Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 03:29 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Well this job is offering me in the 55K-65K range and its quite a pay raise from where im at now. At a dead-end job now, so this job would jump start my career. I'm just curious about the general gay scene. Are the gays more conservative, liberal, or in-between. I know charlotte, gays are more liberal.
I see. I'm not in the scene I wouldn't know. Maybe someone will chime in. I'm curious though, if the situation (with the community) is better there is it worth staying there when you can do better here? Money isn't everything, and there are things that money can't buy. If you're asking if this place is more repressive than Charlotte, in general, some people would say that it is, if you're asking about the gay community here, as opposed to our opinions or interactions with the community, that is an entirely different question I'm not qualified to answer.

Although I do think that what Coconut was saying earlier about the festivals may have better answered your question that assertion may be superficial. It's like equivocating the fact that there isn't a lot with respect to the African American community going on, celebratory, to suggest that this isn't a great place for African Americans or perhaps if there were it wouldn't mean anything because it's only for SOME African Americans. But isn't that always the case? I wouldn't read too much into that, if that's where you were coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 03:34 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
I would not leave Charlotte for HR. The scene is worse, and the people saying VA is more "northern" than Charlotte have no idea what they're talking about.

The pay at $60 to $65 would be decent, but again, is there any upward potential after that?

Also, what's your industry? Have you considered looking at other large metros? From a hiring managers prospective, seeing somebody move from a larger metro to a smaller metro (with some exceptions) is viewed as a lesser job, no matter the title. You're better off being a small fish in a big pond than a big fish in a small pond. If you were close to retirement I would have a different answer for you, but at 25 you need to look long term. For example, if you were in finance in Charlotte, you need to look to DC, Chicago, San Fran, or New York. Tourism, go to New York, Miami, or Las Vegas. Etc, etc.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:57 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I would not leave Charlotte for HR. The scene is worse, and the people saying VA is more "northern" than Charlotte have no idea what they're talking about.

The pay at $60 to $65 would be decent, but again, is there any upward potential after that?

Also, what's your industry? Have you considered looking at other large metros? From a hiring managers prospective, seeing somebody move from a larger metro to a smaller metro (with some exceptions) is viewed as a lesser job, no matter the title. You're better off being a small fish in a big pond than a big fish in a small pond. If you were close to retirement I would have a different answer for you, but at 25 you need to look long term. For example, if you were in finance in Charlotte, you need to look to DC, Chicago, San Fran, or New York. Tourism, go to New York, Miami, or Las Vegas. Etc, etc.
Well this job i currently have is in Columbia, SC. I live in Charlotte and Commute to Columbia daily. This job offer is in defense and certainly has upward movement.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:12 PM

Defense is certainly one of those exceptions. Is this actually for the government, or just a contractor?

Old 07-31-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Well this job i currently have is in Columbia, SC. I live in Charlotte and Commute to Columbia daily. This job offer is in defense and certainly has upward movement.
Again. Coconut speaks in generalities/euphemisms and isn't speaking to your concerns, which are cultural, not financial. Because you'll do fine financially either way.

People who have money issues here are working poor and they'll have money issues no matter where they live. Only difference between here and up North, for them, is that there are more entitlements up North (unions, welfare, etc) that are easier to get and more plentiful there.

Virginia is not the welfare state that the North and the Midwest are. So working poor people struggle. Believe me, if I could earn $25 an hour here I would make it work. Same with Charlotte. Either is a good look for you as this point.

Virginia is more "Northern" in that it isn't as spread out here. Hampton Roads in particular has multiple downtowns and multiple urban cores. Part of that is because it is seven cities. The other part of it is that the cities are developing their midtown neighborhoods as well. I'm not saying that isn't the case in Charlotte. But I am saying that this area has 2% to 3% population growth each year. Slow but steady. It will pass 2 million in my lifetime.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Virginia is more "Northern" in that it isn't as spread out here. Hampton Roads in particular has multiple downtowns and multiple urban cores. Part of that is because it is seven cities. The other part of it is that the cities are developing their midtown neighborhoods as well. I'm not saying that isn't the case in Charlotte. But I am saying that this area has 2% to 3% population growth each year. Slow but steady. It will pass 2 million in my lifetime.
What on Earth are you talking about?? Multiple downtowns and urban cores? Isn't spread out?? Developing midtown neighborhoods??? Even the most ardent HR supporter will tell you that's not the case.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:09 PM

319 posts, read 278,779 times
As an Army guy I would say most Navy towns are very gay, and friendly.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
What on Earth are you talking about?? Multiple downtowns and urban cores? Isn't spread out?? Developing midtown neighborhoods??? Even the most ardent HR supporter will tell you that's not the case.
I am the most ardent HR supporter.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:16 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
Quote:
Must... not... feed... the trolls...

But who was Newport News City Center? Hampton Town Center? Virginia Beach Town Center? Downtown Norfolk? Ghent? Olde Towne Portsmouth?

Granted, some are planned "fake" downtowns, but still, they're trying.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Must... not... feed... the trolls...

But who was Newport News City Center? Hampton Town Center? Virginia Beach Town Center? Downtown Norfolk? Ghent? Olde Towne Portsmouth?

Granted, some are planned "fake" downtowns, but still, they're trying.
I was having fun. But I don't go to the zoo, so I guess that makes me a hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area