Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 3,801 times

Advertisements

Lousiana schools are ranked 49th in the country. Virginia schools are ranked 4th. I want to get my daughter into a great elementary school, but I think just moving to Virginia will be a big plus education wise. Are Hampton schools *really* that bad?? If we can get a place in Yorktown that's our first choice, but if we end up in base housing she may have to go to a Hampton school.

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,920 times
Grew up there, so know what you mean. Hampton has some decent elementary schools, but you have to pick and choose. See, e.g., Great Schools website Hampton Elementary Schools - Hampton, VA | GreatSchools and also suggest you look at the SOL (Standards of Learning - a highly mixed blessing to education, but overall scores do give you insight into the MINIMUM performance of the student body). See State releasing SOL results, accreditation ratings for all Virginia schools Thursday - Daily Press and also look at HPS website (Hampton City Schools) where you can find statistics on performance, demographics, etc. For the most part you can't go wrong with York County or Poquoson schools, with the possible exception of Yorktown Elementary. Use the above resources + YCPS website to check it out. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,775,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarcolese View Post
Lousiana schools are ranked 49th in the country. Virginia schools are ranked 4th. I want to get my daughter into a great elementary school, but I think just moving to Virginia will be a big plus education wise. Are Hampton schools *really* that bad?? If we can get a place in Yorktown that's our first choice, but if we end up in base housing she may have to go to a Hampton school.

Kim
Honestly, most schools in Virginia, scratch that, very nearly any school in Virginia, would be a step up from Louisiana. I live in KY which sucks in education also and spent K-12 in VA public schools, the difference is clear. I grew up in Hampton and ended up in private school, then eventually York County Schools when mom bought a place there. There are some schools in Hampton that will give a quality education, you just have to pick carefully. I'd avoid Aberdeen definitely since they have accrediation problems. CMikeF's advice is spot on.

If by base housing, you mean Bethel Manor, actually that is a good area for schools since (this is from when I grew up near there) they have an on base elemantry school and are zoned for York Co schools for middle and high schools.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 29,936 times
Default You're right

Also PCS'd here from LA. The schools here are better academically. No, Hampton is not an option. Get into Bethel Manor or the newer housing Frontier Crossing. If you can't, rent a home or townhouse in York County or Poquoson, or Seaford. Any York County public school should be your first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area