Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,018 times

Advertisements

I've just received a job offer in Chesapeake, and am looking for some advice on relocating to this area. I'm a single woman in her late 30's with 2 small dogs. I am looking for neighborhood suggestions that would be a reasonable commute from the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake that would be safe to walk dogs, possibly with walkable coffee shops, restaurants or bars. For context I am moving from Seattle, which is an incredibly walkable city, but am aware that the community in this area is generally less transit and walking based. I would love access to amenities such as dog parks, beaches or hiking with my dogs. I am not into going out to night clubs, but enjoy having a craft beer with friends. Any advice welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 08:22 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
The number one piece of advice anyone can give you on these forums:

Live where you work.

Or if that isn't possible, live as close as possible.

Hampton Roads is a great place, but we also have some terrible traffic problems that seem to infect every corner. This is doubly true for the southside.

Greenbrier is a nice enough area. I wouldn't stray too far when it comes to apartment/house shopping.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:21 AM

Quality of life is dependent on what you are looking for in life. I would like to live in a smaller community, and though spoiled by the walkabilty of Seattle am willing to compromise that for other things I am looking for. As long as a community has the outdoor amenities I'm looking for with my pups, and I have a job I feel is a great fit for me that is all I'm looking for.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
OP still be careful what you ask for. Walkabiilty is a serious issue in Virginia period, doubly this part of the State. Think of it more like Los Angeles, or Atlanta, the walkability issue here is that bad.

It is not about being spoiled by walkability. It is about being practical. You live in the wrong place, and end up having a 45 minute to 1 1/2 hour commute every day you'll start to resent your job. Just pay the extra money to live closer to where you work. Especially if you end up renting, which most do here this is a very transient metropolitan area. Not sure if Seattle is or not.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
OP still be careful what you ask for. Walkabiilty is a serious issue in Virginia period, doubly this part of the State. Think of it more like Los Angeles, or Atlanta, the walkability issue here is that bad.

It is not about being spoiled by walkability. It is about being practical. You live in the wrong place, and end up having a 45 minute to 1 1/2 hour commute every day you'll start to resent your job. Just pay the extra money to live closer to where you work. Especially if you end up renting, which most do here this is a very transient metropolitan area. Not sure if Seattle is or not.
You seem to be assuming the question I have posed is related to wanting to pay less, which is quite a stretch from the information I provided, and frankly patently incorrect. I stated that I wanted a reasonable commute, which to me is about 30 minutes or less - not the 45-90 minutes you somehow came up with. I also mentioned that I am aware of the walkabilty issues in the area, but am asking for advice to see if perhaps there are any neighborhoods that are more walkable than others. I am seeking to ensure my safety and that of my dogs as part of this as well. Your response provides no advice, but instead seem to chastise me for wanting to explore options other than living across the street from the office.

None of the posts thus far have actually offered an advice on the availability of the amenities I am seeking, or provided a neighborhood other than that of the company I might go to work for or even confirm if that community has said amenities. I am certain there are neighborhoods that have a dog park, that would be within the 30 minute commute I am seeking, but have yet to be guided in that direction. If anyone can offer any neighborhoods that might fit the bill, I am hoping to receive that guidance.

Last edited by miloandpippamom; 12-18-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-18-2016, 10:17 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
OP, there are some nice looking apartments near what was Paradocks. I'm not sure of the name of the development, but they are actually walkable.

ETA: Sorry I think those would be rented by an owner. However, The Carlton at Greenbriar & Fenwick Manor would be walkable to the mall and a few resturants. Lakes of Greenbriar would be closer, but they look older. Where exactly in Greenbriar will you be working?

I should add I only drive through that area, but I'd have no issue living in the area.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:26 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
FYI: the Greenbriar area isn't far from Chesapeake City park. Although it's not huge it does have a dog park. There are several other parks and areas to hike within driving distance.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
FYI: the Greenbriar area isn't far from Chesapeake City park. Although it's not huge it does have a dog park. There are several other parks and areas to hike within driving distance.
Thanks so much for the information!

Old 12-19-2016, 02:19 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,379 times
Check out the Chick's Beach/Ocean Park area of VA Beach. It's on the bay rather than the ocean so is more subtle during the tourist high season, mostly locals. Plenty of restaurants/ bars etc.
If I were a dog the smell of salt air and pleasurable walks in First Landing State Park (just down Shore Drive on the way to the oceanfront) would rock my world for sure.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:36 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloandpippamom View Post
You seem to be assuming the question I have posed is related to wanting to pay less, which is quite a stretch from the information I provided, and frankly patently incorrect. I stated that I wanted a reasonable commute, which to me is about 30 minutes or less - not the 45-90 minutes you somehow came up with. I also mentioned that I am aware of the walkabilty issues in the area, but am asking for advice to see if perhaps there are any neighborhoods that are more walkable than others. I am seeking to ensure my safety and that of my dogs as part of this as well. Your response provides no advice, but instead seem to chastise me for wanting to explore options other than living across the street from the office.

None of the posts thus far have actually offered an advice on the availability of the amenities I am seeking, or provided a neighborhood other than that of the company I might go to work for or even confirm if that community has said amenities. I am certain there are neighborhoods that have a dog park, that would be within the 30 minute commute I am seeking, but have yet to be guided in that direction. If anyone can offer any neighborhoods that might fit the bill, I am hoping to receive that guidance.
Staying in the neighborhood in that of the company you work for is the most sound advice we can give. Unless you've spent a significant amount of time here it sounds antagonistic but it really isn't. We only say this because of the pain in the a*^ it can be getting around this place. A 5 minute commute, somewhere else, is easily 20 here. Sometimes you're better off walking.

I did suggest that it might cost more to get what you're looking for, and quite honestly, I don't know that you'll find it in Chesapeake because Chesapeake is a suburb of Norfolk and Portsmouth, which are the cities you would want to live in.

You could go with Lockdev's advice and go to Chesapeake City Park. And there are others. But the problem with Chesapeake is that it is not designed for a resident to walk to that park. You'll have to dodge cars crossing 6 to 8 lanes of traffic trying to walk there from your house/apartment unless you live directly next to the park. Chesapeake is not designed for anyone to walk anywhere, which is why you have the traffic issues that exist in that city.

Others mentioned apartment complexes that exist behind Greenbrier mall, and those go on until you reach Virginia Beach. Sure, they're walkable within the complex, but it is nothing like what you have in Seattle.

I'd try Ghent, Larchmont or even Lafayette in Norfolk. A few urban parks you could walk the dog around, and you get bike lanes in the street, so you don't have to be in the midsts of traffic trying to get there. The city has 12 dog parks, which you can see on this map.

http://norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1529

If you work in Chesapeake the worst you'll be is 20 to 30 minutes away. Maybe more depending on how bad the traffic is in Norfolk.

Greenbrier and Downtown Norfolk are the worst traffic pain points you'll experience in those cities. Military Highway, which goes from Norfolk to Virginia Beach to Chesapeake to Portsmouth, is pretty bad too. Norfolk is expanding Military Highway out to 8 lanes, but the traffic is really bad there at the construction site and will be bad again in Chesapeake when it goes back down to 4 lanes.

Chesapeake has 4 dog parks. Check out the following link for more information.

Dog Parks

Again, the primary difference is that, if you really wanted to, you could walk through the city of Norfolk to get to those dog parks, from wherever else you are in the city, without putting yourself at risk of the traffic. You simply are not going to get that in Chesapeake. I should have clarified this earlier as my post was vague without any specific information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area