Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 PM

7 posts, read 26,898 times

Advertisements

Hello, we will be PCSing to Langley AFB in November. I did not find many resent posts on the best places to live that would make for an easy/quick commute to the base, with good schools, near other military families, that is not isolated or too near water. If there is a STEM Middle School that would be great. So far I have found two STEM schools but there are probably more, one is in Hampton and one is in Newport News. However, I have heard from some people to stay away from those towns and the school reviews in general are not that great.....not sure if that would be any different for a child in the STEM program...I have heard Yorktown is nice but it looks a lot further, and more pricy with older homes..Some have said York County, but I am not sure what area that covers...I know from experience that I have ended up disagreeing with a lot of people about places to live and schools in the past so I don't know what to believe...for example, some people would say that the neighborhood I currently live in is not good, but I like it. Also, my son currently is in a STEM Academy that is located within another middle school, one that really is not good, but I love the STEM Academy part of it...So I'm torn between trying to get him into a STEM Middle School when we move to Langley AFB versus going for a better school overall...Any info would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 03:39 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,826 times
The STEM school in Newport News is Booker T. Washington Middle School. It is a Marine Science & Pre-Advanced Placement Magnet. Everything I have heard about it is that it is a wonderful school. I have heard parents say it is like a wonderful private school. But you will have to check out how to get your child into the program.

My child attends Woodside High School as part of a "magnet program." It is actually a lottery program. Calling these schools magnet programs is a bit misleading. We found out we were coming to NN after the deadline had passed to apply. But we applied and she auditioned in the band program. She plays an instrument that is not popular which helped her get in. It also helped that she plays well.

If Booker T. is another lottery program (which I think it is), you may be out of luck on getting your child in at this point.

Overall the NN public schools are not good. Some are better than others. Some are dreadful. On this end of the Peninsula, York County by far has the best public schools.

You may also want to check out the Poquoson School system.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2016, 12:16 PM

12 posts, read 36,411 times
Joerayrg,

As an educator, parent and military, I wouldn't base my decision on STEM schools. Hands down, you want to be in either York County or Williamsburg School Systems. However, I wouldn't recommend Williamsburg at this time. With the work on I-64, traffic is horrible and projected to be this way for at least another 4 years.

While York County doesn't have a dedicated STEM middle school, Tabb and Grafton Middle Schools are excellent. From 8th grade on, there are some other options as well. In particular, the Governors School is amazing. Tabb and Grafton High Schools are excellent as well.

Here is an excerpt from the York County Schools site:
Eligible students in eighth through twelfth grade are encouraged to select from the available advanced secondary program options which include: The York County School Division Honors Program, Virtual Virginia online courses, the International Baccalaureate Programme, Advanced Placement courses, the School of the Arts, Summer Residential Governor's School, and New Horizons Governor's School for Science and Technology. In addition, concurrent dual enrollment in cooperation with local colleges, seminars, and enrichment activities are available to eligible students.

As far as your county question, York County is the area from south Williamsburg to almost Langley (on a map, follow Route 17 and the Colonial Parkway to get the general idea). Yorktown proper is in the north part of the county near the river and the Coleman Bridge. In conversation, the two are often used interchangeably.

For where to live, look at the areas near Langley. I had posted this in another thread:

Look at the neighborhoods along Hampton Hwy and Victory Blvd. This area is sometimes called Tabb or south York County.

Check neighborhoods like Woods of Tabb, Coventry, Running Man, Woodlake, Wythe Creek, Greenlands, and Kiln Creek (the York County side). Here's why: proximity to base/easy commute, best schools in York County, easy to get to all shopping/entertainment, low crime/active Sheriff's dept, near library and YMCA, "building-controlled" (county maintains building restrictions to keep the open spaces), good resale value, lots of military/retired military/NASA makes these area very friendly, good county youth sports programs.

There were two other recent threads that might help. Check:
"Best Family Neighborhoods near Langley AFB" dated 12/5/15
"Best Schools for Gifted Kid near Langley AFB" dated 12/3/15

Old 04-02-2016, 10:33 PM

To TN Lilly, thank you for letting me know about Booker T Washington. I did not hear about that STEM program. I will look into it. To 12KatKim, please explain why you would not base your decision on STEM vs not STEM, just curious. I really appreciate the insight on where to live. When using websites to help find a home, which zip codes or towns should I use?

Old 04-03-2016, 07:48 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times
Use 23692, 23693 zip codes for lower York County home searches...

Old 04-03-2016, 02:17 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,089 times
OP, forget York County if you are interested in STEM. In all honesty, I'd avoid YC altogether. It has really gone down the tubes over the past 15 years. The board of supervisors there doesn't look out for the residents anymore. When businesses come in with big bags of money, they let them do what they want. The 23692 zip code especially has been crumbling as of late.

Also remember that you're getting advice from realtors on the York County move. They have no clue what they are talking about with education. I actually went to Tabb, and then went on to a STEM program in college(Computer Science).

The kids from the STEM schools in northern Virginia and Newport News were doing circles around me the first semester. I got to see firsthand how bad my high school education really was.

York County does not offer any STEM courses outside of basic maths and basic sciences. They offer no computer science, engineering, or technology courses. Their only "technology" course is drafting. That should tell you something.

The school system in York County is extremely overrated as well. While it was good 15 years ago, it is terrible today. People, especially realtors, keeps parroting the same "schools are good in York County" crap. This is because houses are more expensive in York County, and realtors have a vested interest to keep it that way. You should have seen these piranhas in 2007 during the housing bubble. I heard things like "You think it is expensive today, just wait 5 years!"

Also, there is nothing wrong with living in Newport News or Hampton. Sure, there are bad parts. Avoid the eastern side of Newport News and Denbigh. The center in Hidenwood is great. Menchville is also nice. Kiln Creek is half YC and half NN.

Newport News schools are pretty good, and I'd say some are MUCH better than the sacred Tabb High School. There's much more of an opportunity for bright kids in NN schools.

Hampton isn't bad in most parts, but I wouldn't recommend living there with a family. The school system is absolutely terrible.

If you're going to Langley, I'd also look into Poquoson. Great schools and a great place to live for families.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:19 AM

Thank you so much for the insight! I'm deployed right now but I'm definitely going to forward this to my husband to see as well..my son had a great time this weekend competing in Robotics competition and loves STEM..hope we can get him in to a program! Thank you again.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,881 times
Default Hello

So what would you recommend for those with a budget? Despite how well we have done over the years, we still can't afford much. My hubby is not of very high rank and we can only afford so much. Our budget leaves us searching for homes in the Hampton and various parts of NN. I've heard from other people that not all of Hampton is bad, nor are the schools. Even Zillow, realtor and Trulia have somewhat decent scores for schools. I would prefer to stay in the Tabb or Yorktown area, but I would have to buy a town-home and I'm trying to get away from that as it is.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
OP, forget York County if you are interested in STEM. In all honesty, I'd avoid YC altogether. It has really gone down the tubes over the past 15 years. The board of supervisors there doesn't look out for the residents anymore. When businesses come in with big bags of money, they let them do what they want. The 23692 zip code especially has been crumbling as of late.

Also remember that you're getting advice from realtors on the York County move. They have no clue what they are talking about with education. I actually went to Tabb, and then went on to a STEM program in college(Computer Science).

The kids from the STEM schools in northern Virginia and Newport News were doing circles around me the first semester. I got to see firsthand how bad my high school education really was.

York County does not offer any STEM courses outside of basic maths and basic sciences. They offer no computer science, engineering, or technology courses. Their only "technology" course is drafting. That should tell you something.

The school system in York County is extremely overrated as well. While it was good 15 years ago, it is terrible today. People, especially realtors, keeps parroting the same "schools are good in York County" crap. This is because houses are more expensive in York County, and realtors have a vested interest to keep it that way. You should have seen these piranhas in 2007 during the housing bubble. I heard things like "You think it is expensive today, just wait 5 years!"

Also, there is nothing wrong with living in Newport News or Hampton. Sure, there are bad parts. Avoid the eastern side of Newport News and Denbigh. The center in Hidenwood is great. Menchville is also nice. Kiln Creek is half YC and half NN.

Newport News schools are pretty good, and I'd say some are MUCH better than the sacred Tabb High School. There's much more of an opportunity for bright kids in NN schools.

Hampton isn't bad in most parts, but I wouldn't recommend living there with a family. The school system is absolutely terrible.

If you're going to Langley, I'd also look into Poquoson. Great schools and a great place to live for families.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twicalikat View Post
So what would you recommend for those with a budget? Despite how well we have done over the years, we still can't afford much. My hubby is not of very high rank and we can only afford so much. Our budget leaves us searching for homes in the Hampton and various parts of NN. I've heard from other people that not all of Hampton is bad, nor are the schools. Even Zillow, realtor and Trulia have somewhat decent scores for schools. I would prefer to stay in the Tabb or Yorktown area, but I would have to buy a town-home and I'm trying to get away from that as it is.

Thanks.
While Hampton is not great, it is not horrible. I would look into areas that are zoned for Bethel or Kecoughtan HSs since those are considered the better HS districts in Hampton over Phoebus and Hampton HSs. You still have to check out the elementary school you are zoned for but your chances are better with the two districts I mentioned. One of my favorite neighborhoods in Hampton is Michael's Woods which, last I checked, was in the Bethel district.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
While Hampton is not great, it is not horrible. I would look into areas that are zoned for Bethel or Kecoughtan HSs since those are considered the better HS districts in Hampton over Phoebus and Hampton HSs. You still have to check out the elementary school you are zoned for but your chances are better with the two districts I mentioned. One of my favorite neighborhoods in Hampton is Michael's Woods which, last I checked, was in the Bethel district.
Don't know if it has changed much since then, but I had numerous white friends that went to Hampton public schools(I went to church in Hampton growing up) and they were harassed horribly. Although one ended up lifting weights a lot because of the bullying, and he ended up playing football for Hampton University on a scholarship, so it seemed to work out for him.

I also worked in construction for a few years and remember doing some repairs on the homes in Michael's Woods. It's a "nice" area for Hampton. It has a great location, and is safe for the most part. The homes tend to be cheaply constructed. Although it was nothing out of the normal for the "pop up" neighborhoods of the 90s and 2000s. Just something to be aware of.

The unfortunate fact of the peninsula is that the education sucks. Period. Aside from the magnet/governor's schools, they're not going to compete with schools in northern Virginia, or the southside.

If they were my kids, and home schooling or private school was absolutely out of the question, I'd want them in either Poquoson or York County schools. It's much like our current presidential race: Lesser of the evils.

I know I blasted YC schools in my original post, and I stick to those opinions. Hell, I own a home in YC and have a vested interest in keeping property values up, and am still tearing it apart!

My beef is with the realtors that use the YC schools as a selling tool. The education in YC schools sucks. They have bullying problems at the middle schools(or at least they did in the past). You're also going to find a lot of politics in school sports. But at the end of the day, your kids are probably going to have a better experience at these schools than schools in Newport News or Hampton.

I just wish the idiots down at the school board would wake up, get with the times, and finally have YC schools live up to their reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area