Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,588 times

Advertisements

As someone who lived in Virginia Beach, and was forced to leave due to the rising costs, I felt compelled to add my input. I loved living in VAB, it was the best 4 years of my life. But, my wages were not keeping up with the rising cost of living in the area. We left in 2003, just when homes prices began climbing. My wife and I debated whether we could stay or not. Then, my wife was told she was getting a pay cut. We were (are) raising a family of 3 children. Our families in Michigan wanted us back, we couldn't afford VAB, our bank account was depleting. We took the opportunity to cash in on our beautiful house. That was painful. We made a huge chunk of money upon selling it and returned to Michigan.

Fast-forward 5 years later. We have a bigger house and a much lower mortage and money in the bank. When we left VAB, I told my wife, "We are not staying in MI forever. We dislike it there, but we need to return so the kids can be with their grandparents, we can save up some money and we can do fun things again (amusement parks, going out to eat etc.). But the day will come when our time in MI is up and we will return to the South. We've decided that time is in 2 years, 2010.

God willing our house will sell by then (housing market is a nightmare here with the unemplyment rate/weather situation). If the house sells, we will return south, but probably not VAB. Though this would be great, after months of intense research Knoxville TN and Louisville KY are our current top choices. Very reasonable cost of living, no MI winters, great economies and no hurricane worries.

Virginia Beach was a wonderful part of our lives. We'd possibly be enjoying it again if it weren't for the insane rise in cost without the rise in pay. We miss it there. Hey, if some good-hearted resident wants to sell their 4BR house for a lot less than it's worth, send me a direct message!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,949 times
you gotta be kidding me!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:03 PM

I was indeed kidding (about the direct message, assuming that's what you meant). Leaving VAB was one of the more difficult things we've ever done. But we do realize things work out as God sees fit. Hopefully, that will involve us relocating to East TN or Louisville in the next year or two. It'd take a small miracle for us to be able to return to Hampton Roads, though I do believe in miracles. What really hits home is seeing our house, in Bucker Farms, again for sell (though at a far greater cost than we paid for it). A guy can dream, though, can't he?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM

Yep...the house I sold to the young couple 3 years ago is up for rent! I'm figuring they moved out of town, but who knows. They say young people don't stay long in one place.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:54 AM

239 posts, read 633,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
As someone who lived in Virginia Beach, and was forced to leave due to the rising costs, I felt compelled to add my input. I loved living in VAB, it was the best 4 years of my life. But, my wages were not keeping up with the rising cost of living in the area. We left in 2003, just when homes prices began climbing. My wife and I debated whether we could stay or not. Then, my wife was told she was getting a pay cut. We were (are) raising a family of 3 children. Our families in Michigan wanted us back, we couldn't afford VAB, our bank account was depleting. We took the opportunity to cash in on our beautiful house. That was painful. We made a huge chunk of money upon selling it and returned to Michigan.

Fast-forward 5 years later. We have a bigger house and a much lower mortage and money in the bank. When we left VAB, I told my wife, "We are not staying in MI forever. We dislike it there, but we need to return so the kids can be with their grandparents, we can save up some money and we can do fun things again (amusement parks, going out to eat etc.). But the day will come when our time in MI is up and we will return to the South. We've decided that time is in 2 years, 2010.

God willing our house will sell by then (housing market is a nightmare here with the unemplyment rate/weather situation). If the house sells, we will return south, but probably not VAB. Though this would be great, after months of intense research Knoxville TN and Louisville KY are our current top choices. Very reasonable cost of living, no MI winters, great economies and no hurricane worries.

Virginia Beach was a wonderful part of our lives. We'd possibly be enjoying it again if it weren't for the insane rise in cost without the rise in pay. We miss it there. Hey, if some good-hearted resident wants to sell their 4BR house for a lot less than it's worth, send me a direct message!!!
I have never lived in Knoxville or Louisville, but I spent time in Knoxville and from what I remember it was beautiful there and I heard Louisville was the same way. There were a lot of mountains and hiking/outdoor stuff to do. I would seriously consider moving somewhere like that if my wife would let me . We are kind of in the same situation where it is so expensive here that dreams of a house/family, etc. seem like it will be a dream forever. Due to high prices, most weekends we just sit at home and watch movies, we rarely go out and do stuff. I can't imagine what it would be like to raise 3 kids here unless you bought your house a long time ago. And if you think it was bad in 2003, it has gotten much more expensive.

Personally, I think you are better off moving to either of those areas. The house prices blow away anything here so you can get a much better place with an actual yard and trees and have plenty of money left over to do fun stuff. I moved here in 2003 and IMO this area has gone down hill in many areas since. Not only is it expensive, but they have torn down much of the "nature" that made it aesthetically pleasing. I know that sounds kind of lame, but when every other week they tear down the few remaining trees to build another nail salon and pizza place it starts to get ugly. The beach is the only real benefit I see compared to those other areas so if you like the ocean that may change things. But with the crowds I have never been a big beach person so that does not have as big of a draw.

Just out of curiousity, what did you like so much about VAB? Maybe I am just not giving this area a chance. I am kind of stuck here so I would really like to learn to like it here. Maybe I am missing something. I live in the Great Bridge area of Chesapeake so maybe that is different than VAB. I seem to lump all of the seven citites together.

Anyway, I know it is hard to not be able to move to the area you really want, but I think you would be happy in Knoxville or Louisville. I wish you and your family luck and if/when you do move let us know what you think!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 AM

Hey there, Chesapeakesim. Enjoyed reading your post, and to hear someone in a similiar situation we found ourselves in. Coming from a small town in West MI, VA Beach offered so much with a much better weather climate. But ya know something...so do a lot of places. To be honest, I think some of what we enjoyed about VA Beach was that we "escaped" the freezing rust belt of Michigan and we were independent of our families for the first time. I suppose had we moved to Knoxville or Louisville, or any number of places, and were forced to leave we'd have similiar feelings toward that city. Granted the ocean was so nice, but indeed crowded.

I think that if we sell our house and end up in either of the 2 aforementioned cities, we'll be just as happy as when we lived in VA Beach (at least I hope so). At the very least I know we'll be able to afford it!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
TNKY wrote:
I think that if we sell our house and end up in either of the 2 aforementioned cities, we'll be just as happy as when we lived in VA Beach (at least I hope so). At the very least I know we'll be able to afford it!
One of the original attractions of living in Virginia Beach back in 1990 was the BELOW average cost of housing and overall living costs compared to the national average. Moral of the story: Conditions change over time.

Although Knoxville & Louisville might be very affordable NOW, it is no guarantee that they will remain that way. Places get discovered, and an influx of people move in and drive up the prices. Both Knoxville and Louisville are currently being discovered by more and more people. Make your move soon if you can, and get in before prices start spiralling upward like they did in Virginia Beach. My Virginia Beach home TRIPLED in value during the 15 years we owned it.

Good luck selling your home, and good luck finding a great new home in your next location....wherever that might be.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:41 AM

19 posts, read 44,422 times
Agreed. My DH makes over 100,000 and we got our "bargain" house 2 years ago for 304,000. It's in a great school district - Red Mill - but, we are living hand to mouth in our 1950 square foot home with a family of six (we have 4 children). My DH hasn't had a pay increase for nearly 3 years and it is very frustrating to work so hard and then at the end of the day still feel so stressed because you give so much and get the minimum back.

Right now, we are looking to relocate. My DH found an employer out-of-state that will pay him 30% more and the cost of living and cost of homes is about 20% less than the average here. Wish us luck. It's way too expensive here.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM

with 4 kids, I can understand why one income wouldn't be enough! Sometimes it doesn't work for large families on one income unless you live out in the country and can grow your own food and make your own clothes! Have you considered looking in Gates County? Houses are much cheaper and so are the taxes. My only question about relocation when you have a good job, is can any other employer match the bennies?

Old 09-08-2008, 03:02 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,112 times
Default I feel your pain

I moved to Chesapeake (Deep Creek area) from Ohio 2 years ago and went into sticker shock. We ended up buying an average house for $350,000 and barely broke even when we sold it a couple weeks ago. My husband and I made over $125,000 between us and we still had a stroke each month when we wrote out the mortagage check. We felt the same way you and your wife did, though.
The real estate in that area wasn't that expensive a few years ago and a lot of folks bought their houses before the market sky-rocketed. It's now coming down a little at a time. Unless you are in a hurry, I'd wait a little longer because I keep hearing predictions that the market will stumble more before it hits bottom. Some of those predictions I heard from real estate agent friends of mine. I have friends still there who are stunned at how much equity they have lost so far. Also, unless you have to live in a certain area, consider moving to the Peninsila area which is less expensive than VA Beach or Chesapeake.
Look into extending the life of your loan or putting more down also. At least it will bring the payments out of the stratosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area