someone thinks. I prefer the "what you see is what you get" vibe. Bless your heart is more often an insult than an actual expression of caring, lol.

But Florida, I just don't know. Alligators/horses. How does that even mix?

I love Chincoteague. Something about driving across that bridge. It's just a magical place for me.
I understand completely! You would obviously get the water moving to the Eastern Shore, or Hampton Roads, but you're still going to get hot, humid summers, and those high fructose corn syrup (imitation sweetness ) southern folks here.

The alligator is just a big lizard, no big deal.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:33 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,826 times
What type of riding do you do? Have you checked out any of the horse organizations on the Delmarva?

I would recommend posting on the COTH (Chronicle of the Horse) forum if you've not already done so. You'll get lots of opinions there. Chronicle Forums
Registration is free.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:00 PM

18 posts, read 32,015 times
I am on the eastern shore and have horses. There is a small horse community here. Might be hard to find small horse property. When we were looking seemed to be huge tracts of historic estates or small lots. But most importantly what has been most difficult is finding supplies and vets. The choices are few and generally expensive. The horse community does seem to be growing though so maybe better times ahead. But if you are looking for activities to do with your horses Delaware seems to have more going on. We actually get most of our hay,feed and supplies in Delaware sometimes Maryland. If you like to ride keep in mind no public land here for riding except the beach at Assateague in the off season.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:45 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,826 times
The horse community in all of Hampton Roads is relatively small compared to most other parts of Virginia.

Cj2010 is point on re supplies and vet. When I had my horse on the peninsula (Hampton), there were two large animal vets who would realistically be able to come to the stable on a regular basis (in theory). My mare is now in Smithfield. There are now 4 large animal vet practices in theory that could come to this barn. Two of the four are not exactly close. I don't want to use a vet that is located an hour away.

Good luck to the OP.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 AM

Funny you should say Delaware, because I am also investigating there. It's not out of range for a weekend trip to Chincoteague, so may be very doable. The only issue is being landlocked (although the beach is never THAT far away).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area