Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:21 AM

9 posts, read 9,279 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for the advice. I just got notified that I need to move down to start my new position in October. We've contacted a couple apartment complexes in Grafton so here's hoping! Now it's time to purge, pack and train a replacement for my job here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 07:58 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinkster View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice. I just got notified that I need to move down to start my new position in October. We've contacted a couple apartment complexes in Grafton so here's hoping! Now it's time to purge, pack and train a replacement for my job here.
Careful of Grafton Station. It is not nice in any sense of the word. I had a friend that lived there and he was constantly having issues with neighbors being loud, whether it be hearing yelling through the walls or hearing bass from a parked car.

I would try to find a townhouse for rent. Most of the townhouses in Grafton are really nice.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:01 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Yes it is that bad. Consider that we do not have the underground network of roads that Boston has. And only two tunnels and a bridge to connect the Southside to the Peninsula. And it floods everywhere, so if the weather is bad you aren't going anywhere.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:51 AM

9 posts, read 9,279 times
Grafton Station??? crap. Ah well, we only intend to be there one year at most and then we will be looking for a house.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:34 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinkster View Post
Grafton Station??? crap. Ah well, we only intend to be there one year at most and then we will be looking for a house.
Did you even visit first?

A simple visit would have told you everything you need to know.

Hell, just read the reviews on Google.

A lot of people get wrapped up in "It can't be bad, it's Grafton!", but it's your typical low-cost apartment complex that just happens to be tucked away behind a shopping center off a main drag. Grafton would be much better off without it.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:23 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,054,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Did you even visit first?

A simple visit would have told you everything you need to know.

Hell, just read the reviews on Google.

A lot of people get wrapped up in "It can't be bad, it's Grafton!", but it's your typical low-cost apartment complex that just happens to be tucked away behind a shopping center off a main drag. Grafton would be much better off without it.
Some people don't always have the luxury of visiting. But usually looking up ratings/reviews on a number of sites should tell you what you need. This is what happened to me when I moved to DC. Didn't have time to search, but did a TON of online research and ended up with an apartment that worked well for my needs.

But yeah, NEVER simply assume that because an apartment is in a good general area that the apartments are good. A friend of mine lived in Grafton Station for a year or two as a kid... he said it was a dump then... and he was about 8-10 years I believe... meaning he realized it was a dump even as a little kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area